Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Local channels missing

Tutor

Local channels missing

My local channels that we were streaming through our Roku have disappeared. Customer Service Chat said my internet provider zip does not match my billing zip. Upon taking with my internet service provider that is not accurate. I can "hot spot" with my phone but can not stream through my internet? Why was I able to yesterday?
Message 5 of 38
Mentor

Apple TV 4 Missing Channels... NBC for one..

Signed up earlier in the week but didn't get a chance to play seriously with the service until today...

I can see NBC on the guide on my phone and my PC chrome browser.  No issues watching it either (But I can't google cast NBVC to my Android TV).

That said...  On my Apple TV settop box I cannot see NBC on the guide or tune to it...  I've tried uninstalling/re-installing...  What gives?

Also... weren't we supposed to get HBO and Cinemax during the 7 day trial?  Not seeing those either.

Message 1 of 38
ACE - Expert

Re: Apple TV 4 Missing Channels... NBC for one..

@jsaalee wrote:

That said...  On my Apple TV settop box I cannot see NBC on the guide or tune to it...  I've tried uninstalling/re-installing...  What gives?

The web site channel listing says "**NBC live stream available on mobile and desktop devices only." (no reason listed).

Also... weren't we supposed to get HBO and Cinemax during the 7 day trial?  Not seeing those either.

First I heard of it.

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (3)
Message 2 of 38
ACE - Expert

@jsaalee wrote:

Also... weren't we supposed to get HBO and Cinemax during the 7 day trial? Not seeing those either.

I FOUND IT!

At the bottom of the page where you pick a plan they have BUT you have to choose them:

Screen Shot 2016-12-05 at 11.03.10 PM.png

BUT if you did one of the prepay deal, you're not getting the free trial.  I think the only way to get HBO for 7 day trial is to have done the free trial.

Now, if you did the 3 month prepay it makes you prepay for HBO / Cinemax for 3 months, just like the plan, but you do get the extra week free.

I bet at a later date they offer to add it to the account at some promo pricing... (Just like the cable companies)

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 38
Mentor

According to this article NBC is supposed to be available to view natively on the set top box applications.

https://consumerist.com/2016/11/30/att-confirms-live-access-to-nbc-is-still-mobile-only-on-directv-n...

Hopefully this will be addressed shortly.  No CBS is not a big deal for us but no NBC is a problem (practically the only channel my wife watches).

Message 4 of 38
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Dukedog
‎10-02-2017 1:13 PM

Re: Local channels missing

At a guess, your Roku got a new external IP address from your ISP.  This happens occasionally - and unpredictably - as your ISP needs to.  Usually this is transparent to you.  However, DTVN needs to know where your device is in order to meet their licensing restrictions, and unlike your phone - which has GPS, so really knows where it is - the Roku's location is determined by geolocation, which is mapping its IP address to a physical location.  Unfortunately, this is not even close to an exact process - the companies that provide the service use a variety of clues to try to determine the location, but often end up with an incorrect location, especially immediately after the device's address changes (they are then likely to report the location of the device that previously used that address).  The process may or may not have anything to do with your ISP.  It is probably less of a problem with a local ISP (for example, a local only cable company) than with a national ISP, but even that isn't really certain.  Over time, the accuracy of the location generally improves (at least enough), but that isn't guaranteed either.

There doesn't appear to be much the sufferer can do except wait and hope it improves.  You could try contacting some of the geolocation companies (we don't know which one(s) DTVN uses) and see if there is anything they can do.  Failing that, some ISPs offer static IP addresses (for a fee) that are less likely to have the problem - or at least aren't likely to have the problem appear after the fact, since the IP address would never change.  This is a long-term problem that will likely affect more things as the IoT grows and includes more location dependent services.  But it isn't clear what a good solution would be.

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 38
Tutor

After much research I think you hit the nail in the head! What a bummer! I was really loving having all my local channels! Thank you!
Message 7 of 38
ACE - Master

They will probably come back - hopefully sooner than later.  It would be good if we could come up with some things you could do to improve the tracking of the geolocation companies, but so far I have heard of anything that reliably works.  Good luck...

Message 8 of 38
Tutor

I am no rocket scientist, well actually.....

why don't they lock the local channels to the billing address zip code so you can only watch your local channels regardless of where your ISP happens to be at that time.....

Message 9 of 38
ACE - Master

They can't because your billing address is not necessarily where your streaming device actually is, and their licensing for broadcast channels (and to a large extent, FCC regulations) care about where the device is.  They aren't allowed to bring a different affiliate's stream into an "out of market" location.  It isn't the ISP that is at question, just the streaming device itself, and the problem is that the method that exists to locate where devices without GPS are is not very good - or at least is subject to significant and often randomly timed errors.

Message 10 of 38
Tutor

Local Channels Still Missing

I have had Directv Now for a little over two weeks and they have yet to give me my local channels after multiple attempts to troubleshoot with their "customer service" chat agents (who confirmed that I should be receiving them. between agent suggestions and these forums I have skimmed through, I feel like i have tried everything. 

The channels are missing on every device I have attempted to watch on: Mobile device (with and without wifi), Roku, and computer. 

I have attempted deleting and downloading the apps, i have ensured that my device location was on and set to high accuracy, I have confirmed that my IP address is correct. 

My case has been "escalated" for 16 days and they have yet to contact me with a solution.

*EDIT*

For what it's worth, I have been receiving my local sports channels

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Tags (1)
Message 11 of 38
Professor

Re: Local Channels Still Missing

You said you searched the forum, so I'm sure you've come across all of these possible solutions at some point, but I'll mention them anyway. First of all, check what local channels you are actually supposed to get here. Second, make sure your billing zip code and your location zip code are the same. And finally, your internet service provider can kick your IP address out of your local area, although you said you checked your IP address. I know the first time I ran DirecTV Now, I was not receiving one of my local channels that I was supposed to receive. I unplugged my router and plugged it back in and uninstalled and reinstalled the app and it worked ever since then.

Message 12 of 38
Tutor

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times, switching off router did not work either

Message 13 of 38
Professor

Can you confirm the billing address for the credit card on file is the same as the zip code you are watching your devices from?

Message 14 of 38
Tutor

Yes they are all the same

Message 15 of 38
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support