Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Mar 11, 2014
1:58:28 PM
View profile
Change VIP1200 from wired to wireless

We just moved into a brand new house, which has wired ethernet ports.  Unfortunately, the one in the study is right where I want to put the couch, and the TV needs to go on the other side of the room.  When the Uverse guy was here, I asked him about switching a receiver from wired to wireless in the future, and he said I could, but "You would have to figure out how to do it."  Well, that's what I'm trying to do without calling the guy back out here or calling his cell phone.  I moved the TV/receiver temporarily as close as I could to the RG setup, but it still won't work.  Is there something I need to do to the router configuration in order to make this TV wireless?  Thanks

We just moved into a brand new house, which has wired ethernet ports.  Unfortunately, the one in the study is right where I want to put the couch, and the TV needs to go on the other side of the room.  When the Uverse guy was here, I asked him about switching a receiver from wired to wireless in the future, and he said I could, but "You would have to figure out how to do it."  Well, that's what I'm trying to do without calling the guy back out here or calling his cell phone.  I moved the TV/receiver temporarily as close as I could to the RG setup, but it still won't work.  Is there something I need to do to the router configuration in order to make this TV wireless?  Thanks

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 11, 2014 7:01:48 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

The Motorola VIP1200 is not a wireless receiver.  Is that what you actually have?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Change VIP1200 from wired to wireless

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 11, 2014 2:40:25 PM
(0)
Employee
There should be a Wireless Access Point (WAP) attached to the Residential Gateway (RG).
Recommend placing the wireless receiver close to the WAP, attach to TV and plug in.
After some time a screen will appear asking to depress the OK button on receiver, then given two minutes to depress button on WAP.
After successful link, will be asked to depress OK on receiver at prompt try again.
Will be asked to depress OK third time for update now.

After about 10 minutes should have On Demand Screen, enter channel number, verify picture.

Now unplug and take receiver to desired location, attach, apply power. Should have minimum 3 bars and picture of last channel watched when completed booting.

If receiving error message about not assigned to account, will need to contact install tech or call 1-800-288-2020 to have box cleaned or schedule a tech visit.
There should be a Wireless Access Point (WAP) attached to the Residential Gateway (RG).
Recommend placing the wireless receiver close to the WAP, attach to TV and plug in.
After some time a screen will appear asking to depress the OK button on receiver, then given two minutes to depress button on WAP.
After successful link, will be asked to depress OK on receiver at prompt try again.
Will be asked to depress OK third time for update now.

After about 10 minutes should have On Demand Screen, enter channel number, verify picture.

Now unplug and take receiver to desired location, attach, apply power. Should have minimum 3 bars and picture of last channel watched when completed booting.

If receiving error message about not assigned to account, will need to contact install tech or call 1-800-288-2020 to have box cleaned or schedule a tech visit.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Change VIP1200 from wired to wireless

2 of 5 (1,955 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 11, 2014 3:18:53 PM
(0)
Tutor

Okay, thanks, I did try all that more than once, and I will try again, but I don't think it will work.  The receiver was just installed a couple of months ago (January), so I don't think it's broken.  At first it told me the client was unavailable, so I did a factory reset on the receiver, but then it finally just gave me the red X.  Where I have it now there's only one interior wall blocking the RG.  Also, when I access the router using 192.168.1.254, I can see the receiver as an inactive ethernet device.

Okay, thanks, I did try all that more than once, and I will try again, but I don't think it will work.  The receiver was just installed a couple of months ago (January), so I don't think it's broken.  At first it told me the client was unavailable, so I did a factory reset on the receiver, but then it finally just gave me the red X.  Where I have it now there's only one interior wall blocking the RG.  Also, when I access the router using 192.168.1.254, I can see the receiver as an inactive ethernet device.

3 of 5 (1,952 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 11, 2014 7:01:48 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

The Motorola VIP1200 is not a wireless receiver.  Is that what you actually have?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 5 (1,927 Views)
Solution
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 11, 2014 8:43:46 PM
(0)
Tutor

LOL, That would explain a lot!  Thanks

LOL, That would explain a lot!  Thanks