Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Wrong local channels

Highlighted
Contributor

Wrong local channels

The local channels I get do not match my location.  I live in the Cleveland, OH area and my billing zip code is correct, but I get Dayton, OH locals.  I have a friend that lives only a couple of miles from me (also on AT&T TV / AT&T TV NOW) and he gets Cleveland locals, same zip code as mine.  How can I change to Cleveland locals?

Message 1 of 26
Professor
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by RodMower
‎02-12-2019 11:19 AM

Re: Wrong local channels

Did you try seeing if you get the correct locals on your mobile device? Usually the problem is that your internet service provider knocks your IP address outside of your local area, which causes AT&T TV or AT&T TV NOW to think you are not in your correct zip code for the correct local channels. Mobile devices use GPS for your location, so those almost always get the correct local channels. You may need to contact your internet service provider and explain the situation.

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 26
ACE - Expert

Outside of maybe deleting the app and reinstalling or resetting your router or modem, there is nothing you can do. Your best shot is to complain to DTVN support. DTVN is the only one that can fix this issue. No one here in this forum can fix it. We can only offer suggestions that may or may not work for everyone.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 26

I've tried reaching out to DTVN support every month since the update in May 2018 caused this issue. They just blame my ISP, even though I've traced my IP to my correct location. They've "escalated" my issue several times without resolution. I'm ready to cancel DTVNOW. Even if I'm paying more for other services, doesn't make sense to stay with a company that has such inept customer service.

Message 4 of 26

I actually have the same issue and tried to explain to my internet provider and they said due to where some node is located my IP address with never say the correct town I live in.

Is it possible a VPN could change this?

Message 5 of 26
ACE - Expert

Yes, but DTVN does not support VPN's. So do not use it. Since the VPN hides your location they will give you no locals.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 26

Well it can be used for hiding but can also be used to look like I'm in
another location. Which was my thought.
Message 7 of 26
ACE - Expert

Your best shots are to use a antenna to get the locals or find a local provider.

Message 8 of 26

What do you mean local provider? I have cable now. But trying to drop it
and save money. I shouldn't be getting local news 100 miles away. Should be
getting the channel 30 miles away. I live in a very rural area. So antenna
signal may not work but guess I can try.
Message 9 of 26
ACE - Expert

Internet provider but being so far away (rural) you may have no choice.

Message 10 of 26

I only have one option spectrum
Message 11 of 26
ACE - Expert

Looks like you may be out of luck for locals. Curious - do you get any locals using your mobile device (phone)?

Message 12 of 26
Contributor

I'm in san diego and started receiving los angeles locals 2+ weeks ago.  multiple chat sessions and a couple call backs from att... still not resolved.  getting locals on my iphone (gps) but not on my fire tv 4k, roku or my computers connected to my home wifi.  i even tried using my hot spot on my phone for my fire tv connection, but that did not work either.  checked my spectrum ip address, it's local.  ive read that apple tv will solve this issue but i'm not planning to pay $150+ to fix dtvn's problem.  i'm planning to drop the dtvn service before next billing cycle.  i'm going to *h*u*l*u* (unfortunately no AMC) for a bit more/month but it gets my locals and 200 hr dvr.  att seems to have a lot of issues with their platform and poor support.  if it was my att phone, i could call and get real help!!

Message 13 of 26
Contributor

I think you are correct, but you get pushed to and escalation engineering which takes 10-14 days for a call back.  Direct TV is horrific when it comes to customer service. 

Message 14 of 26
ACE - Expert

It's not DirecTV but DirecTV Now. DirecTV has a separate support system with phone support.

Message 15 of 26
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support