Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Direct tv now using Chromecast

Highlighted
Contributor

Direct tv now using Chromecast

I recently set up my Chromecast device to my tv in bedroom. My question is I am aware that I have to install direct Now TV app on my mobile device to cast from my mobile device to the TV via the Chromecast. However are you not able to just set up DirecTV through your Chromecast device and not your mobile device? What I mean by that is I don't have to use my mobile to cast. I can simply use my TV Remote turn on my TV which the input is set up with my Chromecast device and begin watching my streaming channels 

Message 1 of 13
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by Administrator (Administrator)
Accepted by ATTLiz
‎08-08-2018 9:18 AM

Re: Direct tv now using Chromecast

No.  The Chromecast doesn't have a User Interface (or any apps) of its own, so there is no way to tell it what to do without using an app on another device - all it can do is display the specific stream it is told to by something else.  The control interface "lives" in the app that does the casting - that sets up the stream that the Chromecast then displays.  Your TV remote can't do that.  Yes, you can control the TV with its remote, and have the input set to the Chromecast, but there is no way to "statically" set the Chromecast to display DirecTV Now (or anything else) - in fact, that doesn't really even make sense, since the Chromecast can only display the individual stream it is told to, and DirecTV Now is not a stream, but a service that offers a bunch of them.  The app (on another device) decides which stream you want and (more or less) tells the Chromecast to display it.  (Effectively the same thing is true if you want to watch Netflix via a Chromecast - you need something - the Netflix app - to set up what on Netflix you want to watch, and pass that to the Chromecast.) 

To do what you ask, you would basically need apps in the Chromecast itself - in which case it becomes the Google equivalent of a Roku or Fire TV.  This is why I don't really see the point of a Chromecast - it is pretty much half of (say) a Fire Stick (the streaming video display half) and leaves out the user interface and app running half (which it pushes back into a mobile device or computer).  But even though it is effectively half of a Fire Stick, it doesn't cost any less than the Fire Stick.  (And if you would prefer to use an app on a mobile device to control one of the streamers, they all have apps that you can use...)   Maybe when it first came out it allowed more content, since pretty much any streaming app on a phone could quickly be modded to support it, while making an app for the streaming devices was more work.  But now, (almost all?) the major streaming devices have apps for (almost all?) of the services that people would want to use.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 13
Contributor

OH NO!  Just bought a 4K TV with Chromecast and was hoping to go with DirecTV NOW in the future.  Not if I have to cast from my phone and use that battery.  Is this updated?  What's the current status?

Message 3 of 13
Contributor

You do not use your phone for Direct TV Now unless you want to... You can also stream to your TV from your phone... If you don't have wifi then you would have to stream through your phone service...  But if you have WIFI you can use the fire stick to watch Direct TV Now...  When I signed up for Direct TV Now ATT gave me a fire stick...

Message 4 of 13
Contributor

How can I get my Direct tv now to stream on my already built in chromecast tv. It doesn’t work at all. They are both on the same wifi connection. I can stream all other apps except Direct tv now. So I know is not my device but the app itself. 

Message 5 of 13
Contributor

I wanted to try to switch to directv now but the app is so horrible.  I have tried sling tv and youtube tv and both cast perfectly fine on all 3 of my chromecast devices but the directv now app cant cast successfully on any of them.  If I can get it to even play the video (after restarting the device and my phone multiple times) it doesnt have sound.  I cast youtube or sling and it works perfect.  Hulu or netflix also cast just fine.  It's just a directv now app issue not my wifi and not my devices.  I really wanted to switch to this too.  

Message 6 of 13
Contributor

does anyone know if Google Chromecast is working with AT&T to develop a working app for Direct TV Now streaming service?  It needs to work on the "built-in" Chromecast TVs (Android TV) but it appears from this forum not to be available yet.  Direct TV Now sells their packages stating it will work with a Chromecast streaming device but I don't understand why that app does not work with the built-in TV version (Android TV).  I want to stop my YouTube TV subscription and Sling subscription and replace them with Direct TV Now.  I have two Android TVs where Chromecast is built in, but don't see the app available for them.

Message 7 of 13
ACE - Expert

No one here in this forum would know. We are only subscribers like yourself. You could try the Feedback tab located on all the pages in the Help Center.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 13
Professor

Last time I tried casting from any DirecTV NOW app or web page to an Android TV's built-in Chromecast, it worked fine. Sideloading the Fire TV apk onto an Android TV also works fine. 

Are you sure you understand the concept of casting? When you cast, there is no app on the TV. You just pick the cast icon in your DirecTV NOW app on your phone/tablet/PC, and it displays on your TV.  It never launches or requires any sort of DirecTV NOW app on your TV. You control the app on your phone. That's how casting via Chromecast works with everything.

If you're talking about loading a DirecTV NOW app on your TV, not casting from some other device running the app, then you can just sideload the Fire TV apk onto your TV. Just search for sideloading to learn how to do it. I run the DirecTV NOW app on a couple of Android TV devices with no problems.

What exactly is the issue you're having? Can you tell me exactly what make/model devices you're casting to and from?

Message 9 of 13
Contributor

Thanks for your reply. I'm not trying to cast Direct TV Now from a mobile device or tablet to my TV. I understand how to do that. I simply want a Direct TV Now app to install on my Android TVs. If "sideloading" requires the Firestick streaming device/hardware, I'm not interested. I want the built-in Chromcast function to display the Direct TV Now app so I can install it and start my subscription.
Message 10 of 13
Professor

Firestick isn't involved. Find the FireTV apk online and sideload it. There are many posts in this forum and avsforum with links to the file you need and instructions.

You just re-stated your two completely opposite goals again. Chromecast is for casting from a phone/tablet/PC, period. If you want to run the DirecTV NOW app on your tv, then sideload it. Chromecast has absolutely nothing to do with it.

The built-in Chromecast CAN display DirecTV NOW. Just run the DirecTV NOW from any device EXCEPT your tv and cast it to your tv. That's how Chromecast works, and it works with DirecTV NOW just fine.

If you want solutions, you'll have to answer the questions I asked earlier.

Message 11 of 13
Contributor

Hey you're right but I do want solutions and I do know what I'm talking about. There is no Chromecast icon organically in the direct now app, this is correct? And because of this, you must first launch the now app and select the movie you would like to watch, and then you would need to open Google home and cast your media that way or, alternatively, you would have to use the smart view option from the slide down menu. I'm not trying to sound smart and I'm pretty sure I sound ignorant because I'm not articulating this well but my question is this, how do I mitigate reduce prevent or fix this dang lagging, glitch, crappy audio and video quality that I'm experiencing since I'm having to use Google home to cast and not just the direct now app to cast to my Chromecast. Does that make sense at all I'm just desperate for help cuz I cannot seem to watch a movie without it looking like pure crap and I don't know if I'm missing it but the drag now app doesn't seem to allow you to cast from within like most others, Netflix, YouTube etc. Please excuse the poor grammar and run on sentences have used as I decided to talk to my phone for this. 

Message 12 of 13
Professor

Complete instructions for using DirecTV NOW with Chromecast:

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/directv-now/KM1245892

Why do you cast rather than use a streaming device that can run the DirecTV NOW app natively? I typically only cast as a last resort because they quality is never that great, as you said, and it's a pain to set up and control. 

Message 13 of 13
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Learn all about the recent Changes to DIRECTV NOW Packages!
Additional Support