Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Being able to stream local channels on direct TV on the internet on laptop computer while traveling.

Announcements...
Learn all about the recent Changes to DIRECTV NOW Packages!
Tutor

Being able to stream local channels on direct TV on the internet on laptop computer while traveling.

I have spoken with 3 different people at customer service and gotten 3 difference answers, but my husband when he travels STILL cannot watch local channels on his laptop with our Direct TV when he travels. He particularly likes to watch the football games and other sports that he can ONLY get on the local ABC, NBC and CBS. 

We were told that we couldn't get them one time - that Direct TV didn't have the agreements. 

A second time, we were told we could go to the local channel on the internet and log onto it using our Direct TV username and password. Never could figure out how to do that.

This last time, was told as long as we had the "location" turned on on the computer, that we should be able to watch local channels. I tried that. They were still NOT available when I logged onto my account.

With DISH, he NEVER had any issue. What is the deal?

Maryla [edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]

Message 1 of 10
ACE - Expert

Re: Being able to stream local channels on direct TV on the internet on laptop computer while travel

I travel all the time and take my devices with me. Yes - you can get locals out of your home based. If you receive them at home (ABC, NBC. CBS. or FOX) and traveling to a location that DTVN offer the networks that you do at home then you should be able to receive them. If not then they will not be available. Just the way it works. You may have to logout of the device and then log back in. There are always hiccups and I have had that happen where you just do not get them. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 10
Tutor

Re: Being able to stream local channels on direct TV on the internet on laptop computer while travel

We DO get the locals at home, but he hasn't EVER been able to get them while traveling. What are we doing wrong? He is trying to watch on his computer, but I don't think he can get them on his phone either. Occasionally he watches on the phone.

Message 3 of 10
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Have you verified what local affiliates are available in the location where he travels. You can use the look-up tool to see located here You will not be able to receive your home based locals away from home.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 10
Tutor

I reread your first statement in light of the second. I realized I misunderstood the first one. I think now you are saying that if you are traveling in the environs where everyone receives your local channels (yes we get them, Montgomery, AL 8, 12, 20 and 32 - etc.) - then he CAN get the locals, but if he travels say to Mobile, he could still watch the locals but only the Mobile locals. Is that right? Is that what you are saying? 

I tried to get the locals on my laptop - sitting RIGHT in my house, and it said that they were not available. I forget the exact language. I could try it here at work and it would probably give me the same thing. 

DISH was so easy. I am not sure why this has been sooooo hard. Maryla Webb Studer 

Message 5 of 10
Tutor

Thanks so much by the way for trying to help!! 

With DISH we could get OUR locals no matter where he went. ???

Message 6 of 10
ACE - Expert

That is correct. If you receive them at home (ABC, NBC. CBS. or FOX) and traveling to a location that DTVN offer the networks that you do at home then you should be able to receive them. If not then they will not be available. Just the way it works.

Message 7 of 10
Professor

@Manna6 You keep saying DirecTV. Do you have DirecTV satellite service, or are you talking about DirecTV NOW streaming service? They have different rules. We've given you the rules for DirecTV NOW.

Message 8 of 10
Tutor

I am not familiar with all of the lingo. We have Direct TV satellite service at home. But on the road, my husband signs into our Direct TV account to use Direct TV now I assume streaming service. Does that help? Am I understanding it correctly? Maryla 

Message 9 of 10
ACE - Expert

No. The 2 services are different and requires a paid subscription to each service. Do you have a subscription to each one? You can not use your DirecTV credentials to use DirecTV Now. 

Message 10 of 10
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support