recording show

How many shows can I record at once?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

7.7K Messages

9 years ago

You can have up to four shows (streams) at a time. If you're watching the same channel on two different TVs, that counts as one stream.

Press menu on your remote, then go to options. Select "system options" then system information. Scroll to "System resources" and look for the following. I'll use mine as an example, but yours may be different.

0 SD/4 HD (WAN); 0 SD/4 HD (Ingress)

Egress Profile: 0 SD/3 HD

This means that I can have four different streams coming into my house. All of them can be HD or SD. Into my DVR I can have 4 different streams. All can be HD or SD.

Egress means that I can watch that combination of recorded shows on other TVs in my house.

If you're watching something previously recorded (channel 9999 or "recorded TV" button) on the TV connected to the DVR, that does not count as a stream.

In some cases, the WAN/Ingress may look like this:

WAN - 4 HD/0 SD

Ingress 3 HD/1 SD

I had that for a while.  What I did was put my DVR on a "backup" TV and put the extra set-top box on the primary TV. This way, my whole house had four HD streams and I could actually use that 4th stream.

If you keep getting messages about "too many streams in use," then I would suggest looking at your recordings. If you're recording a lot of stuff off cable channels or channels like HBO or Cinemax, consider recording stuff during overnight hours when the TVs aren't being used. Recording stuff at "off-hours" will free up streams.

I believe they're working on getting more streams, but I don't know anything beyond that.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.