Helpful Links

NFL Network

Highlighted
Contributor

NFL Network

When will NFL Network be available on DirecTV Now. It is available on Sling's Lowest Tier, and seeing as DirecTV offers it as well as NLF RedZone that it would be a no brainer for DirecTV Now to also offer if on their lower tier in order to stay competitive with other streaming services.

Message 1 of 10
Scholar

Re: NFL Network

We all agree. We would really like NFL Network and Redzone, and access to the NFL Network app. AT&T seems to disagree. There really has been no indication these channels are coming to DirecTV Now, except for a company representative dropping a hint in a chat session. I discounted that as the usual 'lost in translation' effect in support chat.

Message 2 of 10
Professor

It's also their choice in what they offer at a price. They do offer several packages to a wide range of users. None of these streaming services will ever be able to satisfy everyone. If one has a desired interest in a particular content then they should go where that content is being served. We all have the alternative to go back to cable at any time. 

Message 3 of 10
ACE - Professor

I would guess that they don't disagree that "We all agree. We would really like NFL Network and Redzone, and access to the NFL Network app." (though to be technical, I don't - I gave up on the NFL years ago...)  However, agreeing that (a significant percentage of) their customers want something, and their being able (or at least willing) to offer it within the financial constraints they are under are two different things.  Remember, sports channels are the most expensive ones for a carrier to get.  The last numbers I saw, the ESPN set cost them over $9/month/subscriber, and NFL network by itself was $1.40/month/subscriber.  (I assume RedZone is considerably higher than that, but I wasn't able to find a cost number.)  $1.40 is a very significant amount for them to add to the cost for a subscriber who might well be paying only $35/month (or less, with a promotion) - less of a hit for higher tier subscribers, but still pretty significant.  My guess is that they were in negotiation with the NFL to get those, but the NFL played hardball (yes, a mixed metaphor) - preferring to lose potential customers than to get those customers at a reduced rate, and without a (separately charged) sports package to include those in, DTVN apparently couldn't make it work financially. (I'm sure they would have if they could have.  Sports fans - especially NFL fans - are very loud and demonstrative.)  The solution may well be a sports add-on, but so far DTVN has avoided (for whatever reason) having add-ons except for the "premium" channels.

Sling doesn't offer NFL network on their lowest tier (Orange) - it offers it on Blue, and since NFL fans would almost certainly also want ESPN (only on Orange), those customers would get Orange+Blue (significantly more expensive).  And to get RedZone, you need the Sports Pack, for another $10/month.  So, on the upside, those are actually available on Sling, but on the downside, not actually/realistically available at the lowest tier price.  Like I said, a add-on solution like that could be made to work financially, but DTVN has resisted that approach.

And DTV having things is irrelevant to DTVN - they are completely separate services with different financial models, and DTV is relatively more expensive per (significant) channel than DTVN, making it more practical to include more expensive channels.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 10

In early August I had a chat rep tell me that DTN was going to get NFL Network and Redzone and they would be an extra charge per month. Obviously that info was bogus. I waited as long as possible before signing up for the Sunday ticket app for college students. Have a son at VCU so it was 99 dollars. Has been reliable but the bitrates are not as high as DTN so the PQ is not as good. I am hopeful that they will have these options for next year. I do miss NFL Network.

Message 5 of 10
Contributor

Certainly DTN has itself in a corner with all of the $35 promo customers, but one solution would be to add the NFL Network to the biggest $70 package.

As for Redzone, I believe Direct TV deals with this channel as an add-on along with MGMHD and HDNET. Maybe a Premium tier would be ideal for DTN.

Message 6 of 10
ACE - Professor

I'm not sure how large a percentage of its customer base are still grandfathered Go Big subscribers or are Live a Little customers  (especially those brought in by the ATT Wireless Unlimited promo) - and Live a Little includes ESPN, TNT, and FS1, which I believe are their 3 most expensive channels (TNT due to sports, not its other programming). - but it's probably more than they'd like and less than we all picture.  RSNs can also be expensive, though they don't come in until the $50 Just Right.  If sports were moved to one or more sports add-ons (perhaps a basic one with the main nets and one with the more niche ones) with appropriate costs, then either the cost of the basic tiers could come down, or they could spend more on non-sports programming and features, or a combination.  However, I'm not sure if they would take ESPN out out of the basic tiers - it's likely viewed as a needed draw - and I wouldn't want to lose TNT.  Perhaps leave the basic channels in the main tiers, but move the rest (including NFL network) to one or more add-ons, and make RedZone a separate add-on (not sure what NFL charges for RedZone)?  Also not sure what to do with RSNs. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 10
Teacher

Last year I was with Sony Vue. Red Zone was made available, but not for the lowest level package. So I had to go up $10 per month for the package which included NFL Network, then  $10 per month to add the Red Zone.  I had no hesitation in raising my costs for 4 months.  DTVN could make them a premium package and charge $15 - 20 per month and I'd cough up the money. Unlike other sports, NFL regular season is only 4 maybe 5 months.

Message 8 of 10
Professor

Maybe next year but you will just have to get over it with DTVN this year.

Message 9 of 10
Teacher

Yeah I think they might have to have it as an add on sports package.

Message 10 of 10
Share this topic
Announcements

CBS, CW, Showtime, PopTV - all coming soon to DIRECTV NOW. Learn More! Official Press Release.

AUDIENCE Network’s Mr. Mercedes pilot episodes available for free. Access Here!

Additional Support