Pixels4Life's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, September 8th, 2014 3:04 AM

U-Verse has bad compression.

I agree with John Trang.

I have a Sony XBR55X850A, and have been so excited to see some live football on it.  I have spent so many hours over the last two weekends trying out SEVERAL arrays of settings, and I can't get the artifacts/pixelations around the players to dissappear.  This is a 4K TV so I don't see that being the problem, or maybe it is over-correcting something?

I have also used a plain LCD TV, as opposed to my current LED LCD TV, and had these same problems.

I have tried calling to increase my bandwidth/speed, they only offer up to 18 GB down/1.5 GB up in my location; I have fiber all the way to my router, so I don't see that being an issue.

In supplement to that, I've done quite a bit of research, and it seems to me U-Verse is just garbage for picture quality.

Feel free to prove me wrong, I'd LOVE the help if I am simply confused.  Until then, I will NOT be telling people anything good about U-Verse as I am EXTREMELY dissatisfied with the TV service.  The internet is ok, but Cox has them beat by a longshot with speed/price ratio (even before DOUBLING their speeds for FREE).

Also, John Trang:  If it's not too much of a problem, what settings are you using?  I'll put mine below in case it helps yours.  Good Luck!

It still looks like crap, but here's what I'm using:

Picture Mode (Scene Select):  Sports

Backlight:  Max

Picture:  95

Brightness:  45

Color:  75

Hue:  0

Color Tempurature:  Neutral or Cool

Sharpness:  Max

Noise Reduction:  Auto

Dot Noise Reduction:  Auto

Dot Noise Reduction:  Auto

Reality Creation:  Manual

Video Area Detection:  Off

Noise Filtering:  Min

Smooth Gradation:  Off

Motionflow:  True Cinema

CineMotion:  Auto

Advanced:

Black Corrector:  Medium

Adv. Contrast Enhancer:  Medium

Gamma:  0

LED Dynamic Control:  Standard

Auto Light Limiter:  Off

Clear White:  High

Live Color:  High

White Balance:  Default

Detail Enhancer:  Medium

Edge Enhancer:  Medium

Skin Naturalizer:  Off

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

104 Messages

10 years ago

U-Verse simply over compresses the streams to get more out of its limited bandwidth. No amount of settings or tech support calls will change this. For a lot of people it doesnt bother them and they learn to live with it. For others its a deal breaker and they move to another provider.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

10 years ago

@Pixels4Life Your internet speed has nothing to do w/TV reception. 

Just looking at your settings, color seems way too high, mine is set at 46/100.  Unluckily there's no longer an HDNet that had a test pattern early Sat morns we could adjust the picture.

I have great Uverse HD TV under these conditions for more than 6 years:

I have a 42" Panasonic plasma w/an anti reflective screen and 480hz sub field drive connected by component. I sit at the far viewing distance (3 x diagonal distance-10.5') as that's the way my apartment lays out. All cat5e/ethernet patch cable install.

Essentially the artifacts I see are 'football grass' slight movement (1080i) and increasingly fewer backgrounds 'moving slightly'.

In sports, on Uverse, 720p Networks(FOX, ABC/ESPNs) tend to be better than 1080i Networks (CBS, TNT, TBS, all NBC channels) due to the fact the 1080i Networks need 10-20% more bandwidth to be equivalent to 720p. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATTUverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Bandwidth has everything to do with this.  If they would provision the consumers' bandwidth properly, the signal would need much less compression.

If AT&T openly admits they use YOUR "fiber" VDSL connection to get TV to your house, the amount of bandwidth definitly matters.

If I had any idea every TV that is "on" ate into my wifi by as much as half, I would have never signed up for this.  Cannot wait for contract to end!

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

8 years ago

@outahere, care to explain what you mean by "If they would provision the consumers' bandwidth properly?"

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.