Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Apr 1, 2013
2:39:24 AM
View profile
how do i access my dvr from my computer

I'm new to the u-verse and since, i've had it for about a month and a half i have chatted online and everyone has been helpful but i'm once again in a stump... I first had problems with the Internet connection now i would like to access my dvr from my computer which i was told was one of the futures that are included with my package but all I get is a error message maybe i'm doing something wrong if so can someone help i have almost had it with typing back and forth with customer service over and over...

I'm new to the u-verse and since, i've had it for about a month and a half i have chatted online and everyone has been helpful but i'm once again in a stump... I first had problems with the Internet connection now i would like to access my dvr from my computer which i was told was one of the futures that are included with my package but all I get is a error message maybe i'm doing something wrong if so can someone help i have almost had it with typing back and forth with customer service over and over...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Apr 1, 2013 5:31:58 AM
(0)
Mentor

Please visit http://uverseonline.att.net/ where you are able to stream U-Verse content directly from our servers. We also offer up to 8 hours of downloaded content to your mobile device through the apps available on our site.Due to licensing restrictions, we do not provide the ability to remotley view the content recorded on your DVR.

Thank you for choosing AT&T and being the best part of it!

Accepted Solution

how do i access my dvr from my computer

43 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(43)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2013 3:50:15 AM
(0)
Scholar

Not sure what you want to access on your DVR or the method on your computer that you are using, perhaps you could elaborate. For me, I used to be able to view what was recorded (not the content itself) but for the past several weeks that has been disabled on the ATT/Yahoo web site. I had been told that they were working on enhancing the capability.

Perhaps a Community Manager would be kind enough to provide an official answer.

Not sure what you want to access on your DVR or the method on your computer that you are using, perhaps you could elaborate. For me, I used to be able to view what was recorded (not the content itself) but for the past several weeks that has been disabled on the ATT/Yahoo web site. I had been told that they were working on enhancing the capability.

Perhaps a Community Manager would be kind enough to provide an official answer.

Re: how do i access my dvr from my computer

2 of 44 (67,627 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Apr 1, 2013 5:31:58 AM
(0)
Mentor

Please visit http://uverseonline.att.net/ where you are able to stream U-Verse content directly from our servers. We also offer up to 8 hours of downloaded content to your mobile device through the apps available on our site.Due to licensing restrictions, we do not provide the ability to remotley view the content recorded on your DVR.

3 of 44 (67,627 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2013 6:32:49 AM
(0)
Former Employee

Hello there.

Unfortunately, there is no way for us to access the recordings on the DVR (or copy it) through a computer. This is due to copyright restrictions.

If you're looking at the available USB ports on your DVR, these are not for computer connections. These are for USB wireless sticks that come paired with Point Anywhere Remote Controls.

Hello there.

Unfortunately, there is no way for us to access the recordings on the DVR (or copy it) through a computer. This is due to copyright restrictions.

If you're looking at the available USB ports on your DVR, these are not for computer connections. These are for USB wireless sticks that come paired with Point Anywhere Remote Controls.

4 of 44 (67,629 Views)
(2)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2014 6:22:06 PM
(2)
Contributor
I am curious why it is ok to watch a program live on your TV or remotely, record it on the dvr and watch it later on the TV, but not watch the program on the dvr later remotely? What does watching a dvr recorded program remotely have to do with licensing that does not apply when you watch it off the dvr on your TV?
I am curious why it is ok to watch a program live on your TV or remotely, record it on the dvr and watch it later on the TV, but not watch the program on the dvr later remotely? What does watching a dvr recorded program remotely have to do with licensing that does not apply when you watch it off the dvr on your TV?

5 of 44 (65,012 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2014 6:54:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Caliguy809 - The content owners take every opportunity to extract every penny. There are other such apparently arbitrary barriers -
Notice that you can watch live remote for some. For others, you must be at home.

You can watch on an IOS device, but you cannot connect to a TV. To watch on a TV you need an STB or a computer with a browser.

On an iphone, you can download content, but not an ipad. Same if you load the iphone app on an ipad. Actually you cannot even watch in that case.

