Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Discovery, ID and TLC apps do not have Directv now as a provider

Highlighted
Teacher

Discovery, ID and TLC apps do not have Directv now as a provider

When are you going to be able to let us sign in to these apps on apple tv? We can only watch these channels live, can't rewind them 72 hours, and most of the shows we like to watch on these channels are locked due to you not being a provider. We went with your service instead of sling tv, and I am wondering if I am regretting this decision. I am paying $35.00 a month for this service and we should be able to watch on demand shows using the apple tv apps considering I am paying for these channels on your lineup. 

Message 1 of 34
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by (Former Employee)
Accepted by beckyww
‎07-11-2018 3:51 PM

Re: Discovery, ID and TLC apps do not have Directv now as a provider

Getting a network live and getting access to that network's app are 2 different things, each of which cost the carrier money.  The $35/month you are paying isn't a lot (compared to - for example - cable), and they need to make calls as to what content they spend your payment on.  DirecTV Now has chosen to get more live channels, even if they don't always have app access for those channels - other services might make different choices.  Odd that you would offer Sling as the alternative - as best I can tell, Sling doesn't offer any of the Discovery Networks channels at all, live or by app.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 34
Teacher

jrandomuser, "as best I can tell",based on the timestamps on your replies and your many cute "badges", you are either being paid by att to respond on these forums or you have no job and no life. Apparently all you do 24 hours a day is respond on forums. I didn't come here for sarcasm. I came here as a new customer to let Directv now know of my disdain with some of their lineup, and to try to find out if anything was being planned in the future. As you know, their "online chat" is not with a real person, but with a computer that only spits out pre-determined answers. There is no real help to real questions there. They also have no customer service number listed on their website. So my only option was to come to this "community forum". If I could have contacted them directly, believe me,I would have. My comment about slingtv was just meant to say that they are not the only game in town.  I would appreciate it if a real employee would contact me with some real answers, not just sarcasm about my comments.

Message 3 of 34
Mentor

This won't help you now but best is to do research before signing on to anything.. These are the apps available..

https://help.directvnow.com/hc/en-us/articles/215395423-Use-your-DIRECTV-NOW-account-to-access-netwo...

Message 4 of 34
Teacher

Thank you! We used this last night to obtain logins for the apps that we could. It was disappoint to see Discovery can only be watched live. Hopefully they will get them on board soon.

Thanks again.
Message 5 of 34
Mentor

I hear you. I'm a big TCM fan so I'm hopeful that gets added.

Message 6 of 34
Contributor

For a long while (many months) I was able to sign in to many apps using the “direct tv” option, and then signing in with my direct TV now info. This included Discovery ID, TLC,  and many others. I just noticed today that I  can no longer do that. However on many of my apps, direct TV now is an option, so, no big deal. I just signed in with that. However, as previously stated Discovery ID and TLC do not offer this as option and is very frustrating because I watch shows on these networks often, but I obviously can't always catch them live and I'd like to at least be able to go back and watch them later on, in the app. 

Message 7 of 34
ACE - Master

You were able to login into those apps selecting DTV as the provider because of a bug/loophole in their authentication system (probably related to the beta test of the new DTVN system).  With them being in the process of redoing the authentication ATT-wide, this hole is being closed - I would expect it to be closed for everyone eventually.  As far as getting the Discovery Networks apps - I am sure they are aware people want them.  The problem is likely that (most) people aren't willing to pay more to get them, and Discovery Networks apparently wants to charge DTVN more than DTVN is willing to pay for app access (at least without DTVN increasing their per subscriber income).  We hope that eventually DTVN and Discovery negotiate a workable fee.  DTVN does have some amount of on-demand for those networks in their on-demand library, but as with most things there, a lot of episodes appear to be missing, and new things take a while to arrive.  The DVR is also coming, so in the not too distant future, you will be able to record the shows.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 34
Contributor

If it weren’t for a few channels that my wife likes, I’d be going back to PSVue where I can get access to those on demand services. The other upside to the 3rd party apps is that the users no longer have to experience the constant buffering. Support is useless and I build networks so I understand that my service shouldn’t buffer. It just amazes me that rather than invest in their service, DTVN would rather hire people to be trolls on their forums. 

Message 9 of 34
Tutor

We chose DirecTV Now because it had TLC for my wife. I am extremely unhappy that we can't access the TLC Go app, because she loves to watch old episodes and preview episodes. I am getting constant grief from her about this which makes me an EXTREMELY unhappy customer each and every day. 

She is going to force me to go back to Comcast any day now, and you will lose a customer. Nice job!

Message 10 of 34
ACE - Master

As may be - they never claimed that they supported that app, and if it's a choice between having the rates go up (to pay for the TLC and other Discovery Networks apps) or live without the TLC app, I'm more than happy to live without the TLC app.  I believe that PS Vue has both TLC and the TLC app, but it is missing all the Viacom and A&E networks channels.  Sling, YouTube TV, and Hulu Live don't carry TLC or the rest of the Discovery Networks channels at all.  The streaming services (including DTVN) are discount/budget services - at least compared to full featured cable or satellite services - you shouldn't expect to get just as much content and features for a much smaller amount of money.  I would assume saving money is the reason you left Comcast in the first place - there are tradeoffs...

Message 11 of 34
Tutor

Well, you don’t care about TLC, but I care very much. We are all different. Because it matters so much to my wife, I would be willing to pay a few more dollars a month for better TLC access, as I do for HBO now.

So I’m not asking for something for free if that would raise rates for everyone. I am asking DirecTV to come up with a way to sell me what I want and need, and make a few extra bucks in the process. The alternative is reducing my net promoter score to negative digits, until I just go away.

And by the way, I left Comcast only because they wanted to charge me $40 a month to lift the 1 TB usage cap. I had very little quibble with their content prices.
Message 12 of 34
Contributor

FYI. You can search for shows on demand through the Directv Now app. This works for shows I have on Discovery since we can’t access them on the Discovery Go app. 

Message 13 of 34

I was excited to find out that Amazon has a made a deal with discovery to get access to all of their shows. Thousands, upon thousands of shows from the discovery network just got added to amazon prime, so if you are a prime member, who needs access to the discovery go app? Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 34
Tutor

Now that DTVN is jacking their rates by $5 in the next month (or 14%) with that extra revenue they are making they should now be able to afford the additional buck or two that it costs them to add Discovery Network Go Apps included in their price.  Especially when Discovery are now offering some of their full episode programming for free on the new "Dreams - TV for your Phone" app by "Dreams Media Incorporated, Inc."  Other than continually stuttering video on older flagship phones that have absolutely no issue smooth streaming on all of the 'GO' apps, Netflix, You Tube, etc.  'GO' apps are essential until DTVN is actually no longer Beta even though they indicate otherwise...  72 hour rewind doesn't work either...

Message 15 of 34
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Learn all about the recent Changes to DIRECTV NOW Packages!
Additional Support