Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Here's what to know about AT&T WatchTV and our two new unlimited plans

Community Support

Here's what to know about AT&T WatchTV and our two new unlimited plans

AT&T Debuts “WatchTV” With 2 New Unlimited Wireless Plans – and here’s what you need to know:

WatchTV Logo.jpg

What’s WatchTV?

WatchTV is our new streaming app that gives you 30+ live TV channels (channel list in the solution below), including 15,000+ on-demand titles. WatchTV can be purchased by itself for $15 a month. Simply download the app from your respective app stores, and dive into your entertainment.

1. Go to www.attwatchtv.com
  2. Click the “Start your free trial” button
  3. Create an account by entering a valid email address and password and setting up your User ID
  4. Follow the instructions and enter your payment information. After the 7-day free trial, you’ll automatically be charged $15 a month until you cancel.

Note: At the moment, you may only stream on one device at a time.

Endless_Entertainment.jpg

How do the AT&T Wireless accounts play into this?

One WatchTV account can be added to an AT&T Unlimited &MoreSM or AT&T Unlimited &MoreSM Premium wireless plan for no extra charge. If you have one of these eligible wireless plans, start using WatchTV by verifying your AT&T phone number and creating an account. Then, download the WatchTV app and dive into your entertainment. Each WatchTV account can stream on one device at a time.

• Note, with AT&T Unlimited &MoreSM Premium you have the option to get one of the following Premiums added to your account as well: HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Starz, Pandora, Amazon Music, or VRV.
  • To learn how to add these, go to the WatchTV FAQs and check out the “How do I sign up for premium platforms included with the AT&T &MoreSM Premium plan?”

Note: At the moment, one WatchTV account can only be tied to one Wireless account. So, you may only stream on one device at a time – regardless of how many lines are on the unlimited account.

Want to upgrade your Wireless account? Select Manage my plan under the ‘My wireless’ section.

Supported Devices for WatchTV

• CHROME: Chrome 58+
  • SAFARI: Safari 10+
  • APPLE: iPhone (iOS 10+), iPad (iOS 10+), iPod Touch (iOS 10+)
  • ANDROID: Android phones (5.0 and higher), Android tablets (5.0 and higher)
  • APPLE TV: Apple TV (4th Generation), Apple TV 4K (5th Generation)
  • GOOGLE CHROMECAST: Chromecast Built-in TV, Chromecast (2nd Generation and higher)
  • AMAZON FIRE TV: Amazon Fire TV (2nd Generation or higher), Amazon Fire TV Stick (2nd Generation or higher), Amazon Fire TV Edition Smart TV (2nd Generation or higher)

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCares and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 1 of 68
ACE - Expert

Re: Here's what to know about AT&T WatchTV and our two new unlimited plans

@vanessaeaton95 wrote:

So when will it be on Roku? I don't want a 'sometime in the future' answer, I want to know that I will be able to use this service. Otherwise it's just a useless 'bonus' to the plan. If I can't use it on any device, than what is the point of it?

You never know(I dont think ATT has a clue)..  Its easier to code apps for apple tv and android tv and chromecast....  To each his own but the roku we had went to the garbage long ago....

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 16 of 68
Teacher

Why is the list of devices different here  from the list of devices on the   MyATT data plan  screen?  Here's the text from that screen. This is what you see prepurchase of course. 

30+ channels, live & on demand with WatchTV

Get 30+ channels of live TV and on-demand entertainment.

Stream the latest movies, shows, sports, breaking news & more. Watch on your big screen with Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV & Roku, or on your mobile device.

See channel lineup

Video is limited to SD. (With AT&T Unlimited &More℠ Premium, watch in HD when available with Stream Saver® turned off.) Must add TV benefits at attwatchtv.com/verify. Content, programming, and channels subj. to change. Add’l usage, speed & other restr's apply.

Message 17 of 68
Community Support

@gpink72 wrote:

I currently have an unlimited premium plan with HBO GO. Would I lose the HBO GO if I switch?

@gpink72 with the new Unlimited &More plan, instead of having HBO you would have access to WatchTV. If you choose to get the Unlimited &More Premium on the other hand, then you can choose HBO as your "premium".

Need more help? Search through the DIRECTV NOW Community for great answers. Get diy help with your account, device setup, and streaming with DIRECTV NOW eSupport or contact us 24/7 on chat. Don't forget to follow us on Twitter @directvnowhelp!

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 18 of 68
Contributor

Can I please suggest adding the travel channel to the watch TV lineup? Most of these channels I already get through my DirecTV account

Message 19 of 68
Contributor

Funny thing was, I signed up for a trial the day it popped up, and at that point it said it would work with Roku TV - so I was rather disappointed to find no app.  Chatted with someone on site who recommended I ensure my TV was updated, and of course no dice.  By that point, the Roku compatibility had been removed from the screen.  Also, initially fine print said it would allow for two streams.  Not sure I'll be keeping this.