If you want to watch your recordings remotely you need a slingbox or one of the many similar devices.
Caliguy809 - The content owners take every opportunity to extract every penny. There are other such apparently arbitrary barriers -
Notice that you can watch live remote for some. For others, you must be at home.

You can watch on an IOS device, but you cannot connect to a TV. To watch on a TV you need an STB or a computer with a browser.

On an iphone, you can download content, but not an ipad. Same if you load the iphone app on an ipad. Actually you cannot even watch in that case.

If you want to watch your recordings remotely you need a slingbox or one of the many similar devices.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 44 (65,007 Views)
Highlighted
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2014 1:49:02 PM
(1)
Contributor

Due to licensing restrictions, we do not provide the ability to remotley view the content recorded on your DVR.

This is pathetic, Directv offers this service for free to their customers.

Due to licensing restrictions, we do not provide the ability to remotley view the content recorded on your DVR.

This is pathetic, Directv offers this service for free to their customers.

7 of 44 (64,269 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 6:31:49 AM
(0)
Tutor

If I am travelling out of the country can I access these these?

If I am travelling out of the country can I access these these?

8 of 44 (63,173 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 6:49:15 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by aviewer on Apr 24, 2014 at 6:53:18 AM

jayip54 - What specifically do you want to access? What do you mean by these? Please be as specific as possible.

In country or out of country is not different. In home & out of home is for some things.

jayip54 - What specifically do you want to access? What do you mean by these? Please be as specific as possible.

In country or out of country is not different. In home & out of home is for some things.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
9 of 44 (63,170 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2014 6:22:27 AM
(0)
Tutor

i will be on vacation in Cozumel and want to view some of my favorites from UVerse on-line while there on my laptop. I have been told that sometimes streaming is restricted by ip address.

i will be on vacation in Cozumel and want to view some of my favorites from UVerse on-line while there on my laptop. I have been told that sometimes streaming is restricted by ip address.

10 of 44 (63,111 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2014 6:33:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
jayip54 - Anything is possible. I have not seen any posts complaining about that. I suppose a hotel could block some activity in order to make you use something you need to pay for.

You cannot view recordings on the DVR. You can only manage DVR recording.

Live or on-demand streaming on a computer is uverse,com via a browser. Use an app for same on portable devices. These are based on what level you subscribe to & quite reduced outside the home.

Consider a one month free trial for Amazon Prime, Netflix or HULU plus or any other that you can find for content.

Let me know if you find a source for current Jeopardy episodes.
jayip54 - Anything is possible. I have not seen any posts complaining about that. I suppose a hotel could block some activity in order to make you use something you need to pay for.

You cannot view recordings on the DVR. You can only manage DVR recording.

Live or on-demand streaming on a computer is uverse,com via a browser. Use an app for same on portable devices. These are based on what level you subscribe to & quite reduced outside the home.

Consider a one month free trial for Amazon Prime, Netflix or HULU plus or any other that you can find for content.

Let me know if you find a source for current Jeopardy episodes.

11 of 44 (63,108 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2014 3:50:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Or get a Slingbox and you can watch your TV whereever you go.  

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

Or get a Slingbox and you can watch your TV whereever you go.  

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

12 of 44 (63,011 Views)
(2)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2015 6:01:35 AM
(2)
Contributor

So you expect us to pay outragous amounts for this TV service, when we were promised that we would be able to watch all of the content on our DVRs remotelly (the person at ATT when I signed up told me this as well as my installer) and then that ends up being a flat out lie and now we're recomended to spend $150-$300 on a Slingbox because of it?

Are you kidding me? How does ATT expect to keep customers like that?

So you expect us to pay outragous amounts for this TV service, when we were promised that we would be able to watch all of the content on our DVRs remotelly (the person at ATT when I signed up told me this as well as my installer) and then that ends up being a flat out lie and now we're recomended to spend $150-$300 on a Slingbox because of it?

