Erwin.manlapaz's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Thursday, May 26th, 2016 10:54 PM

U-Verse STB causing slow 5Ghz wifi performance.

Every time I turn my U-Verse STB to watch TV, my family and I have noticed a huge drop off in the speed and performance of our 5Ghz wifi. I have tested this several times and it as it turns out, when the receiver is off, the wifi speed returns and when I turn it on I see >75% drop in speed. What is happening here? I've had the u-verse tv service for 2 days, but I'll have to cancel the service if i can't get this resolved. Help!!!

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

That makes sense. Would the scenario you describe affect other wireless AP's in the house as well? I have turned on the STB, gone to a different part of the house which is handled by a different wireless router and performed the same speedtest and I did not experience a performance hit. Would all IP's be affected by the multicast traffic?

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

8 years ago

I don't have a good handle on what you mean by "I have three routers, all wired in bridge."

If all your routers are directly (or indirectly) connected to the same switch, which is in turn connected to the Gateway, then they will all experience the same issue when any STB anywhere in that tree starts viewing live content.  If they are connected to different ports on the Gateway, then they should only have issues when IPTV on their port goes active.

Note, however, that when any STB starts viewing live content that the DVR will also request the same multicast feed, thus any wireless router connected to the same Gateway "leg" as the DVR would experience issues as well, even if not connected to the Gateway "leg" where the STB is connected.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.