Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Turn off prompt asking me if I’m still watching?

Highlighted

Turn off prompt asking me if I’m still watching?

When I watch DirecTVNOW after long periods of time, a prompt comes up on my screen asking me if I’m still watching.  If I don’t reply to it, I either get booted off the DirecTVNOW app or my TV turns off automatically (don’t remember which one happens).  What can I do to stop that prompt from coming up automatically?

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 10
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by OrangeCountyCA
‎05-24-2018 11:19 AM

Re: Turn off prompt asking me if I’m still watching?

At this time, nothing - besides interacting with the system (like changing the channel) at least every 4 hours.  Like almost all other streaming services, DTVN has a check after a long period with no interactions to confirm the user is still watching - this is both to protect the user (who might have data caps) from burning large amounts of data unnecessarily if they have gone away from their TV/device or have fallen asleep, and to save the service from having to send unnecessary data (and having to over-provision their infrastructure to handle that case, which would likely require them to raise prices to pay for that over-provisioning).  

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 10
Teacher

Vue did the same thing then they upgraded to allow up to 10 hours or to be turned off entirely. Honestly though, just hit a button on your controller. I actually don't mind it as sometimes I fall a sleep with the TV on.

Message 3 of 10
Tutor

Jumping in here, I know this is old, but it's what I found googling - I don't mind answering the prompt, but the streaming STOPS when it asks, and then takes time to reconnect, making me miss part of what I was watching.  Watching a Lord of the Rings marathon on Starz, and have already been asked twice, interrupting the movies.

Message 4 of 10
ACE - Master

Not stopping the stream would defeat the purpose - stopping an unwatched stream (to reduce their need to provision for not actually used service) is the point.  However, one possibility - to solve this very specific issue - might be for them to continue the stream behind the prompt for a short period - perhaps a couple of minutes - to allow an "I'm still here" response from someone who is watching without interrupting the stream (and stopping the stream if there is no response within that window).  I don't know how difficult it would be for them to implement that.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure how you would even suggest it - you could try through a support chat or perhaps the Facebook or Twitter groups, but I don't know how likely comments there would be to get to actually useful people.

This wouldn't "solve" the problem for people who aren't actually watching but still don't want the stream to stop (to provide background noise during the day or while they sleep, to entertain their pets in their absence, whatever), or the small group that are actually watching but are physically unable to use the remote.  I am not all that sympathetic to the former group - since they don't really care the source or content of the "noise", there are other ways for them to provide it (radio, antenna, streaming something random on the internet) without the potential of impacting everyone else. (And if they are present and awake, but just using it as background noise, interrupting the program for a brief period until they hit a button on the remote doesn't seem that terrible.)  I am more sympathetic to the latter (probably quite small) group, but am not sure of a good way to meet their needs without opening the door to the others.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 10
Tutor

No, it wouldn't defeat the purpose to put the prompt up while the stream was still going instead of interrupting the program.  It could go up for a couple of minutes and only then would it stop the steam if it didn't get a reply.  That way your show would be uninterrupted.

Message 6 of 10
Contributor

While I understand the usefulness of the prompt to people who have data caps, those of us who use the service who do not have data caps and have kids to occupy during the day with children's programming , it creates a major inconvenience, especially when the remote has been temporarily misplaced. At least put a option in the settings to change the duration between prompts or even cut it off completely.

Message 7 of 10
ACE - Expert

You should submit your suggestion using the "Feedback" section located on all the Help Center pages. This is just a user based forum with no DTVN support located here thus they will not see your request.

Message 8 of 10
Contributor

This keeps happening to us, but the time between questions keeps shrinking. Now it asks every 60 minutes, even when we have recently changed channels or gone to the menu. Completely annoying because we are here and we are watching!

Message 9 of 10
ACE - Expert

Nothing you can do about it. Other service have similar prompts.

Message 10 of 10
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support