Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Pause "overlay" won't go away

Teacher

Pause "overlay" won't go away

When sreaming AT&T TV / AT&T TV NOW (using the Android app) on my Samsung Galaxy 8+ (SM-G955U) running Oreo (8.0.0), the "overlay" that initially appears (that has the pause symbol in the center - see picture below) no longer goes away after a few seconds. It stays on the screen permanently and obscures (dims) viewing of the program. It used to go away after a 10 seconds or so, but now, no matter what I do, it won't go away. i have tried removing and reinstalling latest version of app, restarting phone, changing numerous phone settings, etc.  but nothing makes any difference. Any thoughts?Screenshot_20180907-104219_DIRECTV NOW.jpg

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 62
Tutor

Re: Pause "overlay" won't go away

Thank you, turning off Norton fixed it both on my Samsung Tablet and Note 5...... Thank you. 

Message 46 of 62
Mentor

I turned off Settings->Accessibility McAfee and it works too.

Message 47 of 62
Teacher

Hopefully, DIRECTV NOW will publish an update very soon! The solutions identified in this topic (thread) involve either:

1. Rolling back to an earlier version of the app with other, less serious, bugs.

2. Turning off your phone's antivirus protection.

or

3. Tweaking the app's operation by setting closed captioning in portrait mode, then switching to landscape mode and turning cc off (a process that doesn't work with most tablets).

None of these workarounds are acceptable!!!

Message 48 of 62
Tutor

So thankfully from all the previous posts I have figured out what apps are causing this bug to rear it's head.  And they have one thing in common, and that's screen content monitoring . Not just antivirus.  In my case I use LastPass to auto fill credentials input boxes.  This obviously requires a screen hook to monitor inputs and control outputs.  I disabled this in accessibility and the problem goes away.  So for temporary measure look for any program in accessibility that might be doing the same and disable it and the problem will go away.  Tested on 2 devices and this fixes the issue.  Though not the best solution but a work around until they fix the app itself.

Message 49 of 62
Tutor

Can bronskrat update his answer to include to navigate to accessibikity->settings and disable anything that might be doing screen content monitoring .So far it looks like anything antivirus or password fillers but I am sure there are others.

Message 50 of 62
Teacher

In my case, I must disable accessibility for "KeeperFill" and "Norton Security Service" to suppress the bug. Both of these apps are far more important to me than DirecTV Now, so I think that I will just stay with the cumbersome "closed caption" solution for now. Nevertheless, thanks for your insight. Kudos to you.

Message 51 of 62
Contributor

This is why I cancelled them last night and got a refund. This is the third time I have tried this service and have cancelled each time for some buggy half baked roll out. The rep kept insisting it would be fixed within 24 hours....hmm this is been going on for weeks. Not going to believe this company anymore.

Message 52 of 62
Tutor

I put up a video to demo the solution!

I have the phone in portrait mode and then simply touch the "..." 3 dot menu in the top right.

With the menu overlay up, I then rotate the screen to landscape and just touch the screen to clear the menu overlay

See Video below::

https://youtu.be/H-2xdLelan8

https://forums.att.com/t5/Watching-DIRECTV-NOW/Pause-quot-overlay-quot-won-t-go-away/m-p/5643954#M24...

Message 53 of 62
Contributor

Turn the phone horizontal and tap the three dots in the upper right hand corner when you get the empty information box touch it, hit the checkmark to clear it then turn the phone back to vertical and then to horizontal again and tap the screen somewhere.

Works on my Moto G5 Plus

Message 54 of 62
Contributor

no it doesn't work on S8.

Message 55 of 62
Contributor

downgraded to version 2.0.12.01538 using Aptoide , issue resolved

Message 56 of 62
Contributor

Have a pixel XL with android version 9. Have the same problem with the overlay not disappearing. Please resolve ASAP.

Message 57 of 62
Contributor

3 weeks and counting, problem still remains are you kidding me directv. its obvious to me now that you dont *** about your customers so canceling service now. there's never been a problem taking my money though.

[Inappropriate content removed]

Message 58 of 62
ACE - Expert

Continue to report the issue to support using the chat. Your efforts through this user forum will get no where since support does not monitor this forum.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 59 of 62

While this is an appreciated workaround, it doesn't qualify as a solution.

Message 60 of 62
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support