Explore & discover

Helpful Links

DIRECTV NOW New TV Experience

Community Support

DIRECTV NOW New TV Experience

We’ve been looking forward to telling you about the new TV experience - and here's what you need to know.

SO WHAT’S DIFFERENT

• True Cloud DVR (BETA).
    • Every package automatically gets 20 Hours of free recording storage.
    • You can also skip quickly through commercials with your next generation digital recorder.
    • Functions may be limited in beta. Compatible device required. Not available for select channels. Data connection required. Recordings expire after 30 days.
    • If you’re coming up on your 20 hours limit, you will be notified. If you exceed, the first recorded program listed will be removed to make room for the newest one.
    • How to manage recordings with True Cloud DVR
  • Streaming, Plus One.
    • You now have the option to add a third stream to your account for $5 a month, so three people can be logged in and stream all at once.
    • Keep in mind that streaming a recorded program, VOD, and third party apps also counts as a stream.
    • How to upgrade your plan
  • Extra Sweet Stuff.
    • Travel with your Locals – granted the local is also available in the market you’re traveling to, you can now stream your local channels when you travel.
    • Less Searching, More Streaming – find favorite shows and movies faster with customizable search.
    • Entertainment, Uninterrupted – you’ll never miss a beat with our new layout, because your stream will be playing in the background, or on a pop-up.

Stay tuned for more good news!

- DIRECTVNOWCare

Need more help? Search through the DIRECTV NOW Community for great answers. Get diy help with your account, device setup, and streaming with DIRECTV NOW eSupport or contact us 24/7 on chat. Don't forget to follow us on Twitter @directvnowhelp!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 1 of 318
Community Support
Solution
Accepted by topic author Community Support
Accepted by DIRECTVNOWCare
‎05-15-2018 7:22 AM

Re: DIRECTV NOW New TV Experience

COMPLETE TV EXPERIENCE ROLL-OUT

Bookmark this article to stay posted on the Complete TV Experience as we roll out on all our supported devices.

• Available Supported [devices and dates will be added as they roll out]
    • New TV Experience available on our web platforms (Chrome, Safari 10+). Effective May 15, 2018
    • New TV Experience available on iOS (10+) and tvOS (4th Gen and up). Effective May 15, 2018
    • New TV Experience available on Chromecast (2nd Gen and up). Effective May 15, 2018
    • New TV Experience available on Android (5.0 and up). Effective May 22, 2018
    • New TV Experience available on Amazon Fire TV (2nd Gen and up) and Fire Smart TV. Effective May 23, 2018
    • New TV Experience available on Roku (these models). Effective June 4, 2018

Stay tuned for more good news!

- DIRECTVNOWCare

Need more help? Search through the DIRECTV NOW Community for great answers. Get diy help with your account, device setup, and streaming with DIRECTV NOW eSupport or contact us 24/7 on chat. Don't forget to follow us on Twitter @directvnowhelp!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 318
ACE - Professor

The "True Cloud DVR" is still labelled as "beta", is it available to all subscribers?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 318
Community Support

Hey @beww357 - for the supported devices for the new experience, it's available to all subscribers. We’re still testing it out and want to make sure customers understand that they’ll likely see a few more tweaks around the edges as we work on it. We’ll keep everyone updated on this great new service, but until then we can all use it to record shows we want to watch.

Supported devices (5/15) iOS, tvOS, Chrome, Safari, Chromecast

-DIRECTVNOWCare

Employee Contributor*
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 318
ACE - Professor

Thanks, the "beta" tag was confusing, I'd lose it if it's now released.

Don't ask how, but I was able to get a sneak peak at the state of the art equipment being used for the True Cloud DVR:

http://www.digitrakcom.com/literature/VR2000BbrochureWEB.pdf

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 5 of 318
Professor

@beww357 luvv it! I thought they were going to usecomputer-carving-caveman-28866012.jpg

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 318

... and that’s proposed <laughing>

@DIRECTVNOWCare -

Are you then allowing access thru test flight for iOS and tvOS for the general user or updating the released app and still labeling it BETA?

BTW if released today, then my prediction of 5/15 wins then, how about a free year service?

Tags (1)
Message 7 of 318
Guru

Well it appears as though the rumers are coming true after all and we now have the facts which is a good thing. Nothing was said about 4K and Dolby. Hopefully there will be more info in the near future.

@beww357  I want one...lol.

Tags (1)
Message 8 of 318

...some more info and h265 and 5.1 across all channels would be a nice announcement. 

Tags (1)
Message 9 of 318
Guru

"Keep in mind that streaming a recorded program, VOD, and third party apps also counts as a stream."

Wondering about the third party apps as it was my understanding they do not count as a stream. Did something change?

Tags (1)
Message 10 of 318
ACE - Professor

"I want one...lol."

No you don't, weighs 1300 pounds, requires 30 amps of power plus a source of 120 PSI compressed air.

I probably earned over $100K in overtime maintaining those monsters over the years. :-)

Tags (1)
Message 11 of 318

What select channel won’t be able to record? 

Tags (1)
Message 12 of 318
Professor

@Gazoo119 No way Third party apps count as a stream, they wouldn't even know

Tags (1)
Message 13 of 318
ACE - Professor

"No way Third party apps count as a stream, they wouldn't even know"

If the authentication was done through DTVN they would know that you had at least logged into the network site, whether they would know you were actually watching or not, and what, I don't know. They would also need some way to know when you had stopped watching or logged out.

Tags (1)
Message 14 of 318

tough board, AT&T -

hope y’all are ready for community scrutiny. 

Tags (1)
Message 15 of 318
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support