Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: Missing Guide Channels (FireTV)

I don't see locals NBC, ABC or FOX is anyone else having this problem?

I am not getting local chanels I am suppose to be getting NYC area local channels

Message 10 of 220
ACE - Expert

@brianvm - I don't believe they maintain any sort of geolocation database.  They contract out geolocation services (likely to MaxMind).  You may be able to contact them and give them the splits and locations.

@Crooked - this has nothing to do with DirecTV, which is an unrelated service (and apparently unrelated division of ATT) from DirecTV Now.  And I don't think they particularly care about the various zip codes - they care about the physical location that either the device reports about itself (which is normally pretty accurate) or the location the geolocation firms estimate from their attempts to dynamically localize the IP address for devices that don't report their own locations.  If anything, this is because the TV (broadcast) industry demands that they don't carry out of market stations into a market.  DTVN has recently changed their handling so they (apparently) no longer care about billing zip but just reported physical location, but if you are using a device that doesn't have location services, then you are subject to whatever the relatively unreliable geolocation industry reports for it.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 181 of 220
Teacher

YouTube TV's policy regarding local channels:

"Your access to local networks will vary depending on which zip code you're in. Sign in from home at least once every 3 months to keep your account active. (Note, you’ll need to sign in from home monthly in order to stream MLB content.)"

That's reasonable and allows for the viewing of the SAME local channels we get when at home, while traveling (with a Roku, etc). Why can't we have the same policy with Directv Now?

If YouTube is able to afford its subscribers with a reasonable local channels traveling policy, AT&T is certainly able to do the same thing; they just haven't done it yet. Why?

Message 182 of 220
Teacher

Hi... As a loyal DirecTV satellite customer for years; I shifted to DirecTV NOW primarily because you added the DVR feature (does not work well; and drops in the middle of playbacks often; and I have AT&T 1000 speed fiber and ATV4k so it's not on my end); and for the LOCAL CHANNELS.

In ORLANDO we are missing Channel 6 for CBS (I know CBS 'all-access' gameplan) and WUCF for PBS.

This was almost a deal-killer as I'd be willing to PAY extra if you'd build-in CBS into the guide even if it's as a 'premium' add-on for a few dollars a month.

In most major markets (O&O stations) CBS IS INCLUDED; so perhaps you can work something out for Orlando; whether included or as a premium.

Yes I can use an antenna; but it's streamlined if you embed CBS into the guide one way or another.

Thank you (loyal shareholder and AT&T wireless customer too). You're on the right track; just need to refine the service more and stabilize the 'Beta' DVR over time.

Good luck and thanks for leaping into the modern OTT streaming era.

Message 183 of 220
Contributor

I have the GO Big package using AppleTV, never since the big upgrade I've loss ABC, CBS and NBC. The online chat said to delete and reload the app. Didn't work. Anything else I can try? 

Message 184 of 220
Contributor

I'm using the app on AppleTV, I loss ABC, CBS and NBC every since the big upgrade. The online chat said to delete and reinstall the DirectTVnow app, No luck, Any ideas??

Thanks  

Message 185 of 220

Hi! I had a problem recently with my one local channel disappearing, and it
turned out my ip address was incorrect - had me about 60 miles away. Called
the techs/internet provider, and I now have my local station back. I'm just
over the Philadelphia line, and can't get any of those stations - but ever
hopeful..
Message 186 of 220
Mentor

@bretts1960 Do you recall how your techs fixed it so you got the local channels? I'm having the issue you were. My geolocation of my IP address shows I'm about 80 miles from where I am. I've reset my modem/router over and over. I've even had at&t send me a brand new modem hoping that would fix it. No such luck.

Message 187 of 220
Contributor

Advice above to Go to Settings on Roku is definitely a big joke. There is no Settings in DirectvNow app since they changed everything to this “new experience”. It’s slow, very confusing and No Local Channels, which I had before they “improved” everything.

After a few months (!) of figuring out this issue, I’m finally going to cancel their service.

Message 188 of 220
Contributor

I am able to get locals channels on my phone but get local channel on my tv for channels on other side of state. Your explanation above helps me to understand that this is a poor product with defunct mechanisms for determining local channels. I have Youtubetv with zero issues regarding local channels. Added to this frustration is the fact that there is essentially no customer support. The website says chat is available at bottom of screen but all I see is a link to Twitter and forums. 

Message 189 of 220
Highlighted

Thanks! I agree - although I'm happy with it otherwise. Frontier is coming
by tomorrow to hopefully fix this issue with a fixed IP address - available
only with their business customers (which I now am).

Best of luck with all of this!
Message 190 of 220
Tutor

I had local channels for my area, St. Louis & suddenly on 9-29-18 they changed to Springfield channels. I don’t want to see news and weather from Springfield, I’m over three hours from there. Nothing of mine has Springfield location info. This programming change literally happened overnight. Directv Now has not been able to fix it yet. I have done the chat and the twitter and all the troubleshooting with Directv Now and it’s not worked yet. I’m beyond frustrated. This is the stupidest thing to happen with this product so far. I’m starting to hate Directv Now. 

Message 191 of 220

Hi! This is not a directly a DirecTV issue - it's from the IP address your
router uses. I have mine through Frontier, and my IP address changes a few
times a week, and often switches me between the (east of me) Philadelphia
market and (west of me) Harrisburg/Lancaster Market. I've had to give up on
the issue and get used to two different markets. The only solution as stated
by DirecTV was to have a fixed IP address, for which I went through two
weeks of problems - and ended up with western Virginia tv channels (about
150 miles south of me). I opted to go back to the original set up with
Phila./Harrisburg.

Until DirecTV uses something other than IP addresses to determine locale
(such as a zip code), the problem will continue..

Message 192 of 220
ACE - Expert

It's DirecTV Now not DirecTV. The 2 services are completely different.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 193 of 220

Hi - yes, that's what I meant in my replies - DirecTVNow.
Message 194 of 220

Not a problem here - but if your IP address may be putting you in an area
where the local stations are not offered.
Message 195 of 220
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support