Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Loss of local channels

Loss of local channels

We are using the Alexa Fire Stick and have lost all of our local channels after a few months of service. Both TVs with separate devices have lost them b

Message 1 of 8
ACE - Expert

Re: Loss of local channels

Can you get the locals on your mobile device (phone)?

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 8

Yes. We also deleted the app and reinstalled it. The channels are still gone. 

Message 3 of 8
ACE - Expert

Your cell phone uses GPS to determine your device location and with GPS it knows exactly where you are located. Whereas your streaming device uses your IP address for device location. The exception is with Apple devices. They keep up with cell towers and WifI locations used and store into a database. When you use the device it checks the database for location. My guess is that either your ISP's IP address is not in the local location based on your billing zip code to receive the local or the geolocation services used by DTVN has just miss-identified you as not being in the local area. You can check what some of the geolocation services think you are located by going to https://www.iplocation.net/

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 8

So according to my phone the IP address is coming from a different zip code no where close to us. Is that the same thing on our FireStick?

Message 5 of 8
ACE - Expert

Your phone is using GPS to determine location rather you are connected to WiFi or not. That is why you get locals. Streaming devices and computers use your providers IP address assignment to you to determine where you are located. That can be anywhere in the country and changes as they need port for connections.

Message 6 of 8

Any ideas on how to fix that?

Message 7 of 8
ACE - Expert

You don't. If you had them they may come back at some point (and go away again). I would check with your Provider and confirm your IP address and if true see if they can move it to your local location. Obvious that based on your phone GPS location you are located in your local area.

Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support