Explore & discover

Helpful Links

GOODBYE COMCAST!

Scholar

GOODBYE COMCAST!

I terminated my Comcast account today. Now using DIRECTV NOW exclusively. Wish me luck.

Message 1 of 4
Scholar

Re: GOODBYE COMCAST!

Luck. You may not need it, though. IMHO, the service works pretty much as designed. A lot depends on your wifi and perhaps to a lesser degree, the streaming device. I have a Fire TV box and a Fire Stick. I've had better results with the stick than the box. Others may disagree. Apple TV get high marks, as well, from other members. Roku is still in the wind. As is a cloud DVR. Picture quality? Again, in my experience, it beats Sling and Vue. 

Biggest paradigm shift from cutting the cord is living without the DVR for cable channels. I have an antenna outside with a SiliconDust network tuner. Those combined with Plex gives me a DVR for local broadcasts. And, I suppose with VOD on most channels, maybe a DVR isn't necessary for the cable channels - as long as the VOD has recent episodes, and I don't know how much influence DTVN has with its providers on this matter.

So... Luck.

Message 2 of 4
Scholar

I have AT&T Gigabit fiber so bandwidth is not a problem. I agree with you on DVR functions. I have gone cold turkey recently and stopped recording 3-5 hours per day, mostly news and old shows. I am using the channel apps on my APPLE TV in place of DVR. The local channels in Atlanta area are limited but I expect that to improve with time.

My biggest concern is for live sports this fall. I watch college football and basketball, recording many games on my DVR. With the DVR, I would start a game late but watch it from the beginning. The apps give me access to most games, will have to buy CBS All Access package to get some of them. For now, I will have to plan to be home when the game starts. I am hoping DVR functions will be added in the near future.

Saving $75/month is worth a few changes.

Message 3 of 4
Scholar

Yeah, it'll take a little getting used to. For us, the antenna farm for all the network channels is in one area, so my ChannelMaster 60 picks up 66 channels with ease. We only watch football in the fall, so having local Fox and CBS is all we need. And although Plex's DVR is still beta, it works well enough. Even with the Plex Pass monthly fee, I save $150/month. Got rid of the phone, too. And still was able to upgrade to 75/75 internet. It make you wonder what the heck I was paying for. 800 channels of nothing to watch, I guess.

The fall season may be trouble. I have only two simultaneous tuners. May have to get a second network tuner. We'll wait till then. I've bought enough gadgets for a while.

Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support