Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Loss of local channels

Mentor

Loss of local channels

I talked to a supervisor who said he was going to escalate my inquiry to see why i lost my local channels, but shortly after he said that, the line was disconnected. As part of the new update to AT&T TV NOW I have lost the ability to watch my local channels on my work computer. My work computer is located in a 48197 zip code and tied to a work ethernet connection. My home location is a 48186 zip code, which is 30 minutes down the road. Before this major AT&T TV NOW update, I was able to watch my local channels from my work computer. Effective today, with this update, FOX and CBS are not even listed on the channel guide, and ABC and NBC say the following when I click on " Program Not Available on this channel in your current location." So, initially AT&T staff was trying to tell me the zip code of my IP address didn't match where I currently was, and that is why. However that is crap because EVERY DAY for the 2 months I have been  subscriber, I have  been able to access my local channels on this same exact work computer. I have also been able to access from other independent locations, such as the gym. Now, magically today, in correlation with this update I can not. Further proof the theory they are giving me is garbage: I HAVE NOT yet updated the AT&T TV NOW IPHONE app in dear of losing my local channels. So, i open the OLD app on my iPhone, which is on the SAME INTERNET CONNECTION as my work computer, and I CANNNNN watch all my local channels. Oh, need more proof this is a glitch as part of their new service? If I go to the OLD AT&T TV NOW website, which has the OLD GUIDE and OLD SERVICE, I can watch my local channels from my work computer. So basically, I just want someone from ATT to actually acknowledge this is a screw up and fix this immediately. Unfortunately, it just seems they are in their own world of crappy service right now and have no desire to help. 

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 303
Contributor

Re: Loss of local channels

They list this as solved and its not!!!  I have the same issue, but in reverse.  At home my computers won't show any of my local channels, as if they don't exist.  When I use my Roku or Fire Stick, they are fine (other than they had location issues, thinking i was in California, when I'm in Chicago, but this was fixed.) Now during prime time, local channels now block me out from that content (FUN!!).   So I thought maybe the local channels issue on my computer would should up on all computers.  Nope, I am able to get local channels on my work computer, but not on my home computers, where I am registered.  What the???  All i get from tech service is "can you restart your router?"  "can you restart your computer?" and "can you delete your cookies?"  "oh that didn't work? We'll have to escalate this.....".  And NOTHING happens.

Message 241 of 303
Mentor

You can disable ipv6 on your computer and this will fix the problem.

Message 242 of 303
Mentor

Disabling ipv6 doesn't work for everyone. Trust me. I've tried it. 

On my devices, it shows me 2 sets of local channels. I'm in western KY. One set of local channels are coming out of Paducah, KY which are my local channels, and the other set is coming out of Nashville, TN. I try to tune to the Paducah ones and it says they can't be streamed on these devices. I can watch the ones coming out of Nashville though. What I found that's odd is that occasionally, I'll record something like the local news off say NBC, Fox, or CBS from Nashville, and when I go to play it back, it's the local news out of Paducah, KY.

So while I can't watch my actual local channels out of Paducah live, I can watch it if I record the shows first and play it back.

Message 243 of 303
Tutor

I used an IP tracker and it found my correct location near West Palm beach. But when I run a comcast speed test, it says my host is Miami, which corresponds to the local stations that I get live.  DTVN must be using the host for live local stations and the IP address for when it records.  They need to figure this out.

Message 244 of 303
Teacher

My issue wasn’t getting another areas local it was not getting ABC, NBC, CBS or FOX at all!!
Message 245 of 303
Contributor

I am dealing with the same problem.  For 5 years I have had the local programing I needed and wanted.  Locals came out of Sherman, Texas (20 miles away).  Recently I upgraded to a wireless Geni and after the technician was here, installed and I guess updated my DVR I now get locals from Dallas, Texas (100 miles away).  This is frustrating when weather turn severe in our area.  The local programing (Sherman) is way more accurate and covers the small towns we live in.  the Dallas programing however hardly covers us up here.  I travel, I have a wife and 2 girls still living at home.  The local weather is so much more important to us.  To me it is a major screw up and to protect what? Advertising? Money?  After hours upon hours on the phone with over seas call center people that don't have a clue what a county or zip code is or a Tornado I am left felling let down.  To make things even worse, my mother lives 1200' away from us, same road, same zip code, same county and gets the programing I want.  They say its a FCC rule, then why doesn't it happy to everyone.

