Explore & discover

Helpful Links

PBS channel not available on Directv Now

Highlighted

PBS channel not available on Directv Now

Does anyone know when the PBS channel will offered in the local channel lineup on Directv Now?  It's available on the Directv Satellite platform but not on Now.  If the licensing issue for the Satellite version has been settled, why not with the Now version?  Any possible date in the future?

Message 1 of 14
ACE - Expert

Re: PBS channel not available on Directv Now

DirecTV Now and DirecTV are 2 separate services. Just because 1 service has a channel does not mean the other will. Chances are very low that PBS will ever be available via streaming. None of the other streaming services have PBS either. You can watch a lot of content using the PBS app.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 14

Thanks for the reply.  Does Centurylink Prism service considered a streaming service because the local PBS station is in the channel lineup and works well?

Message 3 of 14
ACE - Expert

Nope. Cable. At one time they were considering to offer a steaming service but they pulled the plug. They may have a streaming service - Hard to keep up with the alternatives. Have you looked into the PBS app? They have a lot of free content available and I think you cam join the service for a nominal fee/donation.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 14
ACE - Expert

The reasons for PBS’s absence are complicated, but it comes down to this: Unlike CBS and the other broadcast networks, PBS hasn’t acquired the on-demand streaming rights for all of its shows.

Message 5 of 14

Thanks again for the reply, I understand that PBS doesn't control the rights to all of its shows, it just seems odd that they can't overcome that obstacle in today's streaming world.  Fortunately, there is an alternative new option from Amazon:  Firetv recast, a DVR for recording ota programs.

Message 6 of 14
ACE - Expert

Use it if it fits your needs. Good luck.

Message 7 of 14
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by pikespeakbob
‎10-04-2018 9:52 AM

The PBS app is available for free and offers quite a bit of programming, if you want access to it all they want you to become a supporter.

Perhaps not as convenient as having it on DTVN, but it is available.

Tags (1)
Message 8 of 14
Teacher

There a few local PBS channel shows that I don't see on PBS app, even though I am a Passport subscriber.  I sent them an email asking why.

Message 9 of 14
Contributor

Did you get and answer?

Message 10 of 14
Teacher

Yes.  They acknowledged that this is an open issue.  Here's a recent hopeful article:  https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/pbs-is-the-last-major-cord-cutting-hold-out-but-that-may-be-about-to...

I use the PBS app (with paid the $5/mth Passport fee) and have signed up for their email newsletter, plus the newsletter I get from my local station WTTW. So info is flowing to me about what is coming up. Then I go and search PBS app to see if they are hosting the program.  Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  Certainly less convenient than if it were integrated with DTVN.

Message 11 of 14
Scholar

I noticed recently that my local cable company seems to be transitioning away from traditional cable.  Probably so they don't have to own and maintain DVRs, etc.  It supports PBS, though maybe PBS isn't watchable away from home.  The fine print indicates some channels may not be streamable elsewhere.  Also, they have started Fiber internet in some areas, which doesn't carry traditional cable TV.

Their prices are higher than DTVNow, even compared to what DTVNow charges before my discount.  But they have locals.

I don't plan to try them at this point.  Their previous DVR/TV Package didn't matchup well with the bigger services like DirecTV and Dish.  So I don't know that their current systems match up either.

Message 12 of 14
Mentor

I, too, have a problem with PBS not being offered on DTVN. My biggest problem with the PBS app is that it doesn't stream PBS Newshour live, with or without Passport. There's no point in watching the news a day later.

I find it hard to believe that a bunch of suits with MBAs can't figure out the rights issue(s) and get this problem resolved, especially since it seems to affect all streaming services. If PBS is looking for viewers, it needs to follow the tide over to streaming services which are quickly becoming the mainstream way to distribute television programming.

Message 13 of 14
ACE - Expert

It.s just not DTVN, none of the streaming services offer PBS. So its the app or nothing at this point. There has been some articles that PBS may be offered to the services in the future. You can ready about here/

Message 14 of 14
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support