Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Fast forward and commercial skip on AT&T TV or AT&T TV NOW

Tutor

Fast forward and commercial skip on AT&T TV or AT&T TV NOW

How does the fast forward and commercial skip work on shows saved on AT&T TV or AT&T TV NOW?  It has 15 second skips, but that takes a long time for 3-4 minutes of commercials at a time.  Also, can you see the show moving faster or are you just advancing sight unseen and guessing where to stop. 

Message 1 of 23
Tutor

Re: Fast forward and commercial skip on Direct TV Now

I havn't noticed forced ads yet, but if that's true then that is the loss of a HUGE selling point - because DTVNow was using an actual recording and not replacing that recording with the inferior on-demand episode.  

Message 16 of 23
ACE - Master

It was long ago, shortly after the DVR appeared, and a recording that had been made 3 weeks past. When the commercial block started and I saw the "Ad 1 of 4" in the upper left I knew I was watching a VOD program, not a DVR recording.

I haven't noticed it since, though I don't use much VOD or DVR.

Personally I would have no problem with DTVN replacing a DVRed show with the VOD version when it became available, as long as I could FF through commercials, and the time was returned to my DVR allotment, since "my" DVR was no longer storing that program.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 23
Mentor

Just signed up for DTN.  Use DVR alot and the Playstation Vue DVR was much better.  What I found that somewhat worked is putting the video on pause and then hitting 15 seconds repeatedly.  It will show still image of video with each push so you know when program restarts.  Not ideal but better than fast forwarding blind. 

Message 18 of 23
ACE - Master

What hardware are you using? The shuttling experience seems to vary considerably depending on the device.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 19 of 23
Mentor

Good Morning,

I am using Amazon Fire Stick 4K the newest one.  Fast forwarding without pausing first is blind but when paused see still image of where you are at in the video.  As an aside I have a Samsung smart tv that has Directv Now app but not working well.  Takes longer for image to sharpen when starting up and FOX has no audio.  Rest of channels do.  That is why I changed to the Amazon Fire TV stick.  Sorry for straying from thread content.  

Message 20 of 23
Contributor

Samsung TV. Fast forward is a pure guess since there are no frames to see scrolling by (like Netfix has). The 15 sec skip also is worthless because it takes nearly 15 seconds to restart the show. I even upgraded my internet to 100 MBA. Beginning to think changing to DTV Now was a big mistake, but dont know where else to go.

Message 21 of 23
ACE - Master

Is this a new Samsung set, running the beta app?

If so, there are many known issues with that app, many users have just attached external streaming devices.

You might consider an external streamer, it's been over 8 months of issues with that "beta".

Your internet speed has little to do with it, 6-8 Mbps. is adequate.

The only way I know to be able to see video as you FF/REW is to use an ATV4K with a third-party remote, and even that seems to be an undocumented feature.

Message 22 of 23
Guru

I hear you about the slow 15-sec skip, but you can click it about 10-12 times so that advances nicely to what is a normal 3-minute or so commercial break. Plus, I'm pretty good at guessing by length how far to slide ahead to get past the commercials, while arriving very near the start of the show. 

It's all very clunky, and far from perfect, but if DTVNOW dumped the DVR, I would dump DTVNOW.

Message 23 of 23
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support