For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
dinojay52's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, March 26th, 2016 4:49 AM

U-Verse PIP

Maybe I'm not understanding how the U-Verse PIP works but I've had PIP with other carriers and I could watch one full screen and another small screen at the same time. And, I could pause and switch between the two--could pause one or both then switch to and restart whichever one I wanted to watch at the moment. With U-Verse, even with My Multiview Favorites setup, I have to flip through channel after channel to get to the favorites so I'm not seeing the advantage of it yet. Furthermore, the PIP only show for about 10 seconds then disappear. I want to be able to watch more than one pic at a time, pause and switch between them. Is this possible???

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

8 years ago

@dinojay52 - No, you are not misunderstanding. No, it is not possible to do with one STB.

att originally touted the preview picture as PIP. Then they introduuced the UPS called multiview.

Multiview is a Favorites guide with pictures. In fact, the favorites guide & multiview use the same channel list. Another design disaster.

People have been requesting a functional PIP for ten years. What are the chances for the combined product?

For multiviewing, you need multi-TVs & multi-STBs. (see my avatar). You could use one TV with PIP & two STBs as long as the TV allows multiple HDMI inputs for PIP. Many require at least one source be the TV tuner.

Then you need a Logitech Harmony hub based remote to control multiple STBs with the same IR. Be sure the TVs use different IR. Get a ZVOX sound bar for better sound & to move the audio independently.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

8 years ago

@dinojay52 wrote:
Maybe I'm not understanding how the U-Verse PIP works but I've had PIP with other carriers and I could watch one full screen and another small screen at the same time. And, I could pause and switch between the two--could pause one or both then switch to and restart whichever one I wanted to watch at the moment. With U-Verse, even with My Multiview Favorites setup, I have to flip through channel after channel to get to the favorites so I'm not seeing the advantage of it yet. Furthermore, the PIP only show for about 10 seconds then disappear. I want to be able to watch more than one pic at a time, pause and switch between them. Is this possible???

The way I understand it, IPTV (ie: Uverse) only sends the channel you're watching (and/or recording) to your box, not all channels.  There is a 'buffer' when watching a channel but as soon as you change the channel, the buffer is lost...unless you are recording.  In order to 'switch' between 2 channels, you can DVR them both and then switch because you are not losing the buffer.

Your statement: "PIP only show for about 10 seconds then disappear(s)" is incorrect from the start.  You are NOT seeing picture-in-picture.  You are seeing a preview, hence the reason it quickly disappears.

So bottom line:  Uverse does not provide PIP BUT you can switch between 2 channels if you are recording them.

Remember, this isn't cable TV....it's Uverse.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I understand what you're saying. I did the Multiview and it did show 3/4 screen with the smaller favorites screens to the right. It does cut off some of the writing on the main screen which isn't a big problem, most of the time. I have always had satellite TV in two rooms due to my location and, with the last carrier, I could hit a button and switch between screens. I could pause one, go to the other, watch it, pause it, switch to the other and restart it. I could go back and forth without a problem. And, my HDTV showed the PIP in a corner of the large screen and could be moved around. It didn't shrink the screen like this one but I can live with it. Not only that, this has a VR mode which I didn't have on the last one so I could record anything I wanted to my DVD recorder. Furthermore, if I accidently hit the remote, it would have me verify I want to change the channel which is great because sometimes I would rewind and not lose anything by not changing the channel. I could also rewind for 2 hours (great for movies) rather than 1 hour. Lots of issues to deal with compared to my last carrier and irritating but the saving grace is that I do get more HD channels and a nice discount for multiple services. But, I'm not sure I would have switched had I known the shortfalls (differences) of U-Verse.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

8 years ago

@dinojay52 - As @skeeterintexas points out & you seem to have picked up on - the DVR is a powerful tool for power viewing. You can start watching while it is still recording.

You can swap in & out of a recording while watching live(use the LAST button)  which you cannot stop the buffer - but, you can rewind if you hold the buffer with another STB/TV tuned to the same channel. Or, if you have another STB, you could parallel connect it to another TV that lets you see when the live program comes back.

Please post if you would like to do other power watching.

If you want to clean up your typos, the edit is under post options (lower left). I see you found the edit.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Thanks for all the explanatory information everyone. It's just very misleading when my U-Verse remote has a button (the up arrow button), that is labeled "PIP Browse." It definitely gives the impression that "toggling" between two channels is possible. At least I think it does. 😞
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.