Explore & discover

Helpful Links

local channels on a firestick

local channels on a firestick

Having trouble getting locals on a firestick. Can get them on my phone and 1 smart tv.

Had local ISP changed equipment and locals went out after that.

Will I need to reload the app on the firestick ?

Message 1 of 8
ACE - Expert

Re: local channels on a firestick

Have you verified your IP address location by going here

Your cell phone uses GPS to determine your device location and with GPS it knows exactly where you are located. Whereas your streaming device uses your IP address for device location. My guess is that either your ISP's IP address is not in the local location based on your billing zip code to receive the local or the geolocation services used by DTVN has just miss-identified you as not being in the local area.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 8

I am with the isp working on a customers service.

I just checked her ip with arin.net . It shows the location is right.

But thanks for your input it was very helpful. 

Message 3 of 8
ACE - Expert

Then you have just been miss-identified by the geolocation services that DTVN uses since you can get the locals on your cell phone.. They may or may not show up in the future. Nothing no one here can do. Suggest you contact support using the chat and discuss with a support agent. Select "Contact Us" at the bottom of this page - then select "DirecTV NOW" - select "Chat" in middle of screen or a bubble may appear at the bottom of page on the right side.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 8
ACE - Master

I'm not sure what you checked at ARIN - they don't (and really can't) have location info for individual addresses, just contact info for domains.  If you are with the actual customer's ISP, then you know the location of the endpoint (you installed it), but you (hopefully) don't give that info out except possibly as a general region for an address block.  The relevant thing to check is the address with the appropriate IP geolocation firm (and we don't know for sure which that is).

Message 5 of 8

If you go to the Arin web site and type the IP address that anyone can get by just doing what's my IP in the box on the top right of the web page. You get the info that I got. I am just trying to help a customer that direct TV now customer service told she needed to get a static IP from us to fix a trouble on 1 device. I guess I should just be like the big company's and not really care.
Message 6 of 8
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by emastowski
‎10-26-2018 3:23 AM

@emastowski  Yes - but what info reported there reflects the user's location?  You get info on the IP address's "owning" network (I mistakenly said domain - ARIN doesn't deal with domains).  For my IP address (I use ATT as my ISP), it shows some info about containing address block and the network, shows their "customer" (the ISP that "owns" that address block) as being in Plano Texas (which is where ATT is), and shows the points of contact (Ameritech in Plano and ATT IS in Redmond Washington) - nothing about me.  For whatever it is worth, I am actually in Florida.  Like I said, ARIN doesn't know anything about individual IP addresses besides what address block they are in (so which network and therefore which network provider) it is part of.  Their job is largely to administer the IP address blocks for (most of) North America that ICANN (IANA) delegated to them, and administering the associated registered networks.  If you work for that customer's ISP, checking her IP address should show your company. 

If you check my IP address against some of the IP geolocation companies (using say iplocation.net), all that they show (which is a far from complete list) currently indicate me at approximately correct locations - but at times in the past, some listed there have shown me in Texas (having picked up the Whois info) or other places.  No organization has actual (detailed) location info for arbitrary fixed IP endpoints (ignoring devices with their own location capabilities) except the ISPs themselves (who has it because - as I said - they actually installed that endpoint and know which IP address is (dynamically) assigned to that endpoint at any instant).  And they don't give that info out - at least I certainly hope that there are none that give it out (short of in response to a subpoena).  

However, DirecTV Now's customer service reps recommending a static IP address to "deal" with the problem of bad location determination is equally wrong.  Since there is no difference between a static IP address and a dynamic IP address - other than the fact that an ISP can change the latter at any time, but not the former - that means that there is no higher likelihood that a static IP address with be correctly geolocated than a dynamic IP address.  The only advantage is that since it won't ever change out from under the customer, if the geo companies do succeed in locating the device correctly, the reported location is less likely to subsequently be updated to a different (and wrong) location.  Less likely, but not no chance, because the geo companies have no way of knowing if they got it right, so they will continue to gather their selected clues for their location algorithms, and if they gather misleading clues for some reason, they could change their determination.  

So, I'm not saying you shouldn't care - I'm saying that unfortunately the problem derives from how the internet works (using what is basically location independent addressing) with the only entities actually knowing physical locations (correctly) unable to provide them, limitations in that device (since it can't find its own location with any accuracy), and the service provider (DirecTV Now's) need for an independently provided location - so there doesn't appear to be anything that can be directly done to "solve" the problem in this case.  It is sort of a matter of luck (or maybe you would say usage, as detected by the IP geolocation company) whether the location is reported correctly and accurately enough.  It appears that in most cases it is (at least eventually), but in a substantial number of cases it isn't.

This is clearly a problem that will ultimately need to be solved for the streaming TV model to reliably work.  Whether the answer is to (going forward) only support streaming devices that support reliable location services or to invent new protocols and mechanisms allowing secure and privacy protecting ways for location requiring services to be able to get (adequate) info from those that have it (and get that ubiquitously fielded), or something else is unknown.  In any case, it will be painful and expensive, so unlikely to happen any time soon...

Tags (1)
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

... and in the mean time, use of a simple location out of home range indicator, when any device app doesn’t match the qualifications of the local feed would help the user in troubleshooting and correction, of the issue directly with DTVN. 

Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support