Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Loss of local channels

Mentor

Loss of local channels

I talked to a supervisor who said he was going to escalate my inquiry to see why i lost my local channels, but shortly after he said that, the line was disconnected. As part of the new update to AT&T TV NOW I have lost the ability to watch my local channels on my work computer. My work computer is located in a 48197 zip code and tied to a work ethernet connection. My home location is a 48186 zip code, which is 30 minutes down the road. Before this major AT&T TV NOW update, I was able to watch my local channels from my work computer. Effective today, with this update, FOX and CBS are not even listed on the channel guide, and ABC and NBC say the following when I click on " Program Not Available on this channel in your current location." So, initially AT&T staff was trying to tell me the zip code of my IP address didn't match where I currently was, and that is why. However that is crap because EVERY DAY for the 2 months I have been  subscriber, I have  been able to access my local channels on this same exact work computer. I have also been able to access from other independent locations, such as the gym. Now, magically today, in correlation with this update I can not. Further proof the theory they are giving me is garbage: I HAVE NOT yet updated the AT&T TV NOW IPHONE app in dear of losing my local channels. So, i open the OLD app on my iPhone, which is on the SAME INTERNET CONNECTION as my work computer, and I CANNNNN watch all my local channels. Oh, need more proof this is a glitch as part of their new service? If I go to the OLD AT&T TV NOW website, which has the OLD GUIDE and OLD SERVICE, I can watch my local channels from my work computer. So basically, I just want someone from ATT to actually acknowledge this is a screw up and fix this immediately. Unfortunately, it just seems they are in their own world of crappy service right now and have no desire to help. 

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 303
Tutor

Re: Loss of local channels

Ok, GPS explains why mobile devices get the correct local channels.  Thanks.  Back to square one though. Here are some observations:

1. I live in Palm Beach Gardens, but get Miami local stations about 80 miles south of me.
  2. I checked DTN channel lookup and based on my zip I should be getting West Palm Beach stations.
  3. This problem started for me when I replaced my slow Motorola modem with a high speed Arris modem.
  4. I checked my IP geolocation.  IP2Location found Port St. Lucie 40 miles north of me.  DB-IP and ipinfo.io both found my correct location in Palm Beach Gardens.  
  5. The strangest thing I've noticed is that the DVR records the correct local stations.  I see their commercials and news updates when I watch a recorded show.

Could it be using different geolocations for streaming vs. recording?  Port St. Lucie is in the opposite direction of Miami, but if it doesn't match my account location, it may be defaulting to Miami for some reason. 

Message 271 of 303
ACE - Expert

No that would make no sense. Geolocation is just a poor way to determine location. Unfortunately it's just  very unreliable.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 272 of 303
Tutor

I live in NH. When I checked my local access availability it showed two ABC stations, which it should because they overlap my location. When I got Direct TV running, surprise, no ABC channels. After reading this forum it is clear access depends on my location. I finally figured out what was wrong.

Roku determines my location by determining where my IP address is sourced. I have FIOS provided by Consolidated Communications. I went into my router, got my IP address, and looked it up on Goggle. It was sourced in Keene, NH, the opposite end of the state from me, hence no local ABC coverage. I was able to delete it and request a new one. Took a number of attempts because I was getting IP addresses from all over the state. I finally got an address in Manchester, NH, which has an ABC station and is covered by Boston.

Next step was to remove Direct TV from Roku, reboot Roku, added Direct TV back in, and presto, both station now show up.

My point: If you are not getting the local access you should, find out where your IP address is sourced, and if it is not local, get a new one. Not sure all routers allow you to do this but it worked like a charm.

Message 273 of 303
ACE - Master

All good points.

But not everyone has such a cooperative ISP. Some won't let you change or select an IP, others might not have IPs available that geolocate to your actual location.

Also, most consumer internet service is "dynamic" meaning your IP address can and will change, so your solution may not be permanent.

The correct answer, assuming they are using one of the commercial geolocation services, is to correct the database, but that's not something any subscriber can do since we are not the customers, DTVN is.

Anyway, glad you are up and running.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 274 of 303
Tutor

Our ISP provider is Windstream, which is currently in bankruptcy chap. 7
status. The person at Windstream that I spoke with said that all of their
ISP addresses are reassigned system wide every 6-8 weeks automatically. That
means that I'll get another ISP address at random and may not be in my ZIP
code. My current one is in my ZIP code area so we could get our local
channels, but it may change in about 4 weeks to another ZIP in another state
again. I think that DirecTV Now is the only one that assigns by what the ZIP
in your ISP address is set at. We cancelled them and have gone with YouTube
TV where during the setup they asked what my local ZIP is and bingo, we get
our local channels with no problems. If only DTVN would allow you to choose
what your ZIP is rather than they rely on what your random ISP is. Even
though they raised their prices, eliminated some packages and channels we
would have stayed with them.

As a footnote, I could buy an ISP address from Windstream for my local ZIP,
but it would have cost me about $10 more per month on my phone bill. Pass!
Message 275 of 303
ACE - Master

DTVN is not the only provider that uses geolocation, which is what you are referring to.

They may be the only one that relies solely on automated geolocation results though, and has no simple reliable method of correcting the inevitable errors.