Message 246 of 303
ACE - Expert

Sounds like you have DirecTV. This forum is for the internet streaming service DirecTV Now. You need to be posting in the satellite tv forum.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 247 of 303

I had ATT streaming internet service. Its no longer a problem. I canceled it and never looked back.

##- yPlease type your reply above this line -##
Message 248 of 303
Tutor

We signed up for DirecTV Now about a month ago using the ROKU Streaming Stick on our Smart TV's. Suddenly last night (2/27/19) I turned on the TV to watch our local news (Columbus, OH). For whatever reason I am getting the local channels out of Cleveland, OH. I've tried everything from resetting the router to resetting my DTN account and my stick. After reinstalling my DTN app on my ROKU and logging back in it still is giving me channels from Cleveland. In the chat, Mary, said that her team is working on the problem and I should start to receive my local channels soon. It's been over an hour and I'm still waiting.

Message 249 of 303
Mentor

lol Don't expect anything to happen. I have never had anyone from these
so called "Escalations" actually do anything.

Good luck
Message 250 of 303
Tutor

I went online to the DirecTV Now site to chat with them again and gave them
the reference number from the earlier chat session. Agent Mary from the
first chat told me that if the corrective actions didn't fix the problem to
come back to the chat and mention the ref. no. When I went to the chat and
was finally able to get past the virtual assistant, I gave him the number.
After a few minutes he asked for a contact phone number. A couple of minutes
later, while I'm still chatting, I get a phone call from DirecTV Now and he
walked me through how to get my IP address. He checked it out and then told
me that yesterday they did a system wide software upgrade and customers all
across the nation lost their access to their local channels. Their tech
people are aware of the problem and are working on a repair. He said that it
will be at least 7-8 days before the repair to the software will be done.
Message 251 of 303
Teacher

Stop hoping that your local channels are going to return. They won't.
Months from now you'll still be waiting for them to return. This problem
has afflicted DTVN for almost a year, since they "updated" their software
to allow for recording of selected programs. They'll tell you that you need
to contact your ISP or you need to get a static IP address, etc. Or they'll
say they're aware of the problem and it will soon be fixed. It won't be.
Since merging with AT&T, DirecTV has lost its way and its soul. They simply
don't care whether you have local channels or not. Do NOT give hope a
chance.

Just do what I did: After being frustrated for three months, waiting
for my local channels to return, I switched to YouTube TV. It works
perfectly and you get all your local channels without a hitch. Plus, you
have unlimited recording time of an unlimited number of programs.

David *****
Huntington, WV

[Edited for privacy-This is a public forum. Please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc]

Message 252 of 303
Tutor

I would switch it I could, but YouTube and Hulu don't have the channels my wife and daughter like.

Message 253 of 303
Teacher

Same problem with loss of local channels on my TVs only, tablet and phone are fine.  When I put in my trouble ticket via chat, the rep told me that she needed to correct my zip code.  It has changed.  I read on a different thread that if this is what's happened to you, you need to contact your ISP also and let them know.  Sure enough, the incorrect zip code is where their server is located.  Likely an update within the ISP server caused the change in my zip code.  It appears that Directv Now gets location zip code from your ISP, not from your billing zip.  This might also impact those of you who suddenly began getting locals from a different market.  I'm waiting from a response from my ISP about the zip code change and I'll update you all then if that resolves the problem.  Fingers crossed!

Message 254 of 303
ACE - Expert

Actually, to get a local or regional sports network channel, your billing address must match a local supported market, and your device must be in that location.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 255 of 303
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support