Explore & discover

Helpful Links

cbs nbc abc

Contributor

cbs nbc abc

Why am I not able to stream these networks? My package says they are there.

Message 1 of 20
ACE - Expert

Re: cbs nbc abc

What device are you using? Can you receive the locals on a mobile device like your phone?

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 20
Contributor

Haven't tried on phone, but they don't show up on TV with Amazon Fire sticks

Message 3 of 20
ACE - Expert

When you test the phone that will tell us a lot about your location.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 20
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by L3slieC
‎03-26-2018 7:39 PM

If you are looking at the "package comparison" (here), you will notice that the broadcast networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, and CW) have asterisks next to them, with the key for the asterisk saying "To get a local or regional sports network, your billing address must match a local market, and your device must be in that location."  In my opinion the use of the term "local market" there is a little confusing, but what it means is that your billing address must be in one of the media markets in which they carry the local affiliate - which is far from all of them.  Those networks also show "VOD" (video on demand available), but not "LIVE" (the fact that CBS and CW show LIVE is an error) - a live stream may or may not be available, depending on where you are.  The channel lineups page (here) explains this, and includes a link to the local lookup tool (here) which shows which locals are currently available at a particular location - as they make more agreements with local stations and install the needed streaming systems, more are added there.  As those pages note, they not only need to carry the local affiliate in your location, but you (your streaming device) must also be at that location.  This leads to an additional problem - the mechanisms available for them to tell where your streaming device is vary by device, and some are not very reliable.  Phones are generally very reliable and accurate at locations (they have GPS and other ways of locating themselves) so they will almost always show the local channels that are available to you.  Some other devices also have generally reliable mechanisms.  But some don't (Roku, Fire, and most computers) and for a variety of reasons, those too frequently are determined to be at incorrect locations by the process used, leading to the devices not receiving the locals they should.  Unfortunately, there are currently no good and reliable alternatives available for those devices - a problem that is growing in impact.  (Technical groups have been looking at the issue for years - there are technical, legal, privacy, and other concerns that would need to be resolved, and many groups that would need to agree to and implement mechanisms, and so far this hasn't happened.  Putting a GPS chip in all the devices is unlikely for cost reasons, wouldn't help all the existing devices, and in many cases wouldn't work anyway.)

Tags (1)
Message 5 of 20
Contributor

Thanks (I guess?) I don't like it but it makes sense.

Message 6 of 20

I had the same problem.  Last Tuesday, March 20, they mysteriously disappeared from my guide.  I had to use the apps to watch all but CBS because I refused to pay their fee when the others are free.

This morning, March 27, ABC CBS NBC AND FOX are all back in my guide. Very weird.  Yours will probably come back I hope!

Message 7 of 20
Contributor

We have not been able to stream anything on our Roku TV or our other TVs with the Amazon Fire Stick (2nd Generation). We keep getting error messages saying something along the lines of "sorry, this channel is not included in your subscription". For the record, the channels (including local channels) are actually included in our subscription plan. The only place I can watch anything is on my computer...very angry and frustrated with this service!! There is no phone number to call (Directv won't help and say they can't answer any questions) and the online help chat service is an automated computer response with no help or legit answers. I'll be getting reimbursed for this crap. 

Message 8 of 20
ACE - Master

If it works on your computer, but not on the streaming devices, that implies there is a setup problem on the streaming devices.  Do they work for other apps?  Have you deleted and reloaded the DirecTV Now app on them?

For whatever it is worth, DirecTV can't help with DirecTV Now problems, because it is a completely different division of ATT - their support reps don't know anything about DTVN, they don't have access to DTVN subscriber accounts, etc.  The DTVN online chat is fronted by an auto-response system, but eventually it should pass you to an actual rep.  You can bypass the automated system and go straight to a rep by typing "representative" (or perhaps "person"?) to it right away. (Whether they can help you is a separate question...)

Message 9 of 20
Contributor

All of our other apps work completely fine. I deleted the Directv Now app
as you suggested but it’s still not working. My payment went through and we
only have one login account for Directv Now. I’m still baffled at why we
can’t watch anything on our devices, minus our computer. We downloaded the
app and logged in and can see the guide and channels but every time we try
and watch a channel, it says none of them are a part of our subscription,
but they are.
--

*Sarah Emanuels*
Message 10 of 20

OMG..I hear ya...makes ya want to go back to CABLE, no matter the cost..right?

Message 11 of 20
ACE - Expert

Have you logged into your account and verify the subscription is active? If so then contact support and they should be able to help you. They will probably just have to reset your account.

Select "Contact Us" below - then "DirecTV NOW" - go to bottom and select "Chat". It may take a few seconds to load.

Message 12 of 20
ACE - Master

@sungoddess0000 - if that is your view, then certainly go back to cable.  Most of us would agree that - in many/most cases - cable services provide more solid solutions and often more features and content.  But most of us are here because we think cost does matter.  TANSTAAFL - you get what you pay for.  If you are willing to pay for cable, go get cable...

Message 13 of 20
Tutor

Riddle me this someone, my zip code of 32926 does not have CBS as an option for local network channels. So i go to the big bang theory show in the search box and it lets me click on the option to record series. as soon as i click " record series" i get a pop up box that says CBS is not available for my current package ( i have the $35 one ) and says if i upgrade to the $50 package, i can record away on CBS for the big bang theory.

How is that possible ? If CBS is not available for 32926, how can it be if i pay them more ?

Am i paying DTV now to be the middle man thats selling me access to CBS live stream and then tacking on 8-10 dollars for handling ?

Or is this just another screw up on DTVNow ?

Message 14 of 20
ACE - Master

If you don't get the local CBS affiliate, then you don't - paying more wouldn't change that.   (CBS All Access is a different matter.  It might offer a live stream in your area, but regardless, it would be completely independent of DTVN - you would pay CBS directly.)  To record a broadcast net, you would need to get the local affiliate - because what you would record would actually be the affiliate.  My guess is that it probably shouldn't have even offered you the recording option if you don't get the affiliate (likely a bug or oversight on the developers' part - they do say it is still betaSmiley Happy), and whatever happened after that was a bit random.

If you did get your local affiliate, then in a sense DTVN would be a middle man, since they have to pay the local affiliate (an amount the station demands) for the right to carry them (just as they do for all the other channels).  However, they don't directly pass that charge on to you - it is just part of your package cost.  In some areas, this might help explain locals that aren't provided - those locals may be demanding more for carriage than DTVN can justify paying.  Some services (Spectrum and XFinity/Comcast cable, at least) do add a specific "broadcast TV fee" to your charges to cover expensive locals - no idea if that charge is actually a direct passthrough, or is "adjusted" however they want.

Message 15 of 20
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support