Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Local channels while traveling

Employee

Local channels while traveling

I am wanting to know if your local channels go with you or is the local channels based on location?

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 1 of 24
Scholar

Re: Local channels while traveling

Yes, it is based on location, you won't receive your locals on the road / out of your area.

However, you should still be able to get the big four (abc cbs fox NBC) from the city in the area your're in if available in that city.

Message 2 of 24
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by Administrator (Administrator)
Accepted by ATTLiz
‎08-08-2018 10:07 AM

Not quite correct (though it seems that it should be).  How it appears to actually work is slightly more complicated.  Determine which of the broadcast nets you get (DTVN carries) at your home (billing location).  You will get any of those networks wherever you travel if DTVN carries the local affiliate for the network.  However, you won't get any that DTVN carries if you don't get that network at home.  For example, if you get ABC, NBC, and Fox at home (DTVN carries affiliates for those networks at your billing address), and you travel to a location where DTVN carries the affiliates for ABC, NBC, and CBS, you will get ABC and NBC, but not CBS.  This also applies for CW and I assume any other broadcast network that they might carry.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 24
Scholar

Locals are not based on your billing address they are based on your ISP location. Should be your billing address and then when you travel you still get your locals.

Message 4 of 24
Mentor

Not quite correct about some of the "Not quite Corrects".

One of my only gripes with DirectvNow, is that I DON'T GET ANY Local Channels at my home/zip code. Simply not available. (Worse part is, I pay the same as everyone else who do get their local ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX.

However; I just recently traveled to my father-in-law's house in Albuquerque. He has DSL and I had my Ipad connected to the wifi. Bored on night, I turned on the DirectvNow app. Low and Behold; besides my normal "Go Big" package; I also got the local albuquerque ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX stations on my Ipad. They were available to watch.

So, sort of a combination of the above 2 posts.

1. When traveling; you DON'T get your home local channels; you get the ones for the area that your internet is connected to. (If DirectvNow supports locals there)

2. You DON'T get ONLY the local networks as you do at home when traveling; e.g. only CBS and NBC if that's all you get at home. I get ZERO at home; but got all 4 when traveling

Message 5 of 24
Contributor

Wife is traveling with an iPad to Columbus Ohio area. When she access the DTVN app, it populates but everything she tries to do gives her a blank screen stating streaming is not available. Any ideas?

Message 6 of 24
ACE - Expert

Well that is sort of correct also. The system is not perfect by no means. I think you were just lucky. The geolocation service just did not catch-up to you yet. I have had that happen also. I am retired and travel extensively during the year. Seen about all the combinations. But the rules that DTVN uses is:

"If you receive them at home (ABC, NBC. CBS. or FOX) and traveling to a location that DTVN offer the networks that you do at home then you should be able to receive the locals in that area. If not then they will not be available."

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 24
ACE - Expert

Tell her to logout of the services, reboot, then log back in.

Message 8 of 24
Contributor

Thanks it was not just locals, all channel and my recordings also.
Message 9 of 24
ACE - Master

While local channels (affiliates of the major broadcast networks) are geolocked, the national "cable" channels are not, and work everywhere.  If none of them are working, it is possible that the service is being blocked by the WiFi provider.  For example, I have had hotels block streaming services because they would use too much bandwidth out of the hotel's limited shared capability.  If she has a smartphone (ideally with ATT mobile service, to avoid data charges), she can try the DTVN app on that using mobile data rather than WiFi, to see if that is possibly the case.  If that works, then (again, if on ATT mobile data), she can use the phone as a hot spot for the iPad - that usage would still use sponsored (free) data.

Message 10 of 24
Guru

I think as of this week, DTVNOW has changed the way they determine what Locals and RSNs we should be receiving (at least for PC and the Chrome browser). My Guide is now 100% accurate for the first time ever (showing correct RSNs). 

I never really cared because the recording and playback always worked for my proper Locals and RSNs in the past, but it is nicer that I no longer have to visit the Fox Sports Go website to watch my RSNs live. I also assume that if we were to travel to a different State, we'd still get our Account-based Locals and RSNs (even showing on the Guide), unless DTVNOW isn't finished with all the stages of its "new" Location update, and reverts back to somehow incorporating the Account Zip Code with another kind of geo-locator that is less forgiving.

The DTVNOW system now seems to be based more accurately on your Account Zip Code, so if you live in one region/State, but visit another region/State, I assume that you'll still get the locals and RSNs that match your account Zip Code. I don't know if the roll-out applies to all zip codes, or if some still need to be added or fixed, but if you are using a computer (wired, but not sure if wifi would also work) and the Chrome browser like I am, you should no longer be affected by where your ISP/VPN says you are. Perhaps the new Chrome browser system just checks that you are in the USA (rather than where exactly in the USA you are), and then checks your zip code attached to your account. 

For all I know, the system might eventually go back to the inferior method of relying on the Account Zipcode just for recording purposes, but not as strict for viewing purposes (allowing for the viewing of out-of-market locals due to Guide errors). Although the old system (applying to the PC/chrome browser situation) was recently updated to be more restrictive for its viewing of out-of-market RSNs, the out-of-market Locals were still subject to Guide errors due to inaccurate location techniques. 

This change could also be the beginning of stricter and more accurate geo-location checks for all the devices that work with DTVNOW, so keep your fingers crossed that this "update" for at least the PC/Chrome browser isn't just some kind of BETA test that will soon fail, or is only limited to some Zip Codes for the next year or two.

Message 11 of 24
ACE - Expert

I agree with you. For the first time I am receiving all my home locals where ever I travel. Never been able to do that. I can even watch them. Think something has changed?

Message 12 of 24
Guru

Since it's good news, it's probably just a bug that will eventually be removed, or something that will break every few weeks/months. 

#Negative Thinker 

Message 13 of 24
ACE - Master

I’m pretty sure that isn’t how it should work, and isn’t how it worked this past weekend for me - I got the locals for the location I was at, as I expected. This was using Apple devices (so with location services). Are both users reporting getting “home” stations while traveling using PC/Chrome?

Message 14 of 24
Guru

I haven't traveled, however, since we are dealing with the Chrome browser, it is much better to restrict us to our home locals ALL the time, rather than always leaving the door open to "virtually" travel to other locations (VPN, etc.), even if we haven't actually left our home.

I doubt that this new, more-restrictive location technique would be applied to devices with GPS, or at least more accurate geo-location methods than the Chrome browser, but for something like the Chrome browser, it does make sense that this is a compromise that will please most subscribers, and still keep the local affiliates happy, as long as those traveling outside of their designated local region for longer than a few months, at least go back into their account and change their Zip Code to reflect their new location.

A chat session might be necessary to get any Zip Code change we later make, to actually work properly, and although relying on the honor system to get subscribers to do the "right" thing isn't going to be 100% successful, I think it's still a great compromise that should be kept intact. It's actually quite refreshing to see DTVNOW make a change that should please more subscribers than it upsets.

Message 15 of 24
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Learn all about the recent Changes to DIRECTV NOW Packages!
Additional Support