if I get this service is the internet capped or not

Message 1 of 5
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by (Former Employee)
Accepted by beckyww
‎09-14-2018 1:32 PM

Re: capped internet

That would be between you and your ISP. Getting DTVN would not alter your agreement with them, any caps would remain.

The exception would be if you use an AT&T phone, the data might be "sponsored" and thus not count toward your cap, if any.

I'm not sure what the situation would be if AT&T is your home internet provider, they might have some deal, but I don't know if they even have caps, AT&T is not my ISP.

DTVN uses a LOT of data. If you have any sort of cap on your internet service you would need to be careful, and of course be aware of other options that might use less data.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 5
ACE - Master

Most ATT internet service plans do have caps.  (1G Fibre service is no cap.)  You can remove the cap for a monthly fee ($30 last I checked).  Customers who bundle some ATT video services (specifically DTV and U-Verse) with their ATT internet service get "no cap" included as a benefit.  However, there is currently no special casing of ATT internet service for DTVN customers.  DTVN video data is sponsored on (most) ATT Wireless (prepaid and postpaid consumer) plans, but only when the DTVN app is running on and displaying on a mobile device (phone or tablet) and using ATT mobile data (directly or via hotspot).

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 5
ACE - Master

Interesting, I didn't know most AT&T internet service was capped.

I just got an email from my ISP (Century Link) that says they have some sort of deal if I sign up for DirecTV Now, PS Vue or YTTV. The mail was pretty thin on details (contact us), and I suspect it is "new subscribers only". Wouldn't matter as far as caps since I have none, but I wouldn't mind paying less for internet service. I wonder if other ISPs have or will have similar arrangements with streaming sources.

Spectrum continues its efforts to "retain" me (I'm no longer a subscriber). They are now offering to guarantee me in writing no caps or throttling for at least 3 years. I didn't bite, I have no caps now and pay less for better service. It does seem to indicate they realize people care about caps and throttling.

Message 4 of 5
ACE - Master

Most of the caps are (I believe) 1TB, so unless you have DTVN (or another live streaming service) and run it many hours a day and/or on multiple TVs, you are unlikely to be impacted by the cap.  (That is why it is both irritating and somewhat understandable why they remove the cap as a perk of bundling with DTV or U-Verse  but not DTVN - with those services, you are unlikely to be impacted by the cap, so it's easy for ATT to offer to remove it.  DTVN customers are much more likely to be impacted by the cap and so would benefit by having it removed - so they don't...)  I don't know what percentage of ATT Internet customers not also bundling DTV or U-Verse, and so would be potentially impacted by caps.

Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...
Learn all about the recent Changes to DIRECTV NOW Packages!
Additional Support