Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: How do i get local channels

Tutor

How do i get local channels

How do I stream network channels abc, cbs, nbc etc?  I am in Brookings Oregon.

Csn I get San Frsncisco starions?

Message 1 of 11
ACE - Expert

Have you verified that you are suppose to receive local channels by using the local channel look-up tool located here

If you do they should appear in your guide.

DIRECTV NOW offers local channels within specified market areas. Your eligibility is dependent on your billing zip code, and your access depends on the physical location of the device. Access to local channels depends upon the licensing agreements DIRECTV NOW has with local markets at your current location. Local, regional, and national providers hold the streaming and broadcast rights to these channels in local markets. AT&T continues to work with providers to add local streaming options. Note: If streaming from a mobile device, local channel availability is dependent upon your billing zip code and the current physical location of the device.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 11
ACE - Master

Short answers: you can't and no.

Long answer:

Retransmission carriers (like DTVN) can only provide the broadcast networks from your local affiliates (if any) - this is enforced by license restrictions and FCC regulations.  (More precisely, they can only provide the stations in your DMA - Designated Market Area - which for Brookings OR is the Medford-Klamath Falls DMA.)  So no, you cannot get San Francisco stations at that location.  In point of fact, DirecTV Now doesn't currently carry any local stations in that DMA.  To carry a local station, the carrier (DTVN in this case) needs to make a carriage agreement with that station (negotiating a - reasonable - fee to pay the station in exchange for the right to carry it - this is often difficult) and then needs to install the streaming infrastructure to actually carry the station.  Both of these are fairly involved processes, so they can't be done all at once.  Because of that, there is the  assumption that DTVN has a somewhat prioritized list of markets to handle.  It isn't significantly easier or cheaper to arrange for and carry small market stations than large market stations, so we (well, I at least) believe that they would want to give precedence to large market stations, since for the same effort and expense, they would provide service to more current and potential customers.  Also, large market stations are more often owned by companies that own multiple stations, so the negotiations can cover multiple stations at a time, gaining efficiency.  This is not to say that they have no interest in smaller markets - they'd ultimately like to carry all local network affiliates (to the extent that is practical) and they are making progress with that (there are many smaller markets where there are at least some local stations carried, and that number is increasing), but it goes more slowly than anyone is really happy with.

In the meantime, you do get on-demand for all the broadcast networks from DTVN, as well as access to the network's own "anywhere" apps (and websites), so most of the episodic content is available, albeit with a delay.  You also get access to the networks' sports apps (and websites), which in many (but not all) cases will provide access to the network's sports coverage.  All of these apps will run on the same platforms as the DTVN app.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 11
Tutor

I used the lookup tool.  It displayed CBS, ABC, and a couple others, but those networks do not appear in the guide.
Message 4 of 11
ACE - Expert

What device are you using? Can you receive them on your phone using mobile data?

Message 5 of 11
Tutor

I can not see networks CBS, NBC, and a couple others in the guide, even though they show up using the look-up tool.
Message 6 of 11
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Ralph2U
‎12-01-2017 10:02 AM

This is for Brookings, Oregon - zip code 97415?  If you use the DirecTV Now local lookup tool (here), it shows no local channels (message is "We are sorry we do not carry these local channels in your area yet. ").  If you are using the DirecTV local channel lookup tool, it indeed shows a number of local channels.  That is irrelevant - DirecTV and DirecTV Now are different services which offer different local channels.

Tags (1)
Message 7 of 11
Tutor

On both my cell phone and laptop computer, CBS and ABC are listed in the networks tab, but they do not show up in the guide.  I do not know when to watch my shows.
Message 8 of 11
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Those are probably only OnDemand entries. If not in the guide then its not live.

Message 9 of 11
Tutor

Are you saying that network shows such as "This is Us" can not be view on the day it is broadcast, but only at a later date?  
Message 10 of 11
ACE - Master

If you get a live NBC stream (DTVN carries your local affiliate), then you can get This is Us (and other network shows) when the shows are broadcast.  If they don't carry your local affiliate, then you can only get the NBC shows on demand (either through the DTVN on-demand library or through the NBC app or website, which you can access using DTVN credentials), and that will be later.  How much later varies - the NBC app may well update the next day, while the DTVN library seems to generally take a week or more. 

Checking:  Specifically for This is Us - the NBC app/website has this week's episode (from Tuesday) while the DTVN library is several weeks behind.  I don't tend to use the on-demand, so I don't know if that much delay is common - there have been some reports that it hasn't been updating normally recently.  More generally is hard to say, since there have been a lot of reruns and specials because of the holidays.  However, looking at Fallon (the only new "show" on NBC last night because of football), DTVN's library is about 2 weeks behind (again, possibly a problem rather than normal delay) while NBC's app/website has last night's show.  So if that is standard, then even if you don't get the live NBC stream, you will probably be able to get the programming with (some fraction of) a 1 day delay.

Message 11 of 11
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support