13 of 44 (48,313 Views)
(2)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2015 6:33:01 AM
(2)
ACE - Master

MustangGrl wrote:

We've had Uverse for almost 8 years but different things are important to different people.  I have no need to watch my DVR content remotely.

MustangGrl wrote:

We've had Uverse for almost 8 years but different things are important to different people.  I have no need to watch my DVR content remotely.

14 of 44 (48,295 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2015 6:58:20 PM
(1)
Contributor
Edited by Phil-101 on Aug 21, 2015 at 8:50:48 PM

. . . other people might want to watch their dvr shows while traveling.  And it's simply ** that AT&T does not provide this service.  The records are accessible only via your password.  I have paid for the programming and should be able to access it where I choose, since the technology to accomplish this is already in place.  Just goes to show that AT&T is right there in the bin along with Verizon and other companies that don't give a crap about their customers.

[Please keep it courteous]

. . . other people might want to watch their dvr shows while traveling.  And it's simply ** that AT&T does not provide this service.  The records are accessible only via your password.  I have paid for the programming and should be able to access it where I choose, since the technology to accomplish this is already in place.  Just goes to show that AT&T is right there in the bin along with Verizon and other companies that don't give a crap about their customers.

[Please keep it courteous]

[ Edited ]
15 of 44 (35,604 Views)
(3)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2015 7:20:55 PM
(3)
ACE - Expert

bobothep wrote:

Just because you may have not left you home in 8 years does not mean that other people might want to watch their dvr shows while traveling.  And it's simply B S that AT&T does not provide this service.  The records are accessible only via your password.  I have paid for the programming and should be able to access it where I choose, since the technology to accomplish this is already in place.  Just goes to show that AT&T is right there in the A*hole bin along with Verizon and other companies that don't give a crap about their customers.

Is there someone forcing your to be a U-verse customer?  If you feel that another TV provider will give you what you are looking for, you should change your service.  Life is too short to be as unhappy as you are.

bobothep wrote:

Just because you may have not left you home in 8 years does not mean that other people might want to watch their dvr shows while traveling.  And it's simply B S that AT&T does not provide this service.  The records are accessible only via your password.  I have paid for the programming and should be able to access it where I choose, since the technology to accomplish this is already in place.  Just goes to show that AT&T is right there in the A*hole bin along with Verizon and other companies that don't give a crap about their customers.

Is there someone forcing your to be a U-verse customer?  If you feel that another TV provider will give you what you are looking for, you should change your service.  Life is too short to be as unhappy as you are.

16 of 44 (35,590 Views)
(2)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2015 8:21:00 PM
(2)
ACE - Master

bobothep wrote:

I AM HURT AND OFFENDED THAT YOU WOULD ASSUME SUCH A THING.

bobothep wrote:

I AM HURT AND OFFENDED THAT YOU WOULD ASSUME SUCH A THING.

17 of 44 (35,553 Views)
(2)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2015 9:55:59 PM
(2)
Explorer
Edited by alexandrepsf on Aug 21, 2015 at 9:56:59 PM

Not trying to ignite any controversy. But just curious, if the issue of access recorded contents from DVR is the copyright, how come one comptitor offers the same? Does that mean they do pay for the copyright and content lisencing to allow their customers to download recorded contents from DVR to their PC?

Thanks,

Alex

Not trying to ignite any controversy. But just curious, if the issue of access recorded contents from DVR is the copyright, how come one comptitor offers the same? Does that mean they do pay for the copyright and content lisencing to allow their customers to download recorded contents from DVR to their PC?

Thanks,

Alex

[ Edited ]
18 of 44 (35,502 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2015 7:38:16 AM
(1)
Contributor
I don't have uverse anymore so it doesn't matter to me anymore. But dish offers this service so idk why uverse can't

I don't have uverse anymore so it doesn't matter to me anymore. But dish offers this service so idk why uverse can't

19 of 44 (35,388 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2015 3:01:29 PM
(1)
Contributor

Why is there a "watch" button for the dvr viewings if you can not watch?

20 of 44 (35,324 Views)
(2)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2015 3:08:13 PM
(2)
ACE - Master

Heel49er wrote:

Where exactly are you seeing a 'watch' button? 

