Explore & discover

Helpful Links

NBC on Apple TV

Mentor

NBC on Apple TV

Will NBC be a regular channel on the Apple TV platform, or will it just be on the phones and tablets? I don't understand why I can't watch it like Fox in the Apple TV. I have to airplay it if I want to watch it on the big screen which is annoying.

Message 1 of 14
ACE - Sage

Re: NBC on Apple TV

NBC was just added as a secondary sign in a couple days ago.  You should try it and see if it works.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 14
Mentor

Thanks for the quick reply glad to see it will be available on the apple tv, now we just need DVR services and more local channels added.

Message 3 of 14
ACE - Sage

Lol.   Give ya an inch?   

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 14
Scholar

I just activated and signed on to the NBC app on my Apple TV with my DirecTV Now credentials.

Message 5 of 14
Scholar

This question had nothing to do with the app. This is about live NBC on Apple TV. When will this happen. 

Message 6 of 14
ACE - Master

NBC (live) being unavailable on ATV is a day 1 stated restriction (or as they say "NBC local channels are available on mobile, desktop and Amazon Fire TV devices only."), implying also not on Chromecast.  Since I can't think of a technical reason for that limitation (not to say there might not be one, but I'd think that would be considered a bug rather than a documented restriction), that seems to suggest some sort of licensing-based restriction against "TV" usage except via Amazon devices.  There are precedents for such (like some sporting events being limited to certain platforms), but I can't think of why for NBC, and I see no indication that a similar restriction exists for NBC on PS Vue related to ATV.   But if it is a licensing issue (of some unknown type/reason), then there's no way to guess if or when it will be resolved.

Message 7 of 14
Teacher
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by SkiTheGreat
‎03-17-2017 4:00 PM

Latest Directvnow Update includes NBC (live) as a channel on the Apple TV. No more having to airplay! 

Tags (1)
Message 8 of 14
Mentor

I can confirm that I can watch NBC live stream on my Apple TV. Now if we can get ABC going and DVR service I can be a very happy customer, not 100% since we don't have CBS on board yet but 95%

Message 9 of 14
Contributor

How do I activate NBC on the Apple TV? Is it from the phone?
Message 10 of 14
ACE - Master

Are you trying to get NBC live on the DTVN app, get NBC on-demand on the DTVN app, or use the NBC app?  For the first 2, it's just there - no activation.

NBC live (if you get it) will just show up as a channel in the DTVN guide.  For me it shows as "NBC", but I think there have been reports of local channels showing up as their station id (Wxyz).

For on-demand in the DTVN app, NBC shows up as a network in the network listing, and NBC shows are in the list, same as any other shows.

For the NBC app - you do need to activate, but you do it (or at least start it) on the ATV itself.  The process is roughly the same as for any of the other "TV Anywhere" type apps.  Once you have the app loaded and running on the ATV, go to the settings and select "sign in".  It will as you to select the provider - do not pick DirecTV.  Instead, scroll to find the button for "additional providers" (or something like that) and select it - it will bring up a big alphabetized list.  In that, find and select DirecTV Now.  That will give you an activation key that you need to enter on the nbc.com/appletv web page (on a computer or other device).  That will bring up (another Smiley Happy) list of providers - again, don't select DirecTV, but look for the "additional providers" list and select DirecTV Now there.  That will take you to a DTVN page where you can enter your DTVN login credentials, and after those are accepted, you are good to go.  Sounds like a pain, and is apparently the reason that some people want Apple Single Signon for DTVN, but so far I've only needed to do it once per app, so tolerable for me...

Hope this helps...

Message 11 of 14
Contributor

My remote for my Apple TV 4th generation is not working. What can I do to fix this. I’ve already tried unplugging the Apple TV and replugging it in and charging the remote. 

Message 12 of 14
Professor

this would be a question to ask Apple or wherever you bought the apple tv from. if it was part of the free apple tv giveaway from directv now, then you could try talking to a chat agent here, but i'm not sure how much help they will be.

Message 13 of 14

Is it better to activate NBC app in the Apple tv platform space with credentials or going through DTVN using DTVN credentials?  I ended up going through DTVN method and am wondering if there is any difference as in "less commercials" especially.  Started watching The Event and could not believe the number of commercials between show segments and the short duration of the segment before commercials came on again.  It's almost unwatchable.

Message 14 of 14
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support