Ask a question

Posted Feb 13, 2014
    7:04:07 PM
    View profile
    Coax or Cat5

We had Uverse TV and cancelled it. Now we are considering getting Uverse TV again with one or two STB's. The coax cable, AT&T splitters and connectors are still in place. Does the installer still have the option of using existing coax or must cat5 cables now be used?

If I wanted the installer to run cat5 cable from the RG to an Home Theater System, how would I order that and how much would I be charged?

(1)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Solved
    Jul 9, 2014 4:31:59 PM
    (1)
    Employee
    No self install option on adding hardwired receiver.... tech service call to add equipment $99.

To save money and time.... no waiting for appointment plus any wiring time if needed.... the wireless receiver. At $49 one time fee half cost of tech visit, direct shipped means no need to waiting appointment needed. And the wireless receiver does have an ethernet port if want to hardline yourself and not use wireless access point.

win...win.
    *I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
    Accepted Solution

Coax or Cat5

33 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (33)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 13, 2014 7:32:26 PM
    (0)
    Employee
    Preferred method of install if devices are wireless, cat5 cable NID to RG, RG near main DVR location, premade Ethernet cable to DVR, if this is HTS location, another premade (6 to 15 feet) to HTS. Wireless Access Point on 6 foot Ethernet. Up to two wireless receivers.

The installer can run up to 3 lines without charge, the home run (NID to RG) counts as 1.
    Each wire run over 3 is $55 per cable.

Wireless receiver is $49 each one time charge, plus $8 per month same as hardwired ($8).
    If order u300 or u450 can order 1 wireless receiver without $49 one time charge.

While existing coax can be used, the recommendation is not to.
    *I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Coax or Cat5

2 of 34 (6,569 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 14, 2014 3:38:54 AM
    (0)
    Scholar
    I would want everything wired. If we do get TV again I will tell the tech to use cat5 instead if coax. There would be two wires run. We already have cat5 from the inid to the existing RG (i38hg).

3 of 34 (6,540 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 22, 2014 2:57:49 PM
    (0)
    Scholar
    If we do have an ethernet cable run to the Home theater, can someone recommend a switch(?) to use to connect three devices? I would assume the cable from the router into the switch and three ethernet cables out to the devices. For future proofing, a 6-8 port switch would work too. Would the tech have one in the truck that could be bought and used?

4 of 34 (6,484 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 22, 2014 3:16:14 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master
    browndk26 - I use one of these 108 switches that I believe had been recommended in posts. THere do seem to be variations of the letter designation. Not sure how much difference it makes.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006RVPW/ref=asc_df_B00006RVPW1644937?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B00006RVPW

One thing that does make a difference is - keep a path to the RG for video and one for internet access. If you mix video and internet on the same path/switch it may flood the switch. This forces at least two cat5 cable from the location to the RG. Then you have to decide if you want more cables, one or two switches.
    *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 34 (6,484 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 22, 2014 3:27:32 PM
    (0)
    Scholar
    Thanks aviewer. I will have them run two cables to the Home theater. With the above switch, does the cable from the router plug into any of the 8 ports pictured? There is no "in" port and "out" ports?

6 of 34 (6,481 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 22, 2014 3:49:50 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master
    browndk26 - Now that you mention it, I think that confused me too. The directions must have covered it.
    *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 34 (6,474 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 26, 2014 6:50:24 PM
    (0)
    Guru

browndk26 wrote:
    Thanks aviewer. I will have them run two cables to the Home theater. With the above switch, does the cable from the router plug into any of the 8 ports pictured? There is no "in" port and "out" ports?

Yes. It's auto-uplink enabled, so it will detect which one of the ports is providing uplink data. (Out of habit, I always do port 1 or 8.)

8 of 34 (6,437 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 7, 2014 12:21:07 PM
    (0)
    Scholar
    I have read in some of the forums that inid installations are not being done anymore. If we added TV services again, would our inid be removed and would we be given another router? Or would we keep all the same equipment? We currently have the 2wire i38hg RG and a nid and inid on the outside of the house. Cat5 home run from the inid to the RG.

