Explore & discover

Helpful Links

AT&T TV app on Samsung smart tv

Teacher

AT&T TV app on Samsung smart tv

I have (what I thought was) a great smart tv.  I was excited to add AT&T TV to my Samsung smart TV. Only to find it is not available and I have to purchase a device to use it.  Really disappointed in Samsung. I have Roku and AppleTv on my other TVs but the big TV is smart so I thought for sure it would work.  

Any way AT&T TV can convince Samsung to add it??

Message 1 of 22
ACE - Expert

Re: Directv now app on Samsung smart tv

@bcbsncjlj wrote:

Don't count on it. Smart TV's are like computers - over time the components become obsolete and no longer supported. Never but a smart tv - instead buy the best dumb tv and add a streaming device. when that goes out you can buy a new model very cheap. this way your tv will last till it dies.

Absolutely.  Most TV's still cost many hundreds of dollars.  Streaming devices less than $100 and are focused on the streaming experience.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 22
Contributor

I can never go back to a non smart TV and my whole house is Samsung so it's all connected. With all the other great features and capabilities the new Tv's can do, me having to purchase a Roku or Fire Stick is such a small price to pay. Since the new streaming devices also feature higher resolution, you won't be missing too much in that dept. Directv is the only service we use that we can't get on our Samsung smart TVs, Smart Blu-Ray players, or Xbox One. Seems we may need to ask Directv to make themselves more available. Another option may be to have ur TV stream from your phone. Haven't tried Smart view for Directv yet but I Love that feature. Good luck. 

Message 3 of 22
ACE - Master

DirecTV Now (not DirecTV) is I'm sure aware that there is interest in having a native app for Samsung TVs (which would be written by DTVN, not Samsung - Samsung doesn't create the apps for their TVs, though in some cases they might pay for the app to be developed).  However, DTVN seems to have enough trouble dealing with the platforms they already have (including the new UI rewrites) to expect any new ones soon, and even then I'd guess that Samsung is not the top entry on their list for something new.  But perhaps someday - they did mention it at one point. 

@Hutchfantastic5 - Samsung doesn't support Chromecast casting, and I'm unsure what you are expecting out of Smart View - it seems just a smart remote (with two-way communication with the TV, so it displays on the phone some info from the TV).  But the only streaming it supports is of (some) local media on the phone.  In any case, I don't see that it would impact use of the DTVN app - unlike Chromecast casting or AirPlay, which the app supports directly, there is no support in the app for Smart View (I don't even think direct app support is a Smart View feature).   It doesn't even provide screen mirroring as far as I can tell, though maybe it does from Samsung phones?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 22
Teacher

I have multiple Smart TV's (Samsung & LG). Though the sets are 4k; their Apps often are not; and honestly I rarely use anything but my new Apple 4K unit that came 'free' with 3 months prepaid of DirecTV Now.

That offer will end soon; and is the smartest marketing I can imagine. Not to mention I now have AirPlay for music and everything I might mirror from my iPhone or iPad. I spent 30 years in broadcasting and have never seen a smarter and better system than what AT&T is now doing (I combined DirecTV Now, with AT&T Gigabit Fiber, and AT&T Wireless Enhanced Plus; so free HBO as well). With DirecTV 2.0 and DVR in the cloud only getting better; it blows away the competition in my humble opinion. Only thing missing is CBS local in my city (Orlando). Oh; most streaming services give zero locals; so that's a plus for DirecTV Now, which is as perfect as I can imagine (tried it over a year ago not so good; now refined and likely to get even better)

Message 5 of 22
Contributor

Having same issue with my LG Smart TV.  Dunno why Direct TV will not make an app for smart TVs.  

Message 6 of 22
ACE - Expert

They have enough issues with the devices that they say they do support. Don't expect a solution in the near future.

Message 7 of 22
Teacher

I have 2 Samsung smart TV's and have a Roku attached to both.  It is so much easier to use the Roku than it is to mess with the smart hub on the TV's that the next TV I buy will just be a non-smart one and I'll just continue to use my Roku's on them.

Message 8 of 22
ACE - Expert

Smart user in my opinion. All that extra money spent on a smart tv can now go towards a premium tv that will be here for years. Smart tv's are only computers that become obsolete in a few years. As apps get developed they become useless.

Message 9 of 22
Mentor

Message 10 of 22
ACE - Expert

Shocked - now another device that will have issues without any resolutions to the devices.

Message 11 of 22
Employee

So of course my Samsung TV is a 2016 which the new app only supports 2017/2018 models (just my luck). Not sure why this is, because I can’t see how my “premium” 2016 curved, smart tv is unsupported while some of the cheapest, oldest Roku devices are. My TV is only 2 years old. This is really frustrating because I was holding out on buying a streaming device and now it looks like I’ll have to.  

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 12 of 22
ACE - Expert

This is why smart tv's are not the way to go in my opinion. They are just like computers and become obsolete quickly when a cheap external streaming device serves the same purpose. I had rather put the money in an exceptional tv that will last for years and just replace the external device when needed.

Message 13 of 22
Contributor

I probably would have passed on the Direct TV Now offer if I had known my Samsung TV wasn’t compatible. I’m in the trial stage now but will cancel.  I should not have to buy a Roku player to play a TV service on my $1500 two year old “smart” TV.  If an app comes out before my trial, I’ll probab rethink my decision. Right now, Direct TV Now is more of a hassle than its worth. 

Message 14 of 22
Teacher

I was able to load the app on my one year old Samsung and it is working great. Only problem, I already bought a ROKU. Using Samsung remote is not as easy as the ROKU. But, love my DTRV.
Message 15 of 22
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support