Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Replace Direct TV with Direct TV Now

Highlighted
Contributor

Replace Direct TV with Direct TV Now

I have Direct TV and ATT Internet. (I don't record programs and my phone service is with Verizon.)

I know what I am paying now. I can't find a bundle for NOW with ATT Internet.

Individually it appears to cost more than my current plan - but that apparently includes ATT phone service.

Is there a link somewhere to help me determine costs - and make the change?

Message 1 of 22
ACE - Expert

Re: Replace Direct TV with Direct TV Now

Any internet will work with the service. The service is offered as a stand alone product.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 22
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by Administrator (Administrator)
Accepted by ATTLiz
‎06-14-2018 7:57 AM

There are no ATT bundles that include DirecTV Now, so the internet service and DirecTV Now service would be unconnected and would be priced separately (and phone wouldn't be needed).  DTV and DTVN are really independent services (despite the branding), so there is no specific way to "switch" - just cancel one and subscribe to the other.  If you are still under contract for DTV, switching to DTVN doesn't fulfill the contract - you would have to contact DTV Customer Service  to see if they would work with you to avoid an early termination penalty.

With regard to cost - the directvnow.com site contains info on the service (as does the Help Center).  To just to find info on the packages (channels and cost) you can use the comparison chart here.  All subscribers get on-demand (of some level) for all of the major broadcast networks - live (linear) streams is another matter.  Most areas have less complete supplied local stations (and RSNs) than satellite - some areas have few or no local stations.  To find what is present in any particular area, use the local lookup tool.  (As the package chart shows, the locals available in any given location come with any package, but RSNs are only available with the Just Right  package and above.)  The only add-ons available are the premium channels (HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, and Starz).  Each of those "groups" include fewer of the linear channels than you would get with the equivalent premium under DTV - for example, the HBO add-on gives you only HBO East, HBO Family, and HBO Latino, plus on-demand of HBO content through DTVN's own library and through access to the HBO Go app.  The HBO add-on is $5/month, as is the Cinemax one.  The Showtime and Starz add-ons are $8/month each.

The service comes standard with support for 2 simultaneous streams - that is, you can watch using the DTVN app or website on 2 devices (of any supported type) at once.  (Use of third-party apps - "Go" or "Anywhere" apps - doesn't impact that count, nor does recording shows, though playing recordings back does.)  You can add a third stream for $5/month.  The service's (cloud) DVR comes right now with 20 hours of storage space, with items retained for up to 30 days.  They will be offering option(s) for more space (and probably retention) but the details haven't been officially released yet.

All of this is contract free, so you can make changes (upgrades or downgrades) at any time - I believe all upgrades happen immediately (and the cost is prorated) while downgrades apply when the current subscription term (month) ends and the subscription renews.  The service is autopay only (you need to supply them with a payment method that they directly charge each month) and is prepaid (monthly) with no refunds.  I believe the only time you need pay for multiple months in advance is for some new subscriber device promos (free device in exchange for a multi-month prepaid subscription)

There are no additional fees except for state specific taxes - in some states that is 0, in others it can be non-trivial (where I am, it's about 12%).

The service - like most things over the internet - doesn't work perfectly, and some users encounter severe problems, while others have very few issues.  Many recommend that you try the service first with the available free trial (7 days) to see how well it works for you before you get a paid subscription.  Even if you don't have the TV device(s) that you would plan on using after the trial, you likely have some supported devices - that isn't as good a test, but it is something.  The list of supported devices is here.  The trial doesn't just expire - if not explicitly cancelled, it will automatically switch to a paid subscription when it ends.  If you want to use a trial, and then take advantage of a promo when you sign up for "real", it is recommended that you use a different email address (for example, a "throw away" address for the trial) and then be sure you cancel the trial (because of the details of cancelling - here - it is probably safest to cancel the day before the trial ends).

Hope some of that helped...

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 22
Contributor

I guess I don't pay attention but why Direct tv now?   Also, I'm trying to find the section to downgrade my subscription on Directv and can't.  The site has changed and I haven't logged in in perhaps 2 or more years to look at anything.  