9 of 34 (6,384 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 7, 2014 12:34:13 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

If you were a new customer, you would not get an iNID.  You would have a Cat5e home run installed between your NID and your RG, and both pair would run from the VRAD, through your NID, to a Motorola NVG 589 RG which would handle the pair bonded VDSL2 connection.

If there isn't a problem with your current equipment, I don't know that they would want to replace stuff that's working.

It's a good question.  I hope my thoughts wanders through and can give a more informed, but still personal, opinion on this.

10 of 34 (6,381 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 7, 2014 7:22:43 PM
    (0)
    Employee
    Replace a working inid when adding TV service?
    More of a tech choice... inid are just original bonded installs, still carried on trucks, I have installed 2 past 90 days.
    Techs carry limited equipment, generally 2 of each RG, 3800, 3801, 589, 5031, 510, and (1) 3812, with PS, i38hg.
    If tech has no 589s, or has only one which fails to load software, installing inid.

My 1900 foot install today was a 3801, devices couldn't connect to wifi pass code,swapped for other 3801....next job was a frequent 3800 repair with weak wifi...required to replace 3800 with 3801 on frequent, no more 3801 , installed 589.

Newer techs not familiar would remove inid, power supply, and i38hg. Install new nid,possible new cat5 home run if RG in different location than current i38hg indoor unit (IU). Experienced techs looking to save time would test equipment and use if no problems.

The only advantage is 589 having low frequency (2.4 ghz) n wireless.
    Either unit can have problems after install, seen 589 with flaky wifi signal within 30 days, ports fail, etc. So having newest equipment does not necessary mean problem free.

As the work order generally states RG to use, I would say odds about 65% new RG, but could just be inid replacement with another 3812 inid.

When in doubt ask installer....

11 of 34 (6,352 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 8, 2014 5:51:18 AM
    (0)
    Scholar
    Thanks for the responses. "If it is not broken, don't fix it" seems appropriate here.

12 of 34 (6,327 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 13, 2014 5:31:28 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

My Thoughts,

Can a cat 5 cable be run to a TV without an STB? To connect an internet device such as an Apple TV or Home Theater Receiver?

13 of 34 (6,239 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 13, 2014 7:00:28 PM
    (0)
    Employee
    In short, yes. (Standard Ethernet)

Need either a free port (yellow) on back if RG or to a gigabit switch such as GS108 if need expanded ports at RG.

http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_sku=sku3950269

14 of 34 (6,226 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 15, 2014 1:48:06 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

15 of 34 (6,202 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 15, 2014 1:50:58 PM
    (0)
    Scholar
    Edited by browndk26 on May 15, 2014 at 1:58:44 PM

We have u200 TV service scheduled to install tomorrow 05/16/14. I will post back how the install goes and if the existing INID and RG are replaced or kept. I am going to ask for one cat5 cable to the family room tv and 2 to the basement TV.

[ Edited ]
    16 of 34 (6,200 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 16, 2014 8:25:48 AM
    (0)
    Scholar
    Edited by browndk26 on May 16, 2014 at 9:33:50 AM

securedownload1.jpgsecuredownload2.jpgInstall took about 1 1/2 hours. The tech left the existing INID AND RG(i38hg). Ran cat 5 cable to the TV. He didn't want to run the extra cat 5 cable to the home theater so I didn't push that. The dvr is tiny and responds much quicker to the remote than the DVR/STB's we had before. The dvr is an IPH8005. I don't know what capacity hard drive it is. The tech said it has a replaceable hard drive.

[ Edited ]
    17 of 34 (6,164 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 16, 2014 9:11:00 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

browndk26 wrote:
    Install took about 1 1/2 hours. The tech left the existing INID AND RG(i38hg). Ran cat 5 cable to the TV. He didn't want to run the extra cat 5 cable to the home theater so I didn't push that. The dvr is tiny and responds much quicker to the remote than the DVR/STB's we had before. The dvr is an IPH8005. I don't know what capacity hard drive it is. The tech said it has a replaceable hard drive.

Replaceable in the refurbishment center, maybe.  Why do techs say stuff like this?

