Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Not working on Roku

Teacher

Not working on Roku

Signed up for Direct TV Now account. Downloaded Direct TV Now app to brand new Roku Ultra, model 4660. Clicked on Direct TV Now app, after 5 to 10 seconds, the screen goes back to Roku home screen. Never saw anything, no PIN or account info to enter, nothing. Rebooted Roku, uninstalled Direct TV Now app, reinstalled, spoke to Roku tech support, nothing. Wrote Direct TV Now chat, they have no idea. Measured my wifi speed at 133 Mbps. All other apps, other than Direct TV Now, work great.

Wanted to give Direct TV Now a try, but does not work on my equipment, all of which is top of the line 4k and brand new.

Message 1 of 28
Guru

Re: Not working on Roku

@rdm3005 

The solution I posted months ago fixed the op's problem. I found the solution by simply searching Google and found others were having the same problem if the device was not set to English.

There have been other problems crop up since then including not being able to accept the end user agreement. The solution I posted has nothing to do with anything else other than the op's problem and I would not expect it to help with anything else.

Message 16 of 28
Contributor

I went through ALL the roku settings and all were set to english. All
information displayed was in english also. Plus all other apps on rokun
work fine. Not a solution to this issue.
Message 17 of 28
Contributor

This is exactly my issue with the direct tv now app it stops at the end terms agreement! It’s so stupid have u found a solution yet I just got my roku two days ago!!!

Message 18 of 28
Teacher

I am the original poster of this thread. It was suggested to me in this thread that the language setting could be the cause. And it was for me. The only thing I changed was to set my Roku from French to English and the app worked immediately after that. I am sorry if that solution does not work for other users (who had their system set to English to begin with), but it does not surprise me. While this (the language change) allowed me to use the DTVN app on the Roku, I can say after now nearly 6 month of testing the DTVN service, that the DTVN service is very poor, there are many glitches with the app. I made a complete list of all the glitches that I encountered so far and most of them can be reliably reproduced every day. I found workarounds for some of the glitches. I have emailed their support about it, but they do not do anything about it. This 'service' has virtually no support, there is no customer service phone number at all (unlike all other competitors), they only have a chat, which is manned by people in a 3rd world country, who have not once given any useful advice. If DTVN actually cared, than users (me included) would be glad to send detailed reports of these glitches, so that they could fix them. Many of these are very likely minor software fixes,  but they simply do not care. They just mass sell the product and leave it as is, no quality.

Why am I still using the service then? They have more channels that I care about (there are only 6, I care about), but other providers have less. the picture quality is also great when it works. So, they have the important things right, yet all these glitches they will not fix, which is annoying. They also promised a DVR that holds more than 20 hours for many months, with no progress on that. 20 hours is basically useless. Any old cable provider has DVR's with 10 times that storage and I would gladly pay extra for more storage.

Message 19 of 28
Contributor

No solution yet. I did a live chat with directv now support but they just
said it was a problem and they were working on it. I have been using my
roku with lots of other apps and they all work fine.
Message 20 of 28
Voyager

I also been having the same issue  it just sits at the agreement screen and been getting the same run around from Direct TV Now chat  I have updated everything on our new roku smart tv  and reboot ect ect  still not working I am going to cancel this not very happy

Message 21 of 28
Tutor

Yup.  My app is stopping at the agreement screen.  I have a tech case open with Roku this morning and I'm waiting to hear back.  I have a feeling they're going to redirect me to DirecTV now tech support.

Message 22 of 28
ACE - Expert

The work around is to install the beta version until a fix is offered bt DTVN.

https://my.roku.com/account/add?channel=2Q5MG6X

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 23 of 28
ACE - Master

This thread is an example of why idle threads need to be locked.  The OP posted a problem 5 months ago, and a solution to that problem was posted by someone within days.  The thread was then silent for months, until a few days ago someone posted a completely different problem to it, and people then complained that the solution that had been posted earlier, for the earlier problem, didn't fix this problem.  No - because it is a different problem.  Perhaps the person who wanted to raise the issue of the agreement lockup could have read the original post in this thread and seen that it had nothing to do with the problem they were encountering, and started a new thread?  Reusing a thread like this does nothing except make life harder for everyone - it creates confusion, it makes it harder to find if the same problem had already been posted (and perhaps solved), and it leads to a lot of (sometimes nasty) back and forth over whether the problem is fixed or not.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 24 of 28
Tutor

Thank you! Works!
Message 25 of 28
Contributor

I've had DirectNow for over a year. Worked fine. Now, the screen comes up but sets there till it times out!  Is there a fix? It's been a week now. 

Message 26 of 28
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Why not try and reinstall the app. A week? 

Message 27 of 28
ACE - Master

Even if you are set to a non-English language most of the channels on DTVN will still be in English, so you might not notice.

It only becomes an issue with material that has more than one language option, like perhaps the agreement page?

Message 28 of 28
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support