Explore & discover

Helpful Links

AT&T TV on a Samsung Smart TV.

Tutor

AT&T TV on a Samsung Smart TV.

I'm still not understanding how to get AT&T TV on our Samsung TV.  Can the app be uploaded directly to the TV?  An AT&T service rep told me I didn't need any other devices.  We use an AT&T Motorola router for our internet connection.

Message 1 of 37
Professor

Re: DirectTVNow on a Samsung Smart TV.

Rep lied. 

Message 2 of 37
Tutor

So what do I do?

Message 3 of 37
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by sonnydog
‎11-19-2017 10:07 AM

Re: AT&T TV on a Samsung Smart TV.

You need a supported device.  The current list is here.  The only smart TVs that are currently supported with native apps are TVs that have built in one of the outboard devices that are supported (Roku TVs and Fire TV Edition TVs) - everything else needs to use one of the outboard devices from the list. 

I'll be more charitable and say that the rep likely didn't lie but was ignorant/untrained in AT&T TV.  My experience is that most ATT employees from divisions other than AT&T TV don't really know this product, and many seem to claim knowledge that they don't have, rather than admitting this and/or looking it up.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 37
Professor

If you say something that you believe to be true but isn't really true, is it still a lie? What about if you purposely make up something to make a sale? I'd say there's a difference between an ignorant/untrained salesperson and one that will just say whatever the customer wants to hear or just make up something when they don't know the answer. If I don't know the answer to something, I say, "I don't know", I don't make up an answer. If I'm speculating, I'll say so and use terms like possibly, likely, probably, etc. We'll never know what the salesperson was really thinking, but I'm sticking with lied. If we publicly call them out on it, maybe AT&T will start training salespeople on their products and services. After all, their job is to know the product they're selling. Is that really asking too much?

The other day an AT&T salesperson came to my door trying to sell me internet and TV. I asked about speeds and they told me they had the highest speed available because they used fiber. So I clarified - fiber to the node, not to the home, right? They said fiber to the home. I asked why there was still a copper phone line coming to my house and why I hadn't seen any digging on my street in the 20 years I've lived here. They insisted the fiber was there underground ready to be hooked up. I closed the door.

In any case, AT&T will give you a Roku or Apple TV essentially for free, so what does it matter?

Message 5 of 37
Tutor

Can a Roku Streaming Stick also work to use DIrectTVNOw on a Samsung Smart
TV?
Message 6 of 37
ACE - Master

Certainly - any of the supported devices, plugged into an available HDMI port.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 37
Tutor

Roku Streaming Stick is not on the list of supported devices that I saw from DirectTVNow, that is off because they have a promo offer that gives you one free.

Message 8 of 37
Professor

There are 4 Roku sticks on the list of supported devices. I agree the latest isn't on the list yet, but all current Roku models work fine.

https://help.directvnow.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000637383

The thing I don't like about the stick is it's bluetooth only, so you can use a universal remote with it. If you don't mind juggling remotes, then the stick would be ok. The new Express is the same size as a stick and works with a universal remote.

Message 9 of 37
Tutor

The problem with using a Roku (for example) plugged into the Samsung TV HDMI port, to host the DirectTVNow App, is that they both devices require internet access.  While some people are OK using the same WiFi channel for each and starving out bandwidth for other WiFi devices, I prefer to use the hardwired Ethernet port which supports dedicated 1GB rates.  But now I would have to also use a switch to split the Ethernet to multiple devices (the Roku and the Samsung TV).  It a shame the app platforms are not standardized, write the app once and use it anywhere, like on any android cell phone - why not on any TV platform.

Message 10 of 37
ACE - Master

I don't really see a problem there.  Whether they are wired or on WiFi, at most one is actually going to be streaming at a time (either an app in the TV or an app in the Roku, not both), and in any case, the data rates aren't that high by modern standards: depending on encoding, under to well under 10Mbps for HD and under to well under 25Mbps (30 if you are overly generous) for 4K.  A problem for 802.11b, but at most marginal for g, should be fine for n, and should be no problem at all for multiple streams on ac.  And your 1Gb (not GB) Ethernet isn't actually that speed to those endpoints, because neither the TV nor the streaming devices have gig-E ports, just 10/100 ports.  As it turns out, I actually am also not generally a fan of wireless when I can run wired, so I have Ethernet running around the house, and switches at most of the end points (so yes, the TV, the media streamer, and other things are hanging off a (GbE) switch in the living room, and similarly one in the family room, etc.  The switches aren't expensive - $10-$15 each when caught on an online sale.

And nothing is that standarized (nor should it be) - yes, writing to Android allows you to run Android apps on any Android cell phone, but not on an iOS cell phone.  Similarly, writing to Android TV allows you to run Android TV apps on any Android TV (but not Roku, Apple TV, or all the rest).  I'm sure Google would like standardization to the point that the only smart phones that existed were Android, and the only smart TVs that existed were Android TV (and the only personal computers that existed were Chromebooks), but I doubt that everyone else would be thrilled with that.

Message 11 of 37
Professor

While I also do wired when possible, I agree that wired is vast overkill for streaming devices that max out around 10Mbps. At last count I had at least 30 devices on my Wi-Fi, no issues whatsoever (laptops, phones, game consoles, TVs, streamers, printers, thermostats, lights, etc.).

But if you insist on wired, use Fire TV instead of Roku. It has an Ethernet port. Some Rokus also have ports, but you’d have to make sure it’s on DTVN’s list. 

Message 12 of 37
ACE - Master

A number of the supported Rokus have Ethernet - I have a Premier+ which does.  Also included are the late 3rd gen Roku 2 and 3 (models 42xx), the Roku 4, and the Ultras.  However, none of the Sticks or Expresses have Ethernet, which apparently means of the current models, it is only the (new) Ultra.  For Fire, the new model Fire TV doesn't have Ethernet, but Amazon has an Ethernet adapter ($15) that works with either the current Fire Stick or the new Fire TV.

Message 13 of 37
Contributor

you use the directv now app, or any other app you want to do the same thing for on you smart phone and stream your phone to your smart tv using Smart View (If you have an Android Samsung) on your phone to connect to the smart tv.

Message 14 of 37
Mentor

Get a better router. All my devices are wireless and I can stream anything I want, wherever I want and on any device I want. You are clearly overstating this. Yes if you have a 30 dollar router don't expect much over wifi. Open up your wallet and get a decent router that can handle multiple devices and streams and all your issues are gone. 

Message 15 of 37
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support