Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 27, 2013
2:37:57 PM
how many televisions can be connected to uverse tv in the same residence?

how many televisions can be connected to uverse tv in the same home?

how many televisions can be connected to uverse tv in the same home?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jul 29, 2013 9:51:36 AM
(0)
Employee

Hello tree3man, the support article provided above is referring to the number of streams that can be watched simultaneously and due to the possibility of anyone being confused by its content it has been submitted for review. You can have up to 8 receivers per household using a combination of DVR, wired receivers, and wireless receivers. Each TV location will need a receiver. While you may only get up to 4 streams if available (due to network limitations), you can play recordings on each of the TVs that are not using up a live stream or watch the same program as one of your live streams.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

how many televisions can be connected to uverse tv in the same residence?

15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jul 27, 2013 3:10:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Check this support article: Maximum number of televisions that can display AT&T U-verse TV simultaneously in your home - AT&T U-....  You can have up to 8 boxes.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: how many televisions can be connected to uverse tv in the same residence?

2 of 16 (20,354 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2013 7:16:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Actually that ATT support article is a bit misleading, more than 1 TV can watch the same program, so all 8 could be watching the same program and only using 1 stream.   There are 4 streams incoming that can be used between the TVs and DVR. Smiley Wink

Chris

Actually that ATT support article is a bit misleading, more than 1 TV can watch the same program, so all 8 could be watching the same program and only using 1 stream.   There are 4 streams incoming that can be used between the TVs and DVR. Smiley Wink

Chris

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 16 (20,354 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jul 29, 2013 9:51:36 AM
(0)
Employee

Hello tree3man, the support article provided above is referring to the number of streams that can be watched simultaneously and due to the possibility of anyone being confused by its content it has been submitted for review. You can have up to 8 receivers per household using a combination of DVR, wired receivers, and wireless receivers. Each TV location will need a receiver. While you may only get up to 4 streams if available (due to network limitations), you can play recordings on each of the TVs that are not using up a live stream or watch the same program as one of your live streams.

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 16 (20,354 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2013 12:12:03 PM
(0)
Tutor

So what do you do if you have 9 tv's!

Rick (Removed for security reasons)

So what do you do if you have 9 tv's!

Rick (Removed for security reasons)

5 of 16 (20,352 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2013 12:26:09 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

If you want the honest answer......Don't get U-verse.  It would not be a good fit for you with that many TV's.

If you want the honest answer......Don't get U-verse.  It would not be a good fit for you with that many TV's.

6 of 16 (20,352 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2013 7:42:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

It depends on why you have 9 TVs:

• Some people have multiple screens in one area that they want to show the same program; you could share the output from a single STB to them.
  • Some people have TV's whose only function is to play video games; they wouldn't be an issue either.

But, if you have 9 TV's on which you wish to watch different content provided by your video provider, then as beebeesa just said, U-verse is probably not the best service for you at this time.

It depends on why you have 9 TVs:

• Some people have multiple screens in one area that they want to show the same program; you could share the output from a single STB to them.
  • Some people have TV's whose only function is to play video games; they wouldn't be an issue either.

But, if you have 9 TV's on which you wish to watch different content provided by your video provider, then as beebeesa just said, U-verse is probably not the best service for you at this time.

7 of 16 (20,352 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2013 8:40:52 PM
(0)
Tutor

Nine tv's would never be on at the same time. So can 9 be connected into uverse with the understanding that no more than 8 could be in use and they would have to watch a maximum of 4 different content?  That's what I am interpreting from both of your responses.  Thanks.

Rick [removed for security reasons]

Nine tv's would never be on at the same time. So can 9 be connected into uverse with the understanding that no more than 8 could be in use and they would have to watch a maximum of 4 different content?  That's what I am interpreting from both of your responses.  Thanks.

8 of 16 (20,352 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2013 3:59:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yes, correct.  Keep in mind if you record a show that would use one stream so you would be down to 3 TV's that could watch live content and so on.  If you get a wireless or up to two wireless receivers you could move it around to whichever TV you wanted to watch at the time thus cutting down on the monthly box rental fee.  I believe it's still $7 per box per month so that could get up there pretty fast.

Yes, correct.  Keep in mind if you record a show that would use one stream so you would be down to 3 TV's that could watch live content and so on.  If you get a wireless or up to two wireless receivers you could move it around to whichever TV you wanted to watch at the time thus cutting down on the monthly box rental fee.  I believe it's still $7 per box per month so that could get up there pretty fast.

9 of 16 (20,352 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2013 5:06:51 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thx

Thx

10 of 16 (20,352 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2013 5:46:07 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

4 live content, others could be watching content stored in the DVR.

4 live content, others could be watching content stored in the DVR.

11 of 16 (20,352 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2013 6:27:53 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thx

Thx

12 of 16 (20,352 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2013 11:32:42 AM
(0)
Tutor

thanks.

>

thanks.

>

13 of 16 (20,352 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2013 12:03:49 PM
(0)
Employee

You're welcome tree3man

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

You're welcome tree3man

14 of 16 (20,352 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 12, 2014 10:55:21 AM
(0)
Contributor

this is very misleading because no one tells you that you may have up to 8 dvrs, but can only watch three differnent programs at a time if you record something because it will prompt you to turn off one of the TVs or cancel the recording.  In our house we have 5 bedrooms and everyone watches their own programs.  my husband works nights and records his sports show.  When I am watching something on my tv, my son on his, and my parents on theirs,  I have to turn off a tv so that his show can record.  I was never told of this problem when I signed on.  They just said we could record up to four programs.   Now this is causing problems at home.  I am very disatisfied with ATT and the fact that they don't try to resolve this.    I regrett switching from my other provider.  When I called customer service, they did absolutley nothing.  I even offered to pay more for more bandwith.  I feel this is false marketing.

this is very misleading because no one tells you that you may have up to 8 dvrs, but can only watch three differnent programs at a time if you record something because it will prompt you to turn off one of the TVs or cancel the recording.  In our house we have 5 bedrooms and everyone watches their own programs.  my husband works nights and records his sports show.  When I am watching something on my tv, my son on his, and my parents on theirs,  I have to turn off a tv so that his show can record.  I was never told of this problem when I signed on.  They just said we could record up to four programs.   Now this is causing problems at home.  I am very disatisfied with ATT and the fact that they don't try to resolve this.    I regrett switching from my other provider.  When I called customer service, they did absolutley nothing.  I even offered to pay more for more bandwith.  I feel this is false marketing.

15 of 16 (16,751 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 12, 2014 11:36:42 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

batistarsoe wrote:

Uverse is not the perfect fit for every family and/or household.

Yes, it's true that you can only watch 4 different live streams but for many households, that's plenty 99% of the time. 

You were never told that you could have 8 DVRs because it's always been ONE Whole House DVR and additional STBs (set top boxes).  What you were told is that you could have up to 8 TVs using Uverse:  4 live/4 recorded.

As far as paying more for more bandwidth...yeah, that's not an option.

batistarsoe wrote:

Uverse is not the perfect fit for every family and/or household.

Yes, it's true that you can only watch 4 different live streams but for many households, that's plenty 99% of the time. 

You were never told that you could have 8 DVRs because it's always been ONE Whole House DVR and additional STBs (set top boxes).  What you were told is that you could have up to 8 TVs using Uverse:  4 live/4 recorded.

As far as paying more for more bandwidth...yeah, that's not an option.

16 of 16 (16,746 Views)