Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Can DirecTvNow work on a 2015 Samsung Smart TV?

Contributor

Can DirecTvNow work on a 2015 Samsung Smart TV?

I am trying to get Directv now.  I have a 2015 Samsung UN48J5500.  Samsung says it should work if Directv makes it available, since the interface is identical to the later models which Directv does support.

I'd  rather not buy yet another device if I can avoid it.  Is there some way to load the directv app onto my Samsung other than the main app interface?

Message 1 of 4
ACE - Expert

Re: Can DirecTvNow work on a 2015 Samsung Smart TV?

Nope. Just buy a cheap device and start enjoying. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe DTVN app is nested on the TV sets that are capable of use, not available thru a smart hub download. 

Message 3 of 4
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by dawfedora
‎10-16-2018 12:13 PM

It isn't accurate for Samsung to say that all the Tizen TVs are software compatible.  (With a couple of exceptions) the 2015 models used Tizen 2.3, the 2016 models used Tizen 2.4, the 2017 models used Tizen 3.0, and the 2018 models use Tizen 4.0, and each of those uses its own SDK.  If there were no changes (just bug fixes), there wouldn't be new versions (with their own development kits).  There are obviously significant differences, because you cannot update an older model to the newer software (I have a 2016 that I have updated to the latest available for it, and it is still version 2.4).  There is absolutely no reason for DirecTV Now to not include additional models that would work without changes - doing so would limit their potential customer base with no benefit to them.  So my guess is that there are changes/enhancements that Samsung has made through the various releases of Tizen that the DirecTV Now app uses/depends on, and the app will not run on the older versions, regardless of what Samsung says.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...
Learn all about the recent Changes to DIRECTV NOW Packages!
Additional Support