Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Loss of local channels

Contributor

Loss of local channels

Three days ago our local ABC NBC and CBS affiliate stations began showing broadcasts from Orlando and we are located in the Fort Myers region. we have tried to contact direct now and troubleshoot online but have found no solution to this. We’ve been told to check our incoming IP address and credit card billing ZIP Code and  a number of other suggestions but nothing we have tried has worked and we have had no response from DIRECTV NOW.

has anyone experienced this and have a fix.  With such low level of customer service we are ready to change providers.

Message 1 of 7
ACE - Master

Re: Loss of local channels

The problem is almost certainly that you are using streaming devices that don’t have any “self-location” features. (The only TV streamer that does is Apple TV.) In those cases DIRECTV NOW is limited to using what is called IP geolocation to locate your device – which is trying to use your device’s IP address to find it. That unfortunately is a less than completely reliable process. What likely happened is that your ISP changed your device’s IP address (which they will do sometimes) and the location that is being reported for that address is that of the previous holder of the address.  You can check if this is the case by running the app on a smartphone and seeing if it’s showing the correct channels – since the phone has GPS and other features built in, it will almost always report the correct location.

If this is the case, you can hope that over some period of time a more correct location will be reported - that often happens.  There isn’t much that can be done explicitly - for a variety of reasons, it can’t just be “fixed”.  You can try contacting DIRECTV NOW Support and asking that they report your correct address to the geolocation provider. They may do this, and it may help, but there are no guarantees.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 7
ACE - Master

I did a trial of Hulu, and they geolocated me 300 miles away (in spite of the fact I was using an ATV), so I got no locals.

I called them (they have a phone) and a nice lady said "Oh, it's a geolocation error, I'll fix it".

And she did, the proper locals appeared while I was still on the line. Total time: about 3 minutes.

So such errors can be fixed easily, if you want to.

There are potential problems, how do you know if a caller is telling you the truth about where they are? In my case I phoned them from a landline that is listed to the same address as my CC billing, so I guess they believed me.

I'd guess DTVN's first line chat reps aren't authorized to put through corrections with their geolo vendor, it would have to get kicked up somewhere, and would take much longer than having the rep put it through as Hulu apparently does.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 7
ACE - Master

I wonder how Hulu does it - if they can just make changes, it seems that it would make using a geolocation service irrelevant. 

Message 4 of 7
ACE - Master

I guess it would depend on how common geolo errors are. If you are going to rely on geolo you must be aware that's it's not 100% accurate, so you need to implement some system to correct the inevitable errors.

It was interesting that Hulu does not even try to use the Apple location services, they apparently use geolo for everything and depend on their ability to quickly correct any errors.

Nobody posts here to say they were geolocated perfectly, so we just don't know how common these issues are.

It's almost certain that not only are some people not getting their correct locals, but some subscribers are getting the wrong locals and are OK with that. I would expect the networks to squawk, they might not care if you get the correct station, but they care a lot of someone imports a foreign station into another market.

Message 5 of 7
ACE - Master

If they know about it. But no one would unless the customer says something to them. 

I’m still at a bit of a loss. I assume the carriers use (outside) geo companies because their content licenses with the broadcast networks (and/or local stations) require them to use an “independent” method to determine location - either a reliable location from the device or a location determined by an approved third party.  If the carrier can just change the reported location on their own (and the customer’s) say so, it seems to remove the “third-party-ness”, at which point the carriers would seem to be able to just use a customer-supplied location and save the money they spend on the geo companies.  

Message 6 of 7
ACE - Master

That's why I suspect Hulu needs something more than just a customer say so to change a geolo result.

They could use several methods to try and confirm a report of an incorrect location. Billing address certainly, but calling from a landline phone listed to the address you are claiming to be at would probably go a long way.

Confirming what area your ISP serves would also help. If my ISP doesn't even serve the area I claim to be in that would be a red flag.

I suspect the ultimate answer is simply that all streaming devices will be required to have location services, but it will be a while before that happens.

Message 7 of 7
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support