Heel49er wrote:

Where exactly are you seeing a 'watch' button? 

21 of 44 (35,319 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2015 2:21:12 PM
(0)
Community Support

For more information on troubleshooting your DVR check this article

Videos recorded on your DVR cannot be viewed on other devices, however for videos that are also available on uverse On Demand, there is a "watch option" on the u-verse app. 

by ATTU-verseCare

Need more help?

Download the myAT&T App and click Fix It Now! Support Tools to get U-verse help. For more assistance, send a quick message to ATTU-verseCare. Be sure to include your account number, name, and contact number.

For more information on troubleshooting your DVR check this article

Videos recorded on your DVR cannot be viewed on other devices, however for videos that are also available on uverse On Demand, there is a "watch option" on the u-verse app. 

by ATTU-verseCare

Need more help?

Download the myAT&T App and click Fix It Now! Support Tools to get U-verse help. For more assistance, send a quick message to ATTU-verseCare. Be sure to include your account number, name, and contact number.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

22 of 44 (26,879 Views)
(2)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2015 6:06:12 PM
(2)
Teacher
I'll try this again since my first reply disappeared. So what you are saying is - Drop your Uverse service and get Directv? "Take your DVR playlist to go. With a GenieGO connected to your HD DVR, you can watch your recorded shows on your computer or mobile device anywhere. You don’t even need an Internet connection when you want to watch." http://www.directv.com/technology/directv_everywhere Didn't ATT just purchase DirectV? Hmmmm.
I'll try this again since my first reply disappeared. So what you are saying is - Drop your Uverse service and get Directv? "Take your DVR playlist to go. With a GenieGO connected to your HD DVR, you can watch your recorded shows on your computer or mobile device anywhere. You don’t even need an Internet connection when you want to watch." http://www.directv.com/technology/directv_everywhere Didn't ATT just purchase DirectV? Hmmmm.

23 of 44 (26,098 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2015 6:26:47 PM
(1)
Contributor

Dish offers this functionality too -- you can watch anything on your DVR anywhere that has wifi [laptop or smartphone].  It doesn't make sense that AT&T does not offer this feature too.  Maybe they haven't figured out that people are mobile? 

Dish offers this functionality too -- you can watch anything on your DVR anywhere that has wifi [laptop or smartphone].  It doesn't make sense that AT&T does not offer this feature too.  Maybe they haven't figured out that people are mobile? 

24 of 44 (23,471 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2016 3:29:49 PM
(1)
Teacher

I'm in the computer room cleaning my desk. Realize I can watch the football game on the computer. They have the channel blocked - Can record the game from the web page...

NO watch option. 

So I started looking at what I can watch like the news, blocked too. Haven't paid much attention to what you can watch on computer or tablet since the tablet app locks up all the time. 

Thinking back to whan I had time warner, the tuner in my computer let me watch any basic cable channel. If I wanted to record a show I wouldn't get a DRM lock out mesage when I put a DVD in the reorder. And when I was out of town I could VPN in and watch what ever I wanted. 

My Uverse new cutomer discounts expire soon and it my be time to re-evaluate. 

Also from the phone side, have a 'free upgrade' on phone but if I want a Iphone have to pay $650 or change plans and pay $26 for 30 months. 

I'm in the computer room cleaning my desk. Realize I can watch the football game on the computer. They have the channel blocked - Can record the game from the web page...

NO watch option. 

So I started looking at what I can watch like the news, blocked too. Haven't paid much attention to what you can watch on computer or tablet since the tablet app locks up all the time. 

Thinking back to whan I had time warner, the tuner in my computer let me watch any basic cable channel. If I wanted to record a show I wouldn't get a DRM lock out mesage when I put a DVD in the reorder. And when I was out of town I could VPN in and watch what ever I wanted. 

Also from the phone side, have a 'free upgrade' on phone but if I want a Iphone have to pay $650 or change plans and pay $26 for 30 months. 

25 of 44 (19,847 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2016 6:31:09 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

UpAllNight wrote:

NO watch option. 