Message 4 of 22
ACE - Master

You are posting to a DirecTV Now forum (on a DirecTV Now thread), which is why it is about DirecTV Now - and why no one here will help you with a DirecTV problem.  Post to a DirecTV forum and perhaps you can get assistance. 

(If you are asking why someone would switch from DirecTV to DirecTV Now - it is probably because it is a lot cheaper for a service that offers much of what the other service offers - for example, I pay about 25-35% of what a similar DirecTV package would cost a month, and get 60-80% of the service.  This is a tradeoff I'm happy to make...)

Message 5 of 22
Contributor

what do I have to do to switch to directv now

Message 6 of 22
ACE - Master

See the solution in this thread.

But be aware that if you have an unfulfilled contract with DirecTV (satellite) switching to DTVN will not get you out of it. You will still need to fulfill your contract or pay a cancellation fee.

Message 7 of 22
Tutor

I currently am a DTV subscriber with 9 months on my contract. DTV will charge me $20/mo. to cancel service and switch to DTVN. They will not budge on the service cancellation fees as already stated, but DTV will add the $20/mo. fee to whatever DTVN package I select for the 9 months remaining on my DTV contract. Based on that I would still save approx. $42/mo. If I decide to pay-off DTV contract right away I will save $60/mo. and pay-off in 3 months. Do the math for your own situation. Now all I have to do is get the Amazon TV Firesticks($40 ea.) for my 2 TV's, plus an HDMI to YPBPR Component adaptor($19) for the older TV. Cutting the cable soon as I get my ducks in a row.

Hec

Message 8 of 22
ACE - Master

If DirecTV will add their fee to your DirecTV Now charge it sort of puts the lie to their being two completely different companies. :-)

DirecTV Now has enough to do without having to do billing for DirecTV. :-)

Message 9 of 22
Tutor

Yeah Prof, you're correct. I'm just not going to fight it and pony up for my contractual obligation to DTV.

Message 10 of 22
ACE - Master

Part of the pain we've all been through much of this year with logins is apparently related to ATT trying to merge their authentication and accounting systems across the different divisions.  There has never been the claim that DTV and DTVN were different companies, just different divisions of the same company.  But as different divisions, there is still probably close to complete separation - different Support, different management structure, etc.  (I'm guessing taking your Chevy to a Buick dealer for warranty work won't go very far.  Nor will bringing your Samsung phone with issues into a place that sells Samsung washers...)   Being able to tack charges onto another division's bill on a common account is probably a more reasonable thing, though it still seems a bit odd, since the DTVN account isn't locked in (no contract).

@HectorB - a somewhat less expensive alternative to getting a Fire Stick and a digital to analog converter would be to get a Roku Express+, which is the only current (DTVN supported) streaming device with analog out.  However, I think it is limited to composite rather than component, so may not provide you as good a picture.

Message 11 of 22
ACE - Master

A bit OT, but any General Motors dealer will be happy to service any model of GM vehicle. I take my GMC truck to our local Chevy dealer all the time. :-)

I do wonder how DirecTV would even know if you had subscribed to DTVN, unless you told them.

Message 12 of 22
ACE - Master

Most service departments will work on anything for money.  But Chevy will do warranty work on a GMC truck? I find that surprising (though not in a bad way). 

In any case, if you have a merged account for those services, then they are visible (at least I think they are) to an ATT rep pulling up the overall account.  (If I log into my ATT account these days - either at att.com or using the MyAT&T app - it shows my wireless, internet, DTVN, and a legacy account.  I assume if I had DTV, that would show there too.)

Message 13 of 22
Tutor

@                             

The Roku Express + looks like it will fit the situation better than getting a converter. Thanks for the tip

Hec

Message 14 of 22
ACE - Expert

It will work but I feel you will be very disappointed with the performance of the device. Very slow and low-powered unit. I have 2 and have swapped them out due to the performance. They are now only for backups.

Message 15 of 22
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support