Explore & discover

Helpful Links

DIRECTV Now xbox app

Tutor

DIRECTV Now xbox app

The website says they are working on an native directtv Xbox app... 

I'm currently using YouTube TV on the Xbox and it's really good, but since I have better value with directv. Is there a way to solve this? 

Or I need to cancel direct TV now? 

Message 1 of 20
ACE - Master

Re: DIRECTV Now xbox app

I would simply use a supported device. The Xbox is a power gobbling boat anchor.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 20
ACE - Expert

You need to cancel. The new app is being pushed and based on the documentation there is no reference to the device in the future.

According to AT&T starting today the following devices will get the new DIRECTV NOW app with DVR:

• Apple iOS 10+
  • Apple TV (4th gen & higher running tvOS 10+)
  • Chromecast (2nd gen & higher for iOS)
  • Chromecast Built-in TV (Select models only)

New directvnow.com watch experience on:

• Google Chrome browser
  • Safari browser

AT&T says that recent-generation Android, Fire TV, and Roku will get the new app in the coming weeks.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 20
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by Administrator (Administrator)
Accepted by davidbk
‎05-17-2018 11:08 AM

The website does not say they are working on an XBox app.  It says an app is "Not yet available" for XBox, which is the same thing it has said since the service launched a year and a half ago.  Some people read the "yet" to mean that they are working on one, but that is a stretch - it could mean that, but it could as easily mean that they at one time thought about doing one or said something about maybe someday doing one, so some Marketing person put that on the web page and nothing else has happened about it since.  You have to use a supported device, which at this time the XBox is not.  However, you can apparently plug a supported device (like a Roku stick or Fire TV stick) into the HDMI input on the XBox, and avoid input switching.

Message 4 of 20
Tutor

I have a 4K Tv, I like video games, The Xbox allows me to have everything in one device... it has an input hdmi so I’ve connected a chromecast. I can cast direct tv now from my phone. But it's really bad experience! It's slow... sometimes crash...

I’m asking for a native app since they are offering one about a year ago

Message 5 of 20
Tutor

Yes I have a chromecast connected but the experience is really bad. Nothing like native app... 

Message 6 of 20
ACE - Master

Well, like I said, they have never offered a native XBox app and they have never even officially said they are working on one.  It might  happen at some point, but I wouldn't expect to see one anytime soon, so in the meantime your choices are continuing to use the approach you are using (perhaps with a different device than a Chromecast) or to plug the other device directly into the TV and switch inputs as needed.

Message 7 of 20
Highlighted
Contributor

An Xbox One needs to happen as soon as possible. I'm on the fence of which streaming service to use, one is available on the Xbox, the other is not (DIRECT TV NOW). If I chose DirectTV I'd have to buy new streaming equipment for 3 different TVs, adding to the start up cost. If there was an Xbox One app, it would be an instant choice to use DirectTV as I wouldn't need new equipment. Please try to expedite the process of an integrated app. Over 30 million Xbox Ones have been sold in the US. That's a pretty high install base.

Message 8 of 20
ACE - Expert

It's not going to happen! With the last app release and the issues it has caused with Apple devices (and its not even been released for Amazon and Roku) It want even be a consideration this year.

Message 9 of 20
ACE - Master

The only way it would happen is if Microsloth decided it was in their interests. If you want a port I'd talk to them.

Given their current problems, I wouldn't want to see DTVN put resources into a new port, and 30M new users would bury them.:-)

Message 10 of 20
Contributor

what current problems? the Xbox One works flawlessly.  Get your facts straight dude

Message 11 of 20
ACE - Master

Whether the Xbox One works flawlessly or not (which I would guess it doesn't - nothing is flawless) is irrelevant.  There is no DirecTV Now app for Xbox, and there won't be unless and until DirecTV Now decides it makes sense for them to devote the resources needed to making an app to run on it - if it is even possible given the resources (codecs, DRM modules, etc.) that exist on the Xbox.  The problems that @beww357 referred to are ones that DirecTV Now has been suffering with their recent service and app updates - nothing to do with Xbox.  Until they resolve all their current issues, DirecTV Now isn't going to be devoting resources to new platforms, and once they do, Xbox may or may not be high on their list of additional platforms.

Message 12 of 20

what a twit.

Message 13 of 20
Contributor

What I do is use AirServer Xbox the app cost $20 BUT (I make new accounts and use FREE trials) with this app on your Xbox you can cast the DirecTV Now app to your Xbox as if it was AirPlay and watch like that. that’s the closet way

Message 14 of 20
Tutor

@Jrandomuser Your Your June14,2018 1:10am comment is quiet possibly the most laughable and unintelligent thing I have seen on these forums.  It clearly shows you have little knowledge of the subject of which you speak.  “If it’s even possible given the resources...on the Xbox one” are you working with a  Commodore 64 as your most advanced piece of technology?  They could creat an app that would work on the Xbox in very very little time if they wanted.  AT&T U-verse has been on the Xbox for YEARS (since the Xbox 360).  YouTube’s been on for years.  Netflix longer than any of them.  So to say if its even possible given the current limitations of the Xbox is absolutely laughable and shows your lack of knowledge or Your just playing stupid.

The fact has very likely been a windows based app since the inception of the service and for some reason they have chosen not to put it out.  In fact even if Microsoft for some reason denied them the ability to use a Windows (Xbox) app on the Xbox, they could just as easily turn around and make a version that works in the internet explorer or edge browser and not need Microsoft’s approval of an Xbox app.  The truth is there is a very specific reason they have chosen not to support Microsoft devices or browsers.  What that reason is, I do not know but it’s very obvious they have gone out of there way not not support these devices and software.  I find this very disrespectful to its customers when a large amount have asked about this and AT&T refuses to give a truthful answer.  If they don’t want to support them then they should have the courage to simply come out and say “we aren’t going to support them, the reasons are our own so stop asking.”  But that wouldn’t make since since U-verse is supported on Xbox and Microsoft browsers.

Message 15 of 20
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Learn all about the recent Changes to DIRECTV NOW Packages!
Additional Support