18 of 34 (6,158 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 16, 2014 10:17:29 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master
    JefferMC - That caught my eye, too. I googled it & the Pace web site does tout it as a feature -

DVR functions are supported utilizing a 500GB, 2.5” field-removable hard drive. By allowing for quick technician removal of the hard disk, operators can reduce service costs and simplify logistics when servicing customer returns. In addition, the IPH8005 offers quiet operation and a low-temperature, fanless design.

http://www.pace.com/americas/products/set-top-box/iptv/iph8005/

19 of 34 (6,149 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 16, 2014 11:30:00 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

aviewer wrote:
    JefferMC - That caught my eye, too. I googled it & the Pace web site does tout it as a feature -

DVR functions are supported utilizing a 500GB, 2.5” field-removable hard drive. By allowing for quick technician removal of the hard disk, operators can reduce service costs and simplify logistics when servicing customer returns. In addition, the IPH8005 offers quiet operation and a low-temperature, fanless design.

http://www.pace.com/americas/products/set-top-box/iptv/iph8005/

"when servicing customer returns" i.e. during testing/refurbishment.  "Field-removeable" meaning in the operator's facility as opposed to PACE's.

20 of 34 (6,143 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 29, 2014 3:14:56 PM
    (0)
    Scholar
    If I wanted to move the STB to another TV, do I just plug it into an Ethernet cable connected to the RG and power up the STB? I may want to occasionally watch recorded shows on the basement TV with surround sound.

21 of 34 (6,070 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 29, 2014 4:43:15 PM
    (0)
    Employee
    If you have only one tv receiver. ..the DVR... yes may relocate. If have multiple receivers would encourage acquiring a wireless receiver to move from lication to location. The wireless receiver has a one time fee of $49 includes a Wireless Access Point..need a free port on back of RG...and is $8 per month. Swapping an existing hardwired receiver for wireless may even allow for reducing number of needed receivers saving money.

22 of 34 (6,060 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 29, 2014 4:57:57 PM
    (0)
    Scholar
    Thanks. We have the DVR only. No plans to get another receiver. I would get a wired one if we did.

23 of 34 (6,058 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 9, 2014 3:10:11 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

How much would it cost to add a wired receiver to our existing Service? U200 tv with 1 DVR. I38HG RG. Current DVR is connected by ATT installed ethernet cable.

If a tech came would I be charged for a tech vist of $99 and $54 wire charge to extend an existing ethernet cable run to the TV? Is there an activation fee for the additional receiver? If I extended the ethernet cable myself, can a receiver be shipped to me and I connect it myself? Still an activation fee if I can connect it myself?

24 of 34 (5,798 Views)
    Highlighted
    (1)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Solved
    Jul 9, 2014 4:31:59 PM
    (1)
    Employee
    No self install option on adding hardwired receiver.... tech service call to add equipment $99.

To save money and time.... no waiting for appointment plus any wiring time if needed.... the wireless receiver. At $49 one time fee half cost of tech visit, direct shipped means no need to waiting appointment needed. And the wireless receiver does have an ethernet port if want to hardline yourself and not use wireless access point.

win...win.

25 of 34 (5,790 Views)
    Solution
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 9, 2014 4:38:08 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

my thoughts wrote:

win...win.
    Thanks my thoughts. I hadn't thought about wiring the wireless receiver. Do I still pay a monthly fee for the wireless receiver after the $49 one time fee?

26 of 34 (5,788 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 13, 2014 7:46:00 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Expert

Yes, it's still an additional receiver. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
    Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
    or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)

Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
    I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

27 of 34 (5,720 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 1, 2014 7:44:33 PM
    (0)
    Scholar
    Is it ok to leave an Ethernet cable that is not connected to a device plugged into the RG? I would presume no signal would be going into that unconnected cable.

Is it ok to leave an Ethernet cable that is not connected...

28 of 34 (5,347 Views)
    (1)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 1, 2014 7:58:11 PM
    (1)
    ACE - Master

Ethernet: yes, it's okay.

Re: Is it ok to leave an Ethernet cable that is not connected...

29 of 34 (5,344 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 5, 2014 3:55:21 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

Thanks.

Another question. I am going to extend the existing ethernet cable (that is connected to the RG) by using a coupler between two ethernet cables to connect to an apple TV. Will any cat 5 cable  be ok to use? Any specs I should look for?

Re: Is it ok to leave an Ethernet cable that is not connected...

30 of 34 (5,153 Views)