You should be able to record the program on your DVR while using your Computer, as long as you have U-verse High Speed Internet.  If you want to watch it live, not all local stations allow video streaming, and only some networks stream sports events... I think CBS does, not sure about the others.  You cannot watch a recording from the U-verse DVR trhough anything but a U-verse TV Receiver.

UpAllNight wrote:

NO watch option. 

You should be able to record the program on your DVR while using your Computer, as long as you have U-verse High Speed Internet.  If you want to watch it live, not all local stations allow video streaming, and only some networks stream sports events... I think CBS does, not sure about the others.  You cannot watch a recording from the U-verse DVR trhough anything but a U-verse TV Receiver.

26 of 44 (19,787 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2016 6:42:35 PM
(1)
Contributor

So what's the point?  So I can see all the shows I have recorded but I can't play them?  That's the most useless thing I've ever heard.  I am better off going to the station's website and just watching from there so what do I need AT&T for?

So what's the point?  So I can see all the shows I have recorded but I can't play them?  That's the most useless thing I've ever heard.  I am better off going to the station's website and just watching from there so what do I need AT&T for?

27 of 44 (19,547 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2016 7:01:18 PM
(1)
ACE - Expert

@Diceypony - If you are serious about watching your recorded shows - you are allowed to do it when you purchase a slingbox & connect it to the internet & the output of your STB & set up an IR blaster you can watch that STB (including recordings) as if you were in the same room with your remote in hand from anywhere you have internet access.

@Diceypony - If you are serious about watching your recorded shows - you are allowed to do it when you purchase a slingbox & connect it to the internet & the output of your STB & set up an IR blaster you can watch that STB (including recordings) as if you were in the same room with your remote in hand from anywhere you have internet access.

28 of 44 (19,537 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2016 8:29:51 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by nieten7642 on Feb 13, 2016 at 9:27:27 AM

Caliguy809 wrote:

AWESOME point. I 100% agree. The television and movie industries are SO behind in terms of keeping up with technology. The music industry is so far ahead of the TV and movie industries in terms of licensing and finding ways to deliver content that we are paying for in convenient ways. If I pay for programming, I shoud be able to access it and watch it when and where I want. If I have to travel for business, I should not be punished and forced to wait until I get back home to watch my favorite shows. I don't have to do this with HBO Now. Get with the program, UVERSE!!! Learn from HBO!!!

Caliguy809 wrote:

AWESOME point. I 100% agree. The television and movie industries are SO behind in terms of keeping up with technology. The music industry is so far ahead of the TV and movie industries in terms of licensing and finding ways to deliver content that we are paying for in convenient ways. If I pay for programming, I shoud be able to access it and watch it when and where I want. If I have to travel for business, I should not be punished and forced to wait until I get back home to watch my favorite shows. I don't have to do this with HBO Now. Get with the program, UVERSE!!! Learn from HBO!!!

[ Edited ]
29 of 44 (15,332 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2016 8:35:11 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by nieten7642 on Feb 13, 2016 at 9:28:26 AM

paulgarcia wrote:

Hello there.

I don't think anyone is talking about literally copying video files to their computer. They simply want to access their programs via a web or app service and watch them on their computers or devices. Kind of like HBO Now. 

For example, I want to be able to watch Walking Dead from my DVR on my laptop or devices when I travel with the ability to starte it a little on the later side, pause, rewind, etc. streaming through the cloud. Not downloading actual video files to my device. Like you do with Hulu or HBO Now. This should not be a licensing issue.

paulgarcia wrote:

Hello there.

I don't think anyone is talking about literally copying video files to their computer. They simply want to access their programs via a web or app service and watch them on their computers or devices. Kind of like HBO Now. 

For example, I want to be able to watch Walking Dead from my DVR on my laptop or devices when I travel with the ability to starte it a little on the later side, pause, rewind, etc. streaming through the cloud. Not downloading actual video files to my device. Like you do with Hulu or HBO Now. This should not be a licensing issue.

[ Edited ]
30 of 44 (15,329 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments