Explore & discover

Helpful Links

AT&T TV on LG Smart TV

Highlighted
Contributor

AT&T TV on LG Smart TV

Is there any place to suggest and vote on device support and features? I really like AT&T TV but, I would much appreciate it if they had an app in the WebOS store on LGs smart TVs.

Message 1 of 20
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by Community Support (Community Support)
Accepted by ATTCustomerCare
‎07-24-2019 1:33 PM

Re: AT&T TV on LG Smart TV

Unfortunately, NO. I would not expect a app in the near future with the development of the new UI expected either the end of the year or first quarter 2018.  I expect nothing then. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 20
Contributor

Re: DirecTV Now on LG Smart TV

It is coming sooner than later. I spoke with someone directly through LG's live chat and I was told that the DirecTV Now app was about to go live for consumers but there was a "glitch" in the app which caused it to be sent back to the programmers. As soon as the "glitch" is fixed it will go live she said.

Message 3 of 20
ACE - Master

Given the imminent (next month or 2?) release of the "next gen" apps (and back end), this seems an odd time to release what I would assume to be an "old gen" app (and an odd diversion of resources, unless LG paid for it).  Of course, we have no particular reason to believe that LG's front line Customer Service reps are any more reliable than DTVN's, so I might take that comment with a moderately large sized particle of sodium chloride...

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 20
Contributor

I was only able to obtain from an AT&T store that it will be 3 to 6 months before the APP is available on LG and Samsung Smart TV's (if reliable). Their primary focus is Roku, Apple Tv's  and Amazon Fire Sticks, hence the free promos. If they had it available now integrated in the TV's I would ditch cable. 

Message 5 of 20
ACE - Master

I would not believe anything you hear from an ATT store about futures that far out - and would tend not to believe much they say about DTVN at all.  The seem pretty ignorant of the product, and it is unlikely that future plans are disclosed to first line reps and salesdroids.

Message 6 of 20
ACE - Master

At least he has a local AT&T store. The closest one to me would be a 500 mile round trip. :-(

DTVN is spending a ton of money on advertising, but the ads give almost no idea what the product actually is. One mentions a "tiny box", but doesn't mention that you have to buy it. No mention is made that it is an internet-based service, and the distinction between DTV and DTVN is not made clear.

Unless you are already familiar with streaming, the information available from the stores and the ads is pretty much worthless. I think their ad blitz is setting them up for a lot of disappointed, or at least confused, customers.

Message 7 of 20
ACE - Master

Well, that is a question - what should you expect the customer to know about a class of product going in.  Certainly for their initial target customers (cable nevers, who were almost certainly customers of one or more of the on-demand streaming services), "streaming" would be adequate to tell them what they were dealing with. 

For the broader community (especially less tech aware who might be looking to cut a cord), it is more of a question.  I'm not sure how many really are so tech unaware that they wouldn't understand this, however.  And if you read the directvnow.com signup info to the end, the FAQ there does say you need internet.  However, it doesn't emphasize it, or say anything about the needed internet capabilities, and while it mentions devices, it doesn't really go into detail - at least until you go to the FAQs (Help Center). 

To compare, I looked at the same for PS Vue - their "home" (signup) page, and their FAQs.  It turns out - almost identical.  They never mention the word "internet" until you go to either their FAQs (where the don't actually say it, but they have a FAQ that discusses needed internet speed - as does DTVN) or a "fine print" page, which just says "robust internet needed".  Both in the "signup" info make mention that you can run on a variety of devices (and offer a link to a list), but both seem to assume you have the basic idea.  I haven't checked Sling, Hulu Live, or YouTube TV recently, but as I remember, they are all fairly similar. 

Then, I went back to look at the same for DTV - and it never once mentions the words "satellite" or "dish".  They talk about the capabilities of the set top boxes, but nothing about how it works - I guess it is just magic.  Pretty much the same for U-Verse.  And the comparison chart amongst the three services also talks capabilities and features - nothing really about requirements, for any of them.  (This is slightly more of an issue for DTVN because it is more self-service than the others, but only slightly.) 

I guess everyone assumes that customers know something about their service before they arrive - to what extent this is a valid assumption, I don't know.

Message 8 of 20
Scholar

My LG 4K UHD HDR TV has the Directv app but not the DTVN app. I believe that down the road when AT&T merges DTVN and Directv (Directv already streams to subscribers without a satellite dish) into a common streaming entertainment offering, that is when LG will carry the app. Until that happens, you will have to use a streaming player or purchase a tv with a streaming player already incorporated into it. I wish I have the DTVN app on my tv too. 

From what I have been reading in the forum, Facebook and reddit posts for dtvn subscribers, AT&T has already started to merge dtvn and directv att access ID (email addresses) into common accounts in preparation for a number of upcoming changes and conversions. 

Message 9 of 20
ACE - Master

I have spoken with more than one person who, seeing a TV ad for Sling or DTVN, seems to think it's a direct replacement for their present cable TV for $20 or $35/month. If all you have to go on is the ad, it's a reasonable conclusion, which is probably the intent.

Granted, it's the older person who falls into this trap, and most people do at least know what "streaming" is (even if they think it's only Netflix). Netflix may be responsible for dissatisfied DTVN users, they expect DTVN to be as rock solid as Netflix is today, and are probably unaware of how it was in the beginning.

DTVN is clearly targeting a younger demographic. Personally I could not care less what is "trending on social", but that's the first category if I arrow down from a program.

I'm 63, but I'm a retired TV and IT engineer, so I may know more than most folks my age. I've been using the internet since 1985, so I know a bit about that too. Archie search anyone?

Message 10 of 20
Scholar

Yeah I'm 63 and know where you're coming from. I'm also 63 and my son explained the streaming entertainment to me. He's a staunch sling tv subscriber but I did some homework a year and a half ago and chose PS vue. I switched to DTVN so the wife could watch channels not offered on vue. Only things I gave up was the DVR (Hopefully that comes around soon) and the NFL network (I can watch TNF on Mobil device and cast to my tv or tablet if need be). I am very happy with DTVN on my Roku 3.  
Message 11 of 20
ACE - Master

I'm certainly satisfied with DTVN, it has allowed me to abandon cable, but I knew what I was getting. I can understand why some folks are not happy, especially if they live in an area where buffering is a problem.

I have never seen buffering on DTVN, but I sit directly on the internet backbone (old AT&T Long Lines route) in an area with very few users.

I wonder if the almost simultaneous ad blitzes by both Sling and DTVN have put strains on the infrastructure that neither service alone could have anticipated.

Message 12 of 20
Contributor

Got an email from DirecTV Now today announcing support for Samsung Smart TV. Hopefully LG TV / WebOS followed soon!

Message 13 of 20
ACE - Master

There is a "feedback" button at the bottom of the main support page:

https://help.directvnow.com/hc/en-us/articles/210968526-Contact-customer-service-

Message 14 of 20
Contributor

I use DTVN on PC but just got LG big screen with all trickiest for my 80th B-Day and real disappointed it cannot get DTVN. Cannot even Airdrop on Apple

Message 15 of 20
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support