Explore & discover

Helpful Links

recording sports

Highlighted
Mentor

recording sports

Three questions please:

Is there no easy way to record all the games of a sports team?
(Specifically, my local NBA team the GS Warriors.)

I just began my DTVN trial, and selected (both from the guide and via Search) the next game of a local MLB team (since it's not NBA season yet, I'm using SF Giants games as a stand-in for testing GSW availability) on the same RSN (NBC Sports Bay Area), and it seems I can only set recordings for each game individually. (Not ideal since I have carpal tunnel and I'm busy.) The "View All Episodes" button displays *all* MLB games by all teams(!).

(I'm leaving Comcast and they don't do a great job of this either; but at least their DVR would auto-record every program with the team name in it.)

Also not optimal is that (when I searched this forum for an answer before posting) it appears that I won't be able to watch a game on my RSN if it is also being broadcast on a national network?

(IIRC that happened about a dozen times last season, and I greatly prefer my RSN's broadcasters.)

I saw on another thread that I can watch games on the NBC Sports app...but after authenticating that app with DTVN on my roku, I found ZERO baseball of any kind anywhere on it.

Are 1 & 2 also the case on DTV Satellite?

(If not, I'm tempted to switch to Satellite and pay more for more powerful functionality. Particularly if the Satellite DVR were actually smart enough to give preference to the RSN, that would be heaven!)

I'm using a Roku Ultra.

Message 1 of 5
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by Community Manager (Community Manager)
Accepted by ATTDmitriyCM
‎10-05-2018 10:35 AM

Re: recording sports

1. At this time that is true.  The DVR feature set is pretty basic right now, and while there is (some) ability to record a "series", sports teams aren't considered series, and there is no way to schedule (wildcard) recordings based on name.  There are a good number of fairly common features missing (at least some of which seem relatively necessary to have a competitive product).  I don't know if that is one - I've never had a DVR that allowed "series" recording of a sports team, but it seems pretty useful and there have been numerous requests for it, so they will hopefully add it.  I believe they are holding off on adding (or at least releasing) enhancements to the DVR functionality until the basic functionality is solid for pretty much all users, which it still doesn't seem to be.
  2. I would think all the blackout rules are up to the various leagues, teams, and the hierarchy of rights they've sold to various broadcasters/carriers.  So with DTVN being a retransmitter, they are constrained by the standing of the everyone they are retransmitting.  Streaming in general also appears to be lower in the hierarchy, so the bottom line is that there are lots of opportunities for different rights holders to impose blackouts, and none of them are really up to DTVN.  (And MLB's blackout rules are probably the most arcane of all.)
  3. No idea.  Your best bet at getting a good answer (meaning one from someone who uses DTV and might really know) would be to post the same question on a DTV forum.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 5
Mentor

Thank you very much for your reply, Jrandomuser!

I did subsequently reach DTV support and the blackouts I mentioned don't occur on DTV.Satellite.  I dunno why, but it's not uncommon for streaming rights to be negotiated separately from non-streaming rights.  Or maybe DTVN has rights that flow secondarily from DTV.Satellite?

Message 3 of 5
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by coyote3
‎09-20-2018 10:58 AM

No, DTVN has to negotiate completely separate rights from those that DTV has - they don't get to share.  And yes, streaming rights are very often negotiated separately in any case.  In general, the content owners (and rights holders with redistribution rights) tend to shave the rights finely in order to maximize their take.  That frequently means that DTVN and the other live streaming services are at the bottom of the pile and suffer the most blackouts and other limitations.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 5
Mentor

Perhaps someday as they become more popular/powerful, streaming services will suffer fewer extra limitations.

I hope so, I really prefer listening to local sports broadcasts.

Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support