ticea's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, April 1st, 2013 9:39 AM

how do i access my dvr from my computer

I'm new to the u-verse and since, i've had it for about a month and a half i have chatted online and everyone has been helpful but i'm once again in a stump... I first had problems with the Internet connection now i would like to access my dvr from my computer which i was told was one of the futures that are included with my package but all I get is a error message maybe i'm doing something wrong if so can someone help i have almost had it with typing back and forth with customer service over and over...

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

8 years ago

@paulgarcia wrote:

Hello there.

Unfortunately, there is no way for us to access the recordings on the DVR (or copy it) through a computer. This is due to copyright restrictions.

If you're looking at the available USB ports on your DVR, these are not for computer connections. These are for USB wireless sticks that come paired with Point Anywhere Remote Controls.

I don't think anyone is talking about literally copying video files to their computer. They simply want to access their programs via a web or app service and watch them on their computers or devices. Kind of like HBO Now. 

For example, I want to be able to watch Walking Dead from my DVR on my laptop or devices when I travel with the ability to starte it a little on the later side, pause, rewind, etc. streaming through the cloud. Not downloading actual video files to my device. Like you do with Hulu or HBO Now. This should not be a licensing issue.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@nieten7642  So, go to Uverse online, there you'll see many of the same programs recorded on the DVR, and be able to stream them anywhere.

http://uverse.com/networks

Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@nieten7642 wrote:

I don't think anyone is talking about literally copying video files to their computer. They simply want to access their programs via a web or app service and watch them on their computers or devices. Kind of like HBO Now. 

For example, I want to be able to watch Walking Dead from my DVR on my laptop or devices when I travel with the ability to starte it a little on the later side, pause, rewind, etc. streaming through the cloud. Not downloading actual video files to my device. Like you do with Hulu or HBO Now. This should not be a licensing issue.

Something like that might be coming in the very near future:

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/att-stop-investing-u-verse-cpe-will-move-new-home-architecture-using-direct/2015-08-12

Reports have been coming in this week that this will begin Monday, 2/15. Smiley Surprised

Chris

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

8 years ago

@aviewer wrote:

@Diceypony - If you are serious about watching your recorded shows - you are allowed to do it when you purchase a slingbox & connect it to the internet & the output of your STB & set up an IR blaster you can watch that STB (including recordings) as if you were in the same room with your remote in hand from anywhere you have internet access.

That is helpful, but this functionality should be offered by UVERSE without having to purchase another device like a Slingbox.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

8 years ago

@skeeterintexas wrote:

@MustangGrl wrote:

So you expect us to pay outragous amounts for this TV service, when we were promised that we would be able to watch all of the content on our DVRs remotelly (the person at ATT when I signed up told me this as well as my installer) and then that ends up being a flat out lie and now we're recomended to spend $150-$300 on a Slingbox because of it?

Are you kidding me? How does ATT expect to keep customers like that?

We've had Uverse for almost 8 years but different things are important to different people.  I have no need to watch my DVR content remotely.

Well that's great for you, but many of us do. So... your comment really isn't helpful.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

8 years ago

@texasguy37 wrote:

@bobothep wrote:

Just because you may have not left you home in 8 years does not mean that other people might want to watch their dvr shows while traveling.  And it's simply B S that AT&T does not provide this service.  The records are accessible only via your password.  I have paid for the programming and should be able to access it where I choose, since the technology to accomplish this is already in place.  Just goes to show that AT&T is right there in the A*hole bin along with Verizon and other companies that don't give a crap about their customers.

Is there someone forcing your to be a U-verse customer?  If you feel that another TV provider will give you what you are looking for, you should change your service.  Life is too short to be as unhappy as you are.

Is there a reason that you have such a strong objection to UVERSE customers leaving UVERSE feedback regarding frustrations over functionality (or the lack thereof) that frustrates us, their customers?? Because... I'm not really sure why you are on this thread if you aren't even interested in doing this.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@nieten7642 wrote:

That is helpful, but this functionality should be offered by UVERSE without having to purchase another device like a Slingbox.

You don't understand, this will eliminate DVR/STBs and RGs, you'll only have the Home Media Gateway.  Program material will be coming from the cloud.

This from 1st paragraph from my link above:

The company also said users would be able to access the same content while outside the home.

Nuf said about that. 😉

Chris

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

8 years ago

@skeeterintexas wrote:

@Heel49er wrote:

Why is there a "watch" button for the dvr viewings if you can not watch?

Where exactly are you seeing a 'watch' button? 

If you click on the program recorded on your DVR from your phone, you can press "WATCH". All it does is make it play locally on your TV from your DVR like a second remote control. Pretty useless.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

8 years ago

@ATTU-verseCare wrote:

Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

Slide3.JPG

Slide4.JPG

Slide5.JPG

Slide6.JPG

Slide7.JPG

Slide8.JPG

Slide9.JPG

Slide10.JPG

Slide11.JPG

For more information on troubleshooting your DVR check this article

Videos recorded on your DVR cannot be viewed on other devices, however for videos that are also available on uverse On Demand, there is a "watch option" on the u-verse app. 

by ATTU-verseCare

We undestand all of this, UVERSE. We are asking for the ability to stream the programming recorded on our DVRs to our devices. This should not be a licensing issue. MANY other services are doing this. It's called streaming. It's 2016, guys. Come on.

11 Attachments

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

8 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

@UpAllNight wrote:

I'm in the computer room cleaning my desk. Realize I can watch the football game on the computer. They have the channel blocked - Can record the game from the web page...

NO watch option. 

So I started looking at what I can watch like the news, blocked too. Haven't paid much attention to what you can watch on computer or tablet since the tablet app locks up all the time. 

Thinking back to whan I had time warner, the tuner in my computer let me watch any basic cable channel. If I wanted to record a show I wouldn't get a DRM lock out mesage when I put a DVD in the reorder. And when I was out of town I could VPN in and watch what ever I wanted. 

My Uverse new cutomer discounts expire soon and it my be time to re-evaluate. 

Also from the phone side, have a 'free upgrade' on phone but if I want a Iphone have to pay $650 or change plans and pay $26 for 30 months. 

You should be able to record the program on your DVR while using your Computer, as long as you have U-verse High Speed Internet.  If you want to watch it live, not all local stations allow video streaming, and only some networks stream sports events... I think CBS does, not sure about the others.  You cannot watch a recording from the U-verse DVR trhough anything but a U-verse TV Receiver.

Yeah, we know this already. That is our complaint. 🙂

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.