Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Directv Now Streaming Box Beta

Contributor

Directv Now Streaming Box Beta

Is there anyway to volunteer to be a beta tester for the new Directv Now streaming box?  I’ve had Directv for over 20 years and have both Directv and Directv Now, but I never get the opportunity to try out the new products.

Message 1 of 99
ACE - Professor

Re: Directv Now Streaming Box Beta

It's an email invite only,  no way to voluntarily sign up for the beta.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 99
Professor

If it makes you feel any better, you aren’t missing anything. You’re much better off using any other device. You gain channel numbers with the new box. But you lose the ability to run many other apps, including Netflix and Amazon. Plus this Android TV device is locked down so you can’t side load anything. 

Message 3 of 99
Scholar

Since the BETA box is running android, maybe someone who has the box can extract the apk and other users can try it on their Android TV boxes.

Message 4 of 99
Professor

I’m working on that. But I expect the Fire TV apk I’m already running on Android TV to work better. The version on the box is designed to take over your whole interface, which isn’t a desirable thing. 

Message 5 of 99

For the past 2 years we have all been BETA testing the AT&T transition from dish to net. 

Message 6 of 99
Tutor

Yes, received it yesterday.  Cannot get it set up.

Message 7 of 99
Contributor

I've been using mine for 10 days or so and it will just stop and start buffering after approximately 60-90 minutes run time.  Have to go into settings and do a restart.   I have Directvnow up on our Apple4kTV and do NOT have the problem.  Maybe the "new streaming device" is not as the AppleTV box?  I don't like the feel or usefulness of the new remote either.

Message 8 of 99
ACE - Expert

I have had mine about 3 weeks. I must admit that I have had no problems at all the way I am using it. What 3rd party apps that they provide and I can download have performed with no issues. OnDemand and recording is something that I have not tested much but will get to later on. Just a comment on the remote - I hate it! No comfortable feel in the hand for me

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 9 of 99
Professor

If you got the survey in your email please fill it out and let them know your thoughts about the remote. Keep in mind it's already been redesigned:

4107948-0.jpg

Message 10 of 99
ACE - Expert

That's a different remote then the one that came with my unit. I like yours better!

Remote.jpg

Message 11 of 99
Professor

Sadly, I got the same remote as you. Pictured is the one they submitted for FCC approval last week. Beta 2.0 testers will get the nice remote.

Message 12 of 99
ACE - Expert

Bummer!

Message 13 of 99
Mentor

I received an email fro DTVN telling me my box was arriving shortly. I never signed up or clicked on anything. Last Friday my streaming box was delivered and I connected to one of my TV's and must say I like it. I wished it has Netflix and amazon prime. I would also hope that it gets a dedicated App button on the remote. But I like the channel numbers and google assistant  

Message 14 of 99
Tutor

Has anyone noticed a significant higher use of data than before the box?  I average 500Gigs a month.  This month I received a warning email from Comcast (dreadful company) telling me I'm 90% to a Terabyte of use.  Nothing has changed except the use of the new box.  

Message 15 of 99
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support