Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jun 20, 2013
3:46:31 PM
View profile
While recording 4 different programs the DVR will not let us view additional channels, NORMAL?

While recording 4 different programs the DVR will not let us view additional channels, NORMAL?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jun 20, 2013 4:23:45 PM
(0)
Employee

Hey, okm

This has to do with something called "Stream Management". Live TV, Pay-Per-View, U-verse Movies, On Demand, Recording TV shows, and applications come as streams of content to the TV receivers. We provision each household with a maximum amount of network bandwidth based on the capacity of the network and the distance from the home to the serving terminal in your neighborhood. Stream management limits the number of streams so that it won't exceed the available bandwidth. Each U-verse TV customer has a total of 4 streams, they're broken down into HD (High Def) and SD (Standard Def) streams.

Check this discussion for more details and examples: activity limit of four at one time, Why?

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jun 20, 2013 4:23:45 PM
(0)
Employee

Hey, okm

This has to do with something called "Stream Management". Live TV, Pay-Per-View, U-verse Movies, On Demand, Recording TV shows, and applications come as streams of content to the TV receivers. We provision each household with a maximum amount of network bandwidth based on the capacity of the network and the distance from the home to the serving terminal in your neighborhood. Stream management limits the number of streams so that it won't exceed the available bandwidth. Each U-verse TV customer has a total of 4 streams, they're broken down into HD (High Def) and SD (Standard Def) streams.

Check this discussion for more details and examples: activity limit of four at one time, Why?

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

Hey, okm

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: While recording 4 different programs the DVR will not let us view additional channels, NORMAL?

2 of 3 (2,039 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2013 8:29:16 AM
(0)
Scholar

It is the restriction occuring because of the stream allocations.

With U-Verse, at once, we can watch or record 4 shows. Recording a program is also considered as a stream consumption.

So, if you are recording 4 shows at a particcular time, you will not be able to view or record a 5th program. However, you will be able to view any one of the programs that are being recorded.

Recording and watching the same show on multiple TVs will consume only one stream, regardless of number of TVs.

It is the restriction occuring because of the stream allocations.

With U-Verse, at once, we can watch or record 4 shows. Recording a program is also considered as a stream consumption.

So, if you are recording 4 shows at a particcular time, you will not be able to view or record a 5th program. However, you will be able to view any one of the programs that are being recorded.

Recording and watching the same show on multiple TVs will consume only one stream, regardless of number of TVs.

Re: While recording 4 different programs the DVR will not let us view additional channels, NORMAL?

3 of 3 (2,039 Views)