Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Directv Now Streaming Box Beta

Contributor

Directv Now Streaming Box Beta

Is there anyway to volunteer to be a beta tester for the new Directv Now streaming box?  I’ve had Directv for over 20 years and have both Directv and Directv Now, but I never get the opportunity to try out the new products.

Message 1 of 99
Contributor

Re: Directv Now Streaming Box Beta

I received my beta box and remote a week ago.   It easily paired with my tv and I have so far not had any issues to report.  I have all my other apps like netflix, hulu, hbo, showtime, starz etc... I am not mostly on the android or google platforms but for what i need it works just fine!  it starts up just as quick and seamless as my roku stick (which is still the best IMO) and better than my fire stick (not as responsive as roku).  I do implore people to make sure they have an above average wireless router and modem and a good high speed internet service.  I am still in the early stages of becoming more knowledgeable in using the beta box and will share more experiences in the future.  

Message 61 of 99
ACE - Expert

Report your results to the BETA forum. They would appreciate your remarks to file with the testing.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 62 of 99
Tutor

Still waiting on my box to come in. Got an email on the 3rd saying one was coming. Waiting, waiting, waiting . . . . . 

Message 63 of 99

Did you check the tracking?

Message 64 of 99
Highlighted
Tutor

Wasn't given one, just an email saying a device is coming. 

Message 65 of 99
ACE - Expert

Many have reported receiving the email and nothing more. No confirmation of shipments like in the past.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 66 of 99
Tutor

Same, got the email stating its on its way and then just a few days later there it was.

Message 67 of 99

Do you like it ? I love it
Message 68 of 99

That stinksT
Message 69 of 99
Tutor

Yes I think it is a major improvement. Controls are lighter and easier to use. Position and style of controls such as the volume switch allow “blind” usage in the dark easier
Message 70 of 99
ACE - Expert

The major issue with the box is its proprietary to AT&T. 

Message 71 of 99
Tutor

so far box has been in and family is using it just fine. apple 4k will come out tomorrow as were not using it anymore...

Message 72 of 99
ACE - Master

How is the new box for speed? That's why I use an ATV4K most of the time, 2 or 3 second channel changes as opposed to 15 seconds or more. How long to first video when you start the app?

Message 73 of 99
Tutor

I use an Apple TV as well in my house. I find that both devices respond very similarly to channels changes. Though I haven’t officially timed them, I go by the response of the load/staus bar. Both load to the next channel within one cycle
Message 74 of 99
Professor

@beww357  Regarding startup, there is no delay. If the box is powered on, the app is always running, and there is no way to turn it off besides powering off the box. But the stream does stop if you run another app. But when you exit any other app, you’re dumped back into DTVN whether you like it or not. When powered off, the box is just in standby. Power on is instantaneous. I haven’t timed a cold start from a total power loss. 

Realize that channel changes work differently than on ATV and are near instantaneous. On the box, you can go directly to any channel by entering the number or by voice. The Prev channel button on the remote also toggles between the last two channels, just like a traditional tuner. 

Message 75 of 99
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support