Explore & discover

Helpful Links

ATT WatchTV and Roku

Teacher

ATT WatchTV and Roku

I signed yesterday for the  AT&T Unlimited &More Premium wireless plan and was told i could use the WatchTv app on my roku but don'r see a WatchTV app. Am I missing it?

Thanks

Brad

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 41
ACE - Expert

Re: ATT WatchTV and Roku

@Bhughes wrote:

If you look at Plan details on the ATT.com site under Unlimited &More(SM) Premium plan this is the text that appears.

30+ channels, live & on demand with WatchTV
Get 30+ channels of live TV and on-demand entertainment.

Stream the latest movies, shows, sports, breaking news & more. Watch on your big screen with Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV & Roku, or on your mobile device.

I think you've already determined that's not true.

So, wait or switch back to your old plan.  That's really the only two choices if the app isn't out yet.

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 16 of 41
Teacher

Based on the pre-release info, I thought it was going to support Roku, too… But the official sign-up info didn’t say anything about Roku so I just broke down and bought a Chromecast.  To me it’s worth the $35 one-time charge.  It works fine.  

I’ve heard that developing for Roku is difficult, so maybe they’re still working on it.  

Message 17 of 41
Contributor

I was told the same thing when I signed up for service on June 26. I was also told that since I had DirecTV that I could have HBO on it, yet according to a rep I spoke with two weeks later when HBO was taken off of my DirecTV, ATT cancelled the promotion on June 27 for DirecTV, the day after I signed up for service. He told me that anyone who signed up for service within 90 days from June 27 lost this perk as well for watching any of the "Free" channels on DirecTV.

Message 18 of 41
Contributor

ACTUALLY, it IS on their website where they provide the information for their plans that include the watch tv service. Roku IS on there towards the bottom of the list of supported devices.

AT&T should remove the Roku from that list, which is obviously 🙄 not the page you saw. Just because YOU didn’t see it, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. 

Message 19 of 41
Tutor

Yes Roku is on the list; as it Chrome, and Chromecast and Chromecast built-in TV but none of the noted devices actually work.  I have all of the noted devices and all are nonfunctional  I would like to know how to use WatchTV via Chrome or Chromecast or Chromecast built-in TV.  Google Play indicates the TV is not an option.  The TV is an Android TV w/ Chromecast built-in.  I would love to know how to use WatchTV via Chrome.  Sad state of affairs with AT&T.  Zero support options also.  The AT&T corporate store could not be bothered with help prior to the change of plans.  The AT&T corporate store staff could not be bothered with helping the customers.  The AT&T corporate store could not be bothered.  AT&T could not be bothered. 

Message 20 of 41

Is it a rumor when this page on att.com still lists Roku as a supported device for this service?  If AT&T employees are going to post content on its own site which is intended to promote AT&T services, then the company has an obligation to ensure its accuracy.

https://www.att.com/techbuzz/trending-now/watchtv-a-new-way-to-stream-entertainment-from-att/

You can stream WatchTV on your:

• iPhone or iPad (requires iOS® 10 or higher)
  • Android smartphone or tablet (requires Android® 4.4 or higher)
  • Amazon Fire TV
  • Apple TV
  • Desktop or laptop with Chrome web browser (requires version 50 and above)
  • Roku
Message 21 of 41
Tutor

I did double check and originally it had Roku

Message 22 of 41
Contributor

Are there any updates to this since July?  I am disappointed that I now have WatchTV and Showtime through my phone plan but, cannot use the app on my RokuTV!

Message 23 of 41
Contributor

Any update on when Roku will be supported?

Message 24 of 41

Have you tried using the Showtime app on the Roku?

Message 25 of 41
Contributor

I'm not familiar with the specifics of the Showtime app on the Roku, but I imagine it is very similar to Starz which requires an associated subscription.  The options of AT&T are DirecTV or Uverse.  it is not currently possible to use an ATT WatchTV account to enable Starz on Roku. (I assume the same is true for Showtime.)

Message 26 of 41
Teacher

It would be great if U-Verse accounts had a Roku app and even just browser access to live TV.  If the cable companies have been doing it for years, certainly ATT can too.

Message 27 of 41
Contributor

While it isn't the most preferred solution, I was able to Screen Mirror my Galaxy S8 to my Roku and then launch the Watch TV app from my S8. Worked flawlessly.

Message 28 of 41

Why is this marked as solved? Not solved. Att needs to honor what the promotion says.

Message 29 of 41
Contributor

Will the it support casting yo roku like a chromecast? And is there any plans to get this to roku?

Message 30 of 41
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support