Explore & discover

Helpful Links

NO LOCAL CHANNELS

Mentor

NO LOCAL CHANNELS

Hello. New subscriber. No local channels, big 4. All other channels work fine. I've been on chat support last 24 hours, told me last night it was glitch, get up this AM same issue no local channels. Now they are saying 2 days to resolve? I did receive credit, do appreciate that but.......

Guy called me, reset modem twice, said it "should" resolve (terrrible word to use in support) . Can anyone tell me what's really happening? I started subcription on 2/3 and lost my local channels yesterday. Up until then it was awesome! Please any help appreciated. 

Message 1 of 83
ACE - Professor

Re: NO LOCAL CHANNELS

What device are you using? Have you tried checking to see if you still receive local channels on a mobile device (smartphone, tablet)? If you still receive your local channels on your mobile device, the likely problem is that your internet service provider changed your IP address to a location just outside of your zip code. Mobile devices use your GPS, streaming devices use your IP address. This has been an issue since DTVN (and I believe all streaming services) started. I'm not sure if a solution has been found. You could try calling your internet service provider and explaining the situation to them. Check your IP location here: https://www.iplocation.net

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 83
ACE - Expert

Local channels is one of the most reported issues. Reasons and possible solutions have been posted all over this forum. They may or may not assist you. Search for "local channels" in this forum. What ever we may say here is posted in those threads also. There is no one answer for the issue more then what we may suggest.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 83
Mentor

Hello thank you for response. Yes on my cell phone they all work!

What's not working is my roku box on tv. roku box and cell phone both connect wifi same netgear router. both on same network. I just restarted roku box, no local channels. 

I used that region link it's coming back to correct location?

P Address Country Region City

216.16.22.255United States MinnesotaMarshall

Ok so at this point app on droid works fine, chrome app lists the locals but can't access them, on TV don't see locals at all. Thanks for helping!

Message 4 of 83
Mentor

Ok so this is a known common issue? This is frequent? I do have a VPN on PC and phone, all that happens when it runs is I get stations out of the VPN IP service area, no biggy, just turn it off to get local, but now to get none. Hmmmmm. Makes me wonder if I should have stayed with cable, it worked great, just sick of dealing with the escalations. 

Message 5 of 83
ACE - Expert

VPN's are not supported and may be a issue also. Try disabling and see what happens. By hiding your location they will not be able to properly provide the locals.

Message 6 of 83
Mentor

Yes I know VPN do that, but it was a non-issue, I just turned it off and all was fine. My roku TV has no VPN and it doesn't work either. Even with VPN on the big four locals would broadcast out of the area the VPN was from, still worked. So what gives now droid app works great all other don't sigh. 

Is this the new normal if I continue to subscribe? 

Message 7 of 83
ACE - Expert

Possibly. Seems to happen the more rural you are. Remmeber DTVN is not really doing this. They receive their information from geolocation vendors and distribute based on what they receive. Geolocation is not highly reliable. The best solution is a device with GPS. Unfortunately they do not have GPS with the exception of Apple devices. They keep up with cell towers and WifI locations used and store into a database. When you use the device it checks the database for location. 

Message 8 of 83
Mentor

Yes for all troubleshooting VPN is off. Not needed for TV.   

I went to that website found this:

Geolocation data from DB-IP (Product: Full, 2019-2-1)

IP Address Country Region City

216.16.22.255United States MissouriSikeston

I am not from Missouri. Is this why it's not working? See's this location and mine do not match? 

Message 9 of 83
ACE - Expert

Probably. Seems your ISP has your node defined at a location that is not local. This is very common and prior to streaming most never knew this because it caused no issues. With the FCC requirements protecting local market viewing its becoming a issue. You could try to contact your ISP and see if they can move it. They do this all the rime as subscribers move and others add to free gateway servers.

Message 10 of 83
Mentor

Funny you said that had to call my ISP anyway to get a credit reversed, and I did bring up the fact I'm having problems with local channels and my IP traces back to MO. She put in a ticket to make sure I have a correct IP assignment. 24 to 48 hour response.

Anyone else have VAST ISP with this issue? 

Another question: why does my IP trace to multiple locations on that ip inquiry page? It does show my correct location MN as well as that MO location. 

Message 11 of 83
ACE - Expert

Unfortunately, we have no idea who they use if any of these. And they may be inaccurate also. The real person who knows is your ISP. Would be nice if they used the billing address. But as you can see, subscribers could use VPN's to get what locals they want and live where ever they want (even overseas). It all about the FCC requirement to protect local markets from being penetrated by larger networks.

Message 12 of 83
ACE - Expert

You could try and contact support using the chat and complain. They have in the past for some requested up dates from the geolocation vendor they use. I have heard it might take 10-14 days..... and they may come back with the same data...who knows. You best assurance is a streaming device with GPS (none exist) or an Apple device. Either way its not perfect. Any chance of an antenna? Then you have them with any of the services that you chose.

Message 13 of 83
Mentor

Thank you for all your responses. I think it's safe to say it's my IP. Droid app still works fine, as you said it used cell phone locations services therefore it's allowing locals. Direttv now blocking my locals (due to contracts with FCC) on roku box and pc due to conflicting IP location. Makes sense. Let you know what ISP take is. The rep did say no infrastructure change recently on ISP side. Thanks all. 

Message 14 of 83
ACE - Expert

Since you had them I would assume its just an miss-identification. To me if you get them on you mobile device you should receive them. That's just the unreliability of using geolocation identification.

Message 15 of 83
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support