Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Fast forward and commercial skip on AT&T TV or AT&T TV NOW

Tutor

Fast forward and commercial skip on AT&T TV or AT&T TV NOW

How does the fast forward and commercial skip work on shows saved on AT&T TV or AT&T TV NOW?  It has 15 second skips, but that takes a long time for 3-4 minutes of commercials at a time.  Also, can you see the show moving faster or are you just advancing sight unseen and guessing where to stop. 

Message 1 of 23
Professor

Re: Fast forward and commercial skip on Direct TV Now

Right and Left arrows during playback do 30 sec skips. Much better for skipping commercials.

Message 2 of 23
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by Community Support (Community Support)
Accepted by ATTCustomerCare
‎08-22-2019 11:17 AM

This is dependent on what hardware you are using and, in some cases, what remote you are using to control it.

I can see the video as I FF with an ATV4K, but others apparently can't. I'm using a Harmony remote, the others are using the Apple remote. I don't understand why it would make a difference but...

OTOH others report the 15 sec. skip buttons on their ATVs, but I never see them.

The DVR is still "Beta", we may see some improvements, but all we can do is wait.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 23
Professor

If you press ok/select during playback, you don't see 15 sec skip on the bar at the bottom?

Message 4 of 23
Tutor

I never have seen a 30 sec skip on fast forward using the Apple remote on an Apple TV 4K.  I can only Ft or rewind blind without any fixed amount.   I don’t know what I was watching, but I remember doing a 10 sec fe or rewind using the Apple remote. One presses the left or right side of the top button on the remote and the 10 sec symbol appears.  Then one sort of swipes and it advances 10 secs.  But it’s tricky to use.  But I haven’t been able to do it on Direct tv now.  

Message 5 of 23
ACE - Master

It was reported here a while back that pressing the upper right or upper left corner of the Apple remote will cause the FF and REW buttons to appear. The post even included a picture of where to press.

Try as I might I could never get that to happen.

Of course there have been multiple updates to both tvOS and the DTVN app since that time.

It's hard to know if you have a problem if you are unsure of what the expected behavior is.:-)

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 23

download the app for your iphone and use that .. tap on the right side and slide up .. you will be able to go forward or back though the screen will not tell you where you are in the show but at least you can scroll .. would be nice if some instructions came with all this huh

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rsockey

On the ATV, using the Apple remote, playing a recording or VOD (not a live TV show), lite touch on right side of touch pad will bring up the advance 15 second button, click touch pad to advance without removing the contact on the pad. Works the same to rewind 15 seconds, just use the left side of the pad. Click as many times as you wish to advance or rewind in increments of 15.

Edit -By pausing the video, click touch pad, the 15 secound feature is disabled and the scrubber can advance or rewind by constant lite touch moving left or right, click to drop. 

Message 8 of 23
Teacher

Fast forward works about as well as everything else in DirectTV Now -- poorly.

You have two choices, you can skip ahead in 15-second intervals, which is pretty useless because by the time it figures out where in the stream 15 seconds later is, 10 seconds has already passed. The other choice is to fast-forward without getting getting frames to see where you're fast-forwarding to (Netflix, Amazon, every other streaming service in the world does this except DTV Now) so you're left to guess how far in advance you go. The Apple TV version of Direct TV now has a nice feature where you can easily "scrub" but it's ruined by the fact that the sensor is way too sensitive and it's very hard to pinpoint an exact location. Even the slightest hint of finger movement will cause you to miss your mark by at least 60 seconds.

Message 9 of 23
Tutor

Here's what I do:

I push the 15 second skip 12 times in quick succession.  That will skip 3 minutes.  Then if I see a commercial, I hit it again 2x (to skip another 30 sec).  Works reasonably well, and instead of re-buffering the video every 15 seconds it's only a couple of tries before I am back to the show.

I am using a Roku Streaming Stick +, but I have done the same thing on chrome on a PC and on a Fire Stick - though the Roku is easier because I only have to push the right button...

Message 10 of 23
Tutor

Thanks for your help. We gave up Direct TV Now. We record shows quite
a bit and it was just too frustrating trying to skip blindly along.
They had a good selection of channels, but they need a good bit of
upgrade work before we would return to them.
Message 11 of 23

totally agree.. and there are inherent restrictions depending on where you
are in the country ... ET vs PT and the channels do not allow recording.
This is equal to early phases of other systems from 3 yrs ago.
one star out of 10

Message 12 of 23
Contributor

How do I use the control for my Samsung SmartTV to fast forward through commercials and just navigate the options?

Message 13 of 23
Tutor

Seems like you aren’t allowed to fast forward on recorded shows any longer. I am being forced to watch 6 ads on my recorded shows. Absolute crap. 

Message 14 of 23
Tutor

On top of that the ads use up data and I’m on a 1024gb cap.  They should subtract advertising from your data use.  When cable first started they advertised pay tv had no commercials.  Now everything is inundated with it.  Some shows like Big Bang theory have a 5 minute commercial break.  How much data is that?  

Message 15 of 23
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support