Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Error Code 40 on Android Device

Error Code 40 on Android Device

The error codes post says to restart my device, reinstall the app, etc. I've tried all of that and neither work. I've tried WiFi, and LTE on my Nexus 6.  Pretty much all of my Android devices are rooted, so it seems I can't even use the Chromecast functionality unless it works from PC (haven't had opportunity to try yet).

Does Error Code 40 also apply to rooted devices even though it isn't mentioned? That would have been nice to know beforehand if that's the case.

Message 1 of 133
Tutor

Re: Error Code 40 on Android Device

It does look like being rooted is the issue.  My phone is not rooted and I have zero issues playing on device or Chromecast.  But, my rooted tablet gives Error Code 40.  The app asks for root priviledges, and it won't play video if I allow or deny.

Message 2 of 133

It must be the case. If so, that sucks. I don't know what blocking rooted devices prevents. I can do screen recordings without root, and have even more priviliges on my Windows PC. I remember HBO Now used to do the same...check for root and then block you. It worked fine when I had it a few months ago, so I think they started allowing rooted devices. 

My guess is that Error Code 40 pops up when it does a SafetyNet check. I guess I'll try Magisk and see if I can hide root.

edit: Hiding root with Magisk didn't work either Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 133
Tutor

Rooted phones are blocked!

Just wanted to let everyone know you will get error 40 in the app and not be able to stream any channels. I unrooted my phone to verify this was the issue and everything started working fine. When rooted the app asks for superuser access. Even though it is granted the app still fails. Just a heads up for rooted users that don't plan to unroot just to use this app. Nexus 6P.

Message 4 of 133
Tutor

Had same issue. My device is a rooted Nexus 6P. I unrooted and everything works fine now. Looks like they are blocking all rooted devices.

Message 5 of 133
Teacher

error code 30 on Android App ???

Need help - I'm on a compatible android device, (running Android v 5.1.1) and downloaded the app from the google play store, but am receiving an error code 30 .... I've tried all recomended actions but the DirecTV Now app will not start. "looks like there is an issue on our end. No Worries, we're working to fix it ASAP"???????????????????

Bad first impressions here. Appreciate any help from ATT or other users!  Thanks

Tags (2)
Message 6 of 133

Error Code 40 rooted device

Is there any plans to investigate the issue users are experiencing on rooted devices? The Error code 40.

Message 7 of 133

I'm having this issue on my rooted One plus One. Needs to get resolved if rooted device is the issue.

Message 8 of 133
Teacher

I have a Firestick which is not rooted and I get the Error 40. 

Message 9 of 133
Community Support

Re: Rooted phones are blocked!

Hi @smacks,

Thanks for posting your findings. Yes, rooted devices are not compatible with the app.

-DIRECTVNOWCare

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 10 of 133
Teacher

Re: Error Code 40 rooted device

its not only rooted devices that get error 40

Message 11 of 133
Community Support

Hi @shiba-dad,

DIRECTVNOW does not work on rooted devices. If your device is not rooted and you are getting this error, make sure you are updated with the latest firmware. Here is a list of support devices.

-DIRECTVNOWCare

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 12 of 133
Community Support

Re: error code 30 on Android App ???

Hello @mazjohn,

We do apologize for your inconvenience.  Yes, it's an issue on our end that we are quickly working to resolve.  We recommend trying the following and hope this helps!

• Restart your device/player.
  • Force close and restart the DIRECTV NOW®
  • Check for DIRECTV NOW app updates in your software store.
  • Uninstall/reinstall DIRECTV NOW app.
  • Look for device software updates in your software store.

-DIRECTVNOWCare

Message 13 of 133

Why does it not work on supported devices that are rooted?

Message 14 of 133
Teacher

I have a Firestick purchased new a week ago from Amazon, it is not rooted. I checked for updates and it says I have the latest.

I get the error 40 anytime I try to use the app, which I downloaded today from Amazon.

Not rooted, latest firmware = Error 40

Message 15 of 133
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support