I know Hulu uses geolo, not sure about YTTV as they refuse to provide me service.

Some devices, like phones, tablets and ATVs, have location services and report an accurate location, that can be a solution to the locals problems.

If you are curious where some geolocation vendors think you are, look here:

https://www.iplocation.net

Notice the notes about accuracy.

I don't think you should pay for a static IP, you shouldn't have to, it's not your fault the chosen location method is unreliable.

Message 276 of 303
Tutor

I understand my solution will not work for everyone. We just recently upgraded our FIOS from 15 mbps to 50 and it came with a new router which allowed me to reset my IP address. The old router did not have this feature and that would have made this a whole lot harder to fix. I could not have lived another night without my daughter not having American Idol.

It is a very esoteric problem that someone without any networking experience could have a great deal of difficultly navigating. Having said that, this is a problem  I should not have had to fix! DirectTV has my address and zip code. That should have been enough. Shame, shame on DirectTV for putting me and others through this. To add to the misery, their support web site is  virtually useless. “Contact them through Twitter or Facebook” they say. On principle, I refuse to use either. Only after an unrelated search did I find Chat and a problem entry box (too late).

DirectTV – Tell you what, add AMC to the basic package and all is forgiven.

Message 277 of 303
Highlighted
ACE - Master

Not sure what you mean by "reset your IP", it certainly won't let you select an IP of your choosing, and if it did you would have trouble communicating with the world.

Perhaps it just re-ran DHCP and picked up a new dynamic IP?

I agree subscribers should not have to deal with this sort of problem, but the reason they do not simply take the subscriber's word for it is the satellite carriers learned long ago that people will go to great lengths to get the locals and RSNs they want, including disguising their true location. Their contracts for programming may require a non-subscriber-controllable method of location determination.

Message 278 of 303
Tutor

I filed a complaint with the FCC about what Comcast did to me. After talking to Comcast, they reset my IP address to a local one.
Message 279 of 303
Tutor

Not sure what you mean by "reset your IP", it certainly won't let you select an IP of your choosing”

Allow me to clarify. The router is a  ZyXEL VMG4825-B10A. In the Status menu it shows my assigned IP address and next to it is a button that says “Disconnect”. When I press it the IP address goes to 0.0.0.0. When I press “Connect” it comes back with a new IP address. I Google it, see where it is located, and if not close enough I repeat the process. Took me about 10 tries. Kept getting addresses located in Western and Northern NH, far outside ABC’s area.

It is obvious that the address is not permanently assigned to me and this router’s feature allows me to grab another one in their bucket. This was not always the case. At one time my assigned address pointed right to my home when Googled.

NH is on its third service provider. Originally we had Verizon when I had FIOS installed. Verizon sold their NH operations to Pioneer Communications. Recently it was sold to Consolidated Communications. Somewhere in the process the method of assigning IP addresses changed. When we moved here 15 years ago my town had zero internet providers and I had to start with the satellite method which sucked because it would not allow VPN connections.

It is certainly possible I’ll get a new assigned address, whereupon, I will repeat the above process.

This certainly will not work for everyone but may spark an idea of something to try.
Message 280 of 303
Mentor

Just find a proxy in the city where your locals are broadcast. You can get them feee but those you buy are faster and more reliable. Set the proxy up on your computer browser and then you'll get your locals.

Also make sure you disable everything that is ipv6with your connection.

Message 281 of 303
ACE - Master

That would be a switch, using a VPN to get your correct location, instead of to hide it. :-)

If DTVN detects the VPN, and there are many ways to do so, they will probably terminate your service as it's a violation of the EULA.

Message 282 of 303
Mentor

No you can use a proxy server to get the correct location. I used to do it all the time. They will not terminate.

Message 283 of 303
ACE - Master

I re-read the Eula. It looks to me like you can't use a proxy server that's outside the USA, or use one to make it appear you are in the USA if you are not.

Using one the way you describe does not appear to be precluded, but I'm not a lawyer.

They appear to be mainly concerned about whether you are in the USA or not, but if they are delivering local stations to out-of-market customers they might be in violation of their carriage agreements, even if the user is in the USA.

In any case, you should not have to do anything. It's DTVN's responsibility to determine your location, by whatever method they choose, though a method might be specified by their carriage contracts.

Message 284 of 303
Tutor

Rallmall,

Could you send more details about how you filed your complaint with the FCC?

It appears Consolidated Communications is changing my IP address on a daily basis. After getting one local to me yesterday I now have one located in Burlington, VT., about 200 miles north of me.

I spent over an hour on the phone with them yesterday. Amazingly, they understood the problem and the first person I talked to (she was great) tried to come up with a solution. She couldn't so she had to forward me to their Technical Services department. More discussion and their only solution was to assign me a fixed address, at $10 extra per month. I explained, in no uncertain terms, that was totally unacceptable since they are the ones creating the problem. More discussion, each time coming back to the extra charge. No appeal process. I mentioned going to the FCC; no reaction. I've got one more avenue to pursue with them (file a complaint) but doubt it will work.

At this moment I still have access to my two ABC channels. If they disappear the FCC is next on my list. Knowing how you did it would be of great assistance. You can contact me at orders1@ground-tech.com. Thanks.

Message 285 of 303
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support