Message 20 of 68
Contributor

yet ironically, Philo (which is the main competition to this lightweight service) is ONLY supported on Roku or mobile apps.  If at&t wants people to switch from Philo (or choose them instead), then device type will matter.

Also for those interested and discussing single stream only, Philo supports 3 streams.

Full disclosure, I neither represent nor have even trialed Philo's service, just comparing/contrasting similar lightweight/cheap plans.

Message 21 of 68
Contributor

I made the mistake of not digging deep enough into WatchTV and upgraded my previous unlimited plan to the premium. Then I found out the following:

1) NO DVR - which Philo has

2) NO ROKU - while Philo does

3) 1 STREAM - while Philo has

4) Can't login to stand alone network Roku Channel Apps with credentials - while Philo lets you log into all the individual network Roku Channel apps with their credentials.

So I'm scratching my head as to how they think they can compete with Philo in any reasonable way with this absolutely worthless offering.

I think WatchTV is a gateway drug to push users to DirecTV Now. No DVR? Well DirecTV Now has it. No Roku? DirecTV Now has it. Only 1 stream? DirecTV Now has 2 streams, with $5 more to get 3 streams.

At this point, with all the competing streaming services, WatchTV is all hype and no substance. In fact, there is not a single competitor that they can compete with as they all offer more than WatchTV!

Message 22 of 68
ACE - Expert

@jbardi wrote:

I made the mistake of not digging deep enough into WatchTV and upgraded my previous unlimited plan to the premium. Then I found out the following:

4) Can't login to stand alone network Roku Channel Apps with credentials - while Philo lets you log into all the individual network Roku Channel apps with their credentials.

So I'm scratching my head as to how they think they can compete with Philo in any reasonable way with this absolutely worthless offering.

I think WatchTV is a gateway drug to push users to DirecTV Now. No DVR? Well DirecTV Now has it. No Roku? DirecTV Now has it. Only 1 stream? DirecTV Now has 2 streams, with $5 more to get 3 streams.

At this point, with all the competing streaming services, WatchTV is all hype and no substance. In fact, there is not a single competitor that they can compete with as they all offer more than WatchTV!

watch tv was nothing more than a ruse to get the TW merger thru...  Its free for the new unlimited plans PLUS you can get 15 bucks off DTVNOW....

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 23 of 68
Tutor

The old unlimited plans came with $15 off DTVN. Nothing new/special for these plans. Also, despite being advertised as free, WatchTV is far from it. Plan pricing has increased, administrative fees on your bill have increased, and you even lose a previously included benefit.

Message 24 of 68
Contributor

i switched my plan to the unlimited and more premium, when i try to verify my account with the watch TV its asking me for a payment type and says its $15 per month, i contacted customer support and was told that i have to pay for the watch tv even though i have the unlimited and more plan. they are telling me that it is not included even though is says it is on the website, ive been going back and forth since friday, at first they were trying to figure out why it was asking me for payment and now after the 6th time contacting them they tell me i need to pay for it

Message 25 of 68
ACE - Expert

@jbardi wrote:

It sounds like you did ZERO digging. Can you name one feature that convinced you to switch?

The key thing is that it got you to switch...

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Message 26 of 68

Wow! I'm so underwhelmed. Not many channels. Pay a buck more and get Philo. It has much more selection with 5 viewers at once. You can pull it through chromecast too.

Message 27 of 68
ACE - Expert

@secondthought2 wrote:

Wow! I'm so underwhelmed. Not many channels. Pay a buck more and get Philo. It has much more selection with 5 viewers at once. You can pull it through chromecast too.

I'm thinking it's more of a promo for AT&T customers.

They definitely need to offer more to get people to buy it for $15 a month.

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Message 28 of 68
Contributor

Very disappointed.  The reason I switched was because I was unable to activate HBO on a second line with my existing unlimited plan and the pop up box said "Uh Oh, its too late" and insinuated that I would be able to activate it on the second line if I switched to one of the new unlimited plans.  We were very unhappy to find out that everyone would have to share a single HBO profile via WatchTV due to the lack of sub-account support or multiple profiles on HBO GO.  Thats not even mentioning that only one stream is allowed at once for WatchTV, which makes no sense since it seems to be focused on mobile due to the limited device support and feature set compared to DirecTV Now which it seems to borrow most of the app from.  It feels like AT&T is intentionally misleading customers to switch to one of their new plans, and its very concerning as a business practice.

Message 29 of 68
Scholar

Hi AT&T - you seem to be ignoring my question/problem with accessing my account. I have Unlimited & More Premium, and for some reason, the WatchTV service doesn't seem to recognize that when I try and verify my number. As a result, its been 9 days and I still don't have access to the service that I've been paying for.

Any update?

Here are a few Chat IDs, escalation numbers and employee numbers of people who've interacted with me but haven't been helpful.

Chat ID: 723491003957371380
Ticket # for escalation: 31419137
Employee name/# for AT&T Wireless: Michael, VRB7RN2
Reference # for 7/7 chat: 745727548001505834

Message 30 of 68
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support