Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Loss Of Las Vegas 89101 local channels / L.A. and now S.F. instead after Century Link Outage 2/6/19

Highlighted
Contributor

Loss Of Las Vegas 89101 local channels / L.A. and now S.F. instead after Century Link Outage 2/6/19

I live in Las Vegas 89101 on 2/6/19 A.M. Century Link had a major outage. I started receiving L.A. CA locals instead of Las Vegas. I chatted with customer service and assured it would be resolved by 2/7. No resolution on 2/7 instead at about 7PM I began receiving San Francisco local channels so the DirecTV fix didn't work in Las Vegas 89101. This happens on Firestick, the PC with Chrome Browser but the Android phone identifies I am in Vegas 89101 on the same network I assume it is reading the location from a different source. I am assuming the issue is identifying my location via centurylink after the outage on the IP identification or something related. The app has been reinstalled, the modem has been rebooted and the PC shouldn't need either. So there is still an issue in Vegas 89101 using Century Link with DirecTV Now identifying our location. We subscribe to this service over others to specifically watch our local news. If the issue is not resolved before our next billing we will select a new service provider. Thank you.

Message 1 of 5
ACE - Expert

Re: Loss Of Las Vegas 89101 local channels / L.A. and now S.F. instead after Century Link Outage 2/6

Unfortunately, you are only talking to other subscribers here in this open community forum. support is not located here and they will not see your post. I recommend that you contact support and discuss your issue. That is your only course of action. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 5
Mentor

Re: Loss Of Las Vegas 89101 local channels / L.A. and now S.F. instead after Century Link Outage 2/6

Go to this website and see what the location of your IP address is: https://www.iplocation.net/find-ip-address

IP addresses are registered by your ISP. Your IP address is most likely dynamic. Meaning, it will change periodically. Unfortunately, many ISP's cover a large area, and their blocks of IP addresses aren't always registered properly for the city/town that they are used in. And unfortunately, this is not DirectvNow's problem, nor can they fix it. DirectvNow and other streaming tv services allow you to travel away from home. While you're away, you can use DirectvNow and if you watch local network channels, they will be in the zip code you are traveling to.

So, if the link above says Los Angeles, then DirectvNow thinks you're traveling in Los Angeles. You need to contact your ISP and tell them that their IP address isn't registered in the proper location. You could also disconnect your cable/DSL modem for a while, plug it back in, and you'll get a new IP address. Hopefully one registered in your area. (Maybe unplug it while you're sleeping and don't need to use it).

If when you click on the link I provided, you GET Las Vegas as a registration, then it's definitely on the DirectvNow side. Something conflicting with your account. Log into your account and make sure your BILLING ADDRESS is correct (Las Vegas). If it is correct; get on chat and talk to them.

Message 3 of 5
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by tapetree
‎02-09-2019 6:41 AM

Of course geolocation is notoriously inaccurate. The link you provided shows me in Evanston, Wyoming, 400 miles from where I actually am (Cheyenne). They also got my ISP wrong. Other geolo vendors show me anywhere from Montana to New York City, and one actually got it right.

The best way to correct a geolocation error is to have the vendor put through a "correction" to their database. Unfortunately only chat support can get them to do that, the vendors won't listen to an individual subscriber, they are not their customer.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 5
Contributor

Chat support after four times was clueless. I know what the issue was but they wouldn't escalate insisting it was my zip code. So I canceled service and went back to Vue. Vue has the same issue until Century Link gets it together but at least I can DVR the locals on my phone then watch them on the firestick. Vue now has locals much better deal these days. Vue has come a long way since I left a year ago and switched to DTV.  Better service, more channels, better flow and on demand  works on the firestick or PS4. 

Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support