Explore & discover

Helpful Links

wifi with direct tv now

Tutor

wifi with direct tv now

Second attempt as I do not think the first was posted. Can I use my wifi to use streaming tv service to display on my desktop screen? Is it as simple as subscribing, downloading, open icon to watch? Then cancel my cable service to use wifi instead of a wired connection? Extra equipment at more $s? Please provide a complete answer. The corporate websites are useless. [edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]

Message 1 of 8
Professor

Re: wifi with direct tv now

It sounds like you may be confused about how your internet service and wifi work. Desktop PCs typically don't have wifi. They are usually wired to your router which is connected to your internet service provider through a modem or some other gateway device. You can indeed watch DirecTV NOW on any device (PC, phone, streaming box, etc.) over wifi, but that ultimately comes from your cable service. If you cancel your cable service entirely, all internet access goes away, including wifi. You CAN cancel just the cable TV portion of your cable service, but not the internet part. DirecTV NOW can take the place of the cable TV part of your service.

If I've misunderstood and you're talking about using just your cellphone data by tethering over wifi, that would work too, and you could cancel your cable service entirely. But that is typically slow, limited and expensive when you hit your cap.

So to clarify, tell us in detail what internet and tv services you had before you signed up for DirecTV NOW. For example, you might say you have Comcast for internet and you have X1 double play for TV. Or you have AT&T unlimited data phone service and wish to drop Comcast entirely.

Message 2 of 8
Tutor

Yes you did misunderstand. My cable provider gives me an ETHERNET wired connection PLUS a wireless router. My residence gives me WIFI independent of the cable company. I can use any of the 3 to connect to my desktop. I generally use the buildings WIFI because I use an adapter to tap into it,, and its FREE. So again under these conditions the cable provider would serve no purpose. Of course I would lose the phone but that is not important or ATT could provide a land line. The building is wired for phone. Some residents use land lines some use cable, some use nothing. I use a converter to send my desktop screen to my TV so I can watch NOW there. Speed is not too much of a concern as long as the quality is good and not choppy and the audio is in sync.

I use a video capture device and record audio through the line in port. A/V is in sync. So I think my logic is sound concerning NOW> Details please. Thanks for the reply.

Message 3 of 8
Professor

Should work fine. It’s free to try out for yourself to see if speed is good enough. If Netflix works, then DTVN will work. I wouldn’t do the recording thing like that. I’d just get the DVR version of the app or use PlayOn. What other details do you need?

Message 4 of 8
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by Administrator (Administrator)
Accepted by ATTLiz
‎06-19-2018 8:11 AM

DirecTV Now is what is called an OTT (Over The Top) service, meaning it runs on top of some internet service - it doesn't care what internet service (provided the service offers enough bandwidth).  So if you can run your computer using the building supplied internet service, and that is how you would want to run DirecTV Now, that would be fine - with the preceding caveat.  DirecTV Now (like any video service) requires a fair amount of bandwidth (network speed) - the recommended minimum around 10Mbps, though it will probably work OK with a somewhat slower connection.  It consumes a large amount of data in use (on the order of 3GB of data per hour of use).  Both of these might be a concern when you wish to use a "public" WiFi network.  Those usually provide what is needed for some web browsing, but may not provide enough for video streaming, at least for significant/long-term use.  Because they are shared resources, public WiFi (at least unless they are heavily overprovisioned) often have bottlenecks that will limit the amount of the resource that any single user can use over time.  (For example, there may well be enough for you to do this, but there may not be enough for 3 or 4 people to do so, and if that happens, all of those users will have problems.)  Some public networks place (not always enforced) limits on users to prevent a heavy user from impacting other users - others don't say anything, but still have practical limits.  (As other users do things, you may find times when your available bandwidth drops below what is needed - which would cause the video to stall or drop out completely - the choppiness you want to avoid.  If this is infrequent, it may well be tolerable - less so if it is common.)  So as @lydian suggests, you should try it (with a trial) and see how it behaves - with the understanding that it could change over time, depending on what other users of the building WiFi do.

For your other questions: there is useful info in the Help Center (here).  Quick responses:  Yes, you just need to subscribe.  There is no DirecTV Now equipment per se, but you need something to stream to and watch on.  That can be a mobile device (Apple or Android phone or tablet), streaming device (Roku, Amazon Fire, or Apple TV) attached to or built-into a TV, or a computer equipped with Chrome.  Whether there is anything to download depends on what device(s) you want to use - computers don't need anything, other devices need (free) apps available in their respective app stores.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 5 of 8
Tutor

thanks for your answer. it sounds like NOW is a possibility. My wifi is used only by 2 people. The other 2 use wired connection. I can also send my desktop screen to my tv screen. The goal here is to cancel my cable service. As long as the $s do not increase too much over time. I can get away without a phone. or if needed get one later from ATT or other provider. As long as equiptment is not needed which my building would not allow, NOW is worth looking into.

Message 6 of 8
Professor

Casting from a desktop PC isn’t a very convenient way to use DTVN. I recommend connecting a streaming device to your TV. You can buy a Roku for $25 or get an Apple TV for free if you prepay a couple of months. 

Message 7 of 8
Tutor

I have decided for the moment to delay NOW and stick with my desktop/wifi combination. The tv content is easily searchable using any search engine and browser of which I use 7. Not as conveinient as an interface or tv remote but it is not a big deal. I also understand that NOW is not perfect yet. Content not available, dvr not available ect. Capture device can output any video connected. I use DEBUT app to record or even VLC from youtube. Almost unlimited content on the net/web. Works for me. Without the building wifi I would have nothing. Lucked out